BWB Burns Night

needle

Actually, the hostel I was thinking of making Base camp is next door to the Hebridean (it has a bar downstairs). unfortunately I can't remember the name of it or the street. :(

There is one on Cockburn Street though, so yeah, near the station, easy to get to (two minutes from station and airport drop off), lots of pubs in vicinity, 14 quid a night. I'll keep looking for that other one though.

Edinburgh backpackers

reviews off..

They do double rooms from around 21-25 pp. I asked for availibility for 10, and it seemed ok.

Could almost wish I was young, free and single again- it's years since I've stayed in a backpackers! Such fun, hazy, drunken memories :mellow:

Reading this thread has sparked in me a perverse whim to travel to Scotland from my home in California, visit a lot of pubs, amuse all & sundry with my 'Scottish Dancing' (all learned here in the US) & meet some admittedly odd but interesting-sounding people. Plus, I like Robert Burns as much as the next person, and if I'm going to rend my haggis maidenhood, it may as well be done in Scotland.

Sadly for all of you, the cheapest fare I could find was over $500, and my husband is not exactly on board with this idea.

Perhaps next year?

Sell your husband and come and join the revelry, for more forward planning it looks like there may be another big meet in May for the visit of Ser Stubby from Australia. Any half-decent husband could be sold on E-bay in that amount of time.

Well, he is a good cook - does the shopping and cleaning up, too. Brings home the bacon so I can be a lady of leisure, is foxy, and has a great sense of humor.

I'm figuring I could get well into the 5 figures for him on eBay. They'd just pull the listing, though.

I am of Scottish descent, so maybe I could work it up into one of those 'visiting the auld village' sorts of trips. We'll see.

We could try cloning GoN of course and send her off to the Vinsky.

Hmm, or would that shatter the balance between both sides of the Force? :P

Think of the poor innocent midichlorians man!!!!!!

Do you want to kill jedi younglings until we die?

dont really have time to read the thread now, but i booked a flight, arriving to Glasgow Friday evening and leaving from Glasgow Sunday evening. Would love to stay longer but new jobs dont allow you to take time off. Weird, no? Anyway, expect me to show up at your place on Friday, GoN, and I hope somehow I will be able to get a place to sleep on Sat; i know people have mentioned hostels, but dont expect me to concentrate on details now ;)

Rant: i wont have internet access at home until February, which hopefully means theyll at least connect my telephone before that. I hope Ill get internet at work this week, but you never know how long the commission will take. For all of you who claimed Lux was technelogy oriented due to all the institutions placed in here, i say :bs:

I miss ya all.

Calling Zak and Mormont!

Right, you guys made any headway? Any idea what we are doing? because if we need to organise a private do, we'll need to get moving fast. I can try and do it from here, but was waiting for repsonse from you too.

Think I'll go ahead and book at that hostel mentioned for Friday and Saturday;

Sunday and Monday night I am off to the seaside (North berwick) if folk wants to do a daytrip to the beach (and pubs, and seabird centre) on the sunday that would be great, but I can't put many people up.

F-all progress from me, I'm afraid... since the Cally brewery fell through, and there appears to be nothing in the line of organised events we can crash, our best option remains finding a pub or hotel with a function room. Which I understood Zak was looking into, being as he's on the ground and all. ;)

But if you need someone to do some phone work, Zak, just let me know.

Been away for last 5 or 6 days, so done fuck all. How about we do

Friday evening - Night at Casa Daj in Glasgow?? Still ok Daj? - drinking, watching Blake 7, reading the boardgame rules AGAIN, etc. If folk are through here in Edinburgh i can drive them through for the evening?

Saturday day - Edinburgh. Daytime Pub Crawl. Private tour around Holyrood Palace by Ms Zak? (probably unlikely seeing that it's her birthday?) Walk up Arthur's Seat?

Saturday Evening - Hmmm the big blank. A No to organised events. My knowledge of small scale function suites is pretty minimal, so could do with help here Mormont. We need a fair bit more discussion about what is required here.

Sunday Morning - Brunch out. Drive out to North Berwick/ Gullane for walk, etc. Need to see about transport. Fee, what 's it like to get there?

How does that sound? How many folk do we have so far? What is required for Saturday - haggis, neeps and tatties; space for dancing; alcohol and ? More thoughts needed ... I'll try and ask around, but i'm going to be snowed under at work - the penance for taking 2 weeks off :(

Well, here's a list of pubs with function rooms in Edinburgh... how many will be available on the date I don't know.

http://www.bestpubs.co.uk/pubblist.asp?a=832&f=10105

Zak may be more up-to-date with which ones are best. I haven't drunk in some of these places for years. (Though I find I have drunk in almost all of them at one time or another. :P)

ETA - can't call around them while I'm at work, tho. :(

Archived