Best SF&F Author Thread

Werthead

[quote name='Eloisa' post='1326211' date='Apr 23 2008, 14.14']Blue Roses, you're taking me back to my childhood. I loved the Princess and the Goblin![/quote]
I know, George tends to get forgotten now but these are cracking stories, as good as Alice, Water Babies and Peter Pan and deserve to be read. I know I will definately reading them to my sprogs.

[quote name='Blue Roses' post='1326244' date='Apr 23 2008, 06.42']I know, George tends to get forgotten now but these are cracking stories, as good as Alice, Water Babies and Peter Pan and deserve to be read. I know I will definately reading them to my sprogs.[/quote]
Those are fantastic books. In packing away my childhood books (no more room!), I left them on the shelf without hesitation. They deserve to be there- glad to know I'm not the only one who likes them! :thumbsup:

1. JRR Tolkien (dated but nevertheless extremely fascinating. Its very rare that I read a book twice, such as LotR...)
2. Bram Stoker (I read "Dracula" the first time when I was nine years old. The result was a proper childhood-neurosis: Nightmares for weeks, constant feelings of dread, was not able to leave my room after sunset without "weapons", i.e. holy water stolen from our church, a crucifix, garlic.... my poor parents were seriously concerned. I read the book again as an adult and found it impressive not only to a boy's mind... :leaving:
3. Joe Abercrombie (I've just finished "First Law": Very dark, deep, absorbing, intelligent; and it includes some of the most memorable characters I've read in a very long time.)
4. Robin Hobb (she has her weaknesses in my opinion, e.g. some implausible turns of the storyline, but her characters are very well painted and quite likeable and the "Six Duchies"-world includes some rather unusual and interesting features, e.g. liveships, a matrilinear society, dragons with a complex live cycle etc.)
5. GRR Martin (rank five instead of one only because ASoIaF is not finished yet.)

By the way: This ranking is a really great idea! Thanks a lot for it!

And to round off, my votes:

1) GRRM
2) Peter F. Hamilton
3) Jack Vance
4) Neil Gaiman
5) Gene Wolfe

I noted a lot of people saying that they wouldn't vote for GRRM because ASoIaF wasn't complete. Laudable, but there's also [i]Fevre Dream[/i], [i]The Armageddon Rag[/i], [i]Windhaven[/i],[i] Dying of the Light[/i] and the stories in [i]Dreamsongs[/i] to consider, which I think puts him ahead of my other favourite stories.

I have, and my soul is being eroded. I'm about 50% of the way through and snowed under by work and housemoving issues. I'm hoping to polish it off on the weekend.

Mid-vote commentary:

A massive surprise who's in the lead ;)
Probably no surprise who's in second.

However, the jump in votes from second place to third is titanic. Third place is surprising, given he is so divisive on the boards. The low showing for Erikson and particularly Pratchett is also startling. But still all to play for.

Hey Werthead,

I was too curious to wait any longer and started to count the votes a few hours ago, just for fun because I wanted to see who's in the lead and whether my favorites will make a good position etc. Now I'm half way through and could probably finish the vote-counting and ranking tonight. Would this be okay for you? Or do you prefer to finish his job yourself? Of course, this whole project was your idea, so if you don't want me to publish the results I won't do it...

Sorry, but I'd prefer to finish it myself ;) Tradition, I did the board's Top PC Games thing last year and it was cool. I'll try to attend it in the next few days.

And yeah, I suppose people can continue to add to the list for now. If it suddenly explodes again I may have to clamp down on it, as I'll never catch up!

So, 85 people voted for 101 authors (technically 103 since two of those were collaborators).
[b]
The Ones
[/b]These are the authors who get exactly one vote apiece.

Iain M. Banks
Clive Barker
Ray Bradbury
Joy Dara
David Eddings
Glen Cook
Jonathan Lethem
George MacDonald
Robin McKinley
Patricia McKillip
Edgar Allen Poe
Frederick Pohl
Kurt Vonnegut
Margaret Weis & Tracy Hickman

[b]The Twos
[/b]As above, but with just two votes apiece.

Richard Adams
Amanda Ashley
Franz Kafka
Milan Kundera
Greg Bear
Edward Whittemore
Octavia Butler
Ben Bova
David B. Coe
William Gibson
Julian May
Ian McDonald