Best SF&F Author Thread

Werthead

[quote name='Werthead' post='1351211' date='May 11 2008, 14.21']Overall, I like the list, especially Wolfe, Bakker and Mieville's high showings. It may be interesting to do this again a year or two down the line and see if Abercrombie has kept his top ten position.[/quote]

I was thinking the same thing. Mind you, I have not read the Blade Itself yet.

I was debating buying The First Law, I hadn't yet because I'm not always a fond of the epics, but it seems the vote of the board is an overwhelming yes. :)

And Dylan, The Tea Party were about as indie as Matchbox 20 when I was in uni in Canada in the 90s.

[quote name='Bellis' post='1351215' date='May 11 2008, 14.29']And Dylan, The Tea Party were about as indie as Matchbox 20 when I was in uni in Canada in the 90s.[/quote]

Yea, The Tea Party is not indie at all ... They had music videos ....

[quote name='Bellis' post='1351215' date='May 11 2008, 12.29']I was debating buying The First Law, I hadn't yet because I'm not always a fond of the epics, but it seems the vote of the board is an overwhelming yes. :)

And Dylan, The Tea Party were about as indie as Matchbox 20 when I was in uni in Canada in the 90s.[/quote]

Key words: [i]In Canada[/i]. They were great but virturally unknown here in the US during the 90s, when I actually gave a damn about music :P

Damn, I've only ever read [b]4[/b] of those, although both Wolfe and Abercrombie (eta: and Mieville) are high up on my "too read" list. I never voted cause I couldn't come up with 5 fantasy authors that I liked well enough - this may be why...

[quote name='Ran' post='1351192' date='May 11 2008, 12.47']As to the list proper, meh, no Guy Gavriel Kay. Damn you, board! ;)[/quote]
Well, your course of action is obvious. Ban everybody, and do the poll over from scratch. :P

[quote name='Dylanfanatic' post='1351235' date='May 11 2008, 14.55']Key words: [i]In Canada[/i]. They were great but virturally unknown here in the US during the 90s, when I actually gave a damn about music :P[/quote]

I wish we had the reverse situation with NCKLBCK. Make them indie up here, and popular down south.

At least we've avoided the "elitist"/"populist" labels being tossed about so far. And as far as I'm concerned, you can have Nickelback all to yourselves :P

[quote name='Dylanfanatic' post='1351246' date='May 11 2008, 20.10']At least we've avoided the "elitist"/"populist" labels being tossed about so far. And as far as I'm concerned, you can have Nickelback all to yourselves :P[/quote]

Larry, just remember that the poll 'proves' what you've been saying for years: Borges > Jordan ;)

[quote name='Werthead' post='1351091' date='May 11 2008, 17.55'][b]Christopher Priest [/b](20)[/quote]

er, sorry Werthead, but this must be an error. Christopher Priest was nominated only one single time, by Amras in post 99. No one else even mentioned him. He cannot possible have 20 points.

[quote name='Jaerv' post='1351260' date='May 11 2008, 15.28']er, sorry Werthead, but this must be an error. Christopher Priest was nominated only one single time, by Amras in post 99. No one else even mentioned him. He cannot possible have 20 points.[/quote]

Wert's vote counts for 19 :P

[quote name='Lord of Oop North' post='1351264' date='May 11 2008, 20.34']Wert's vote counts for 19 :P[/quote]

Hmm. I will have to recount. I didn't vote for him, although he'd have been up there.

That's odd. And someone nominated Susanna Clarke as well but she didn't get counted. Arrgh! This is what comes of doing this stuff in the middle of a house move!

[quote name='Werthead' post='1351243' date='May 11 2008, 20.05']Christopher Priest's (relatively and very deserved) high showing (ahead of Simmons and Gaiman) definitely made my day :)[/quote]

...although this turned out to be a counting error (as was the non-counting of Susanna Clarke, who got a few votes). I'll have to revisit the count :(

It's great that Donaldson and Hobb are in the top ten. Michael Moorcock only got two votes, he's clearly not liked on this board.

[quote name='Werthead' post='1351211' date='May 11 2008, 21.21']I'm also hoping that Donaldson at least partially got the nod for the massive and excellent [b]Gap Series[/b] rather than the overrated and tired [b]Thomas Covenant[/b] one.[/quote]

I voted him for the Covenant books, but Gap series is great too.

[quote name='Werthead' post='1351272' date='May 11 2008, 21.55']Arrgh! This is what comes of doing this stuff in the middle of a house move![/quote]

well, let's hope there was no error with the house move! You're sure the new address is correct? ;)

Bakker at #3? I approve.

[quote]I'm also hoping that Donaldson at least partially got the nod for the massive and excellent [b]Gap Series[/b] rather than the overrated and tired [b]Thomas Covenant[/b] one.[/quote]

I concur on Thomas Covenant. Apparently though, I must try this Gap Series.

[quote name='Werthead' post='1351250' date='May 11 2008, 13.13']Larry, just remember that the poll 'proves' what you've been saying for years: Borges > Jordan ;)[/quote]

That much was a given ;) I can't wait to persuade you monolinguals to read some freshly-translated Spanish-language writers. Zafón being one that I think would appeal to quite a few tastes here, especially since his latest novel is even better than [i]The Shadow of the Wind[/i].

[quote name='Jussi' post='1351282' date='May 11 2008, 15.17']It's great that Donaldson and Hobb are in the top ten. Michael Moorcock only got two votes, he's clearly not liked on this board.[/quote]
Moorcock probably would've cracked my top ten if the list extended that far, and that's just based on the Cornelius and Elric books, as well as a couple of shorts (haven't yet tracked down much-lauded titles like [i]Gloriana[/i] or [i]Mother London[/i] yet). And definitely agreed about Donaldson. These days it seems like he gets more negative attention than positive, but for my money the Covenant series is still seminal. As much as I like Ice and Fire, Donaldson's work strikes me with more of a cerebral impact.

Archived