How I Met Your Mother

Jaxom 1974

I actually thought that the Lily "you're dead to me look" was an example of the show trying too hard, which it seems to be doing more this season.

But, I did enjoy the episode as a whole. I was a little surprised that they resolved Marshall's missing turkey so quickly, as that could have been an episode in and of itself. Gotta agree that the "I'm still in love with you" and Robin's response were awesome.

Saw the surprise slap at the end coming, though.

I actually thought that the Lily "you're dead to me look" was an example of the show trying too hard, which it seems to be doing more this season.

But, I did enjoy the episode as a whole. I was a little surprised that they resolved Marshall's missing turkey so quickly, as that could have been an episode in and of itself. Gotta agree that the "I'm still in love with you" and Robin's response were awesome.

Saw the surprise slap at the end coming, though.

TL, did you watch Buffy? I just thought it was a clever way to bring back DarkWillow.

And yes, the slap was so obvious, I'm shocked Barney fell for it.

I loved Lily's "You're Dead To Me" look, and I really love that it was almost a play off of her EvilWillow turn in Buffy Season 6.

Yes! That's exactly what went through my head when I saw it and I don't think Mrs. Jax really understood what I meant when I tried to explain it...

Gotta admit, I kinda forgot the slap bet was there...Slapsgiving, the set up and the execution of the episode really had an air of finallity to it that I actually questioned myself whether I'd heard right when it was originally made that it was for 5 slaps...silly me. I should have known.

While there was a seemingly small disconnect with the two seperate stories going on, I think I still like these kinds of episodes best. In that, I mean that the "A" and "B" stories, while not directly connect, still involves the whole cast in a smaller setting. The fact that they were all still in the one apartment for the most part helps keep some of the comedy streamlined. At least for me.

And who didn't see the "Slap Bet" board game commercial coming? I was just sorry that, unlike something like South Park (who if they had a board game commercial for Slap Bet like that) would have been unapologetic about it and not have run a disclaimer for kids right after it...

TL, did you watch Buffy? I just thought it was a clever way to bring back DarkWillow.

And yes, the slap was so obvious, I'm shocked Barney fell for it.

No, I didn't. I'm probably one of the only geeks why tried and thought it was awful.

Part of the problem is that the audience for Buffy and for HIMYM, except for in places like this board, don't really overlap that much, so I bet a lot of people thought the show was trying too hard there.

No, I didn't. I'm probably one of the only geeks why tried and thought it was awful.

Part of the problem is that the audience for Buffy and for HIMYM, except for in places like this board, don't really overlap that much, so I bet a lot of people thought the show was trying too hard there.

I'm sure. But here's a shot of DarkWillow to compare. It really made it infinitely more funny to me, at least. :P

The Dark Willow thing was obvious. This is not stealing, it is an homage.

The slap at the end didn't come as a surprise, and thus, was a disappointment.

Of course, you do realize they have to save the last slap for the final episode? No more slaps for us (and hopefully Barney has learnt his lesson, and will never ever enter another slap bet, ever again).

The Dark Willow thing was obvious. This is not stealing, it is an homage.

The slap at the end didn't come as a surprise, and thus, was a disappointment.

Of course, you do realize they have to save the last slap for the final episode? No more slaps for us (and hopefully Barney has learnt his lesson, and will never ever enter another slap bet, ever again).

I thought that, but then realized I could see Barney attempting to "cheat" his way out of the last slap, or bet his way out, thus causing Lily to assign him even more slaps. Besides, as we saw with Ted and Marshall, slap bet can still go on other side bets.

• 2 weeks later...

With the Vikings playing so well, how will they work that into the new episodes? The Minnesota bar and the 99 playoffs and all... I need to hear Marshall say how he used to hate Brett Favre.

I bet they won't do a thing about it...

Last night's episode was serious vintage HIMYM. I loved it - I loved all of it. Robin back to laughing at her own jokes (WHAT'S IN THE BOX!!?!?!?!?!?! and "Challenge accepted!"), Barney accepting an absurd challenge that was never a challenge himself (his walk of shame into the old woman's apartment was awesome), 15 year old Marshall (a tail AND listening to Snow's Informer? Full of WIN), and Lily being awesome, it felt like season 1 again.

Especially with the "focus" on Ted. I actually liked it this time around, he wasn't nearly as annoying to me - he was actually kind of endearing, especially with his shocked "Really?" response to the students who wanted to learn about bridges. I was minorly creeped out that he had a huge ass pic of Maggie up on the wall, but it called back to his slide show in Robin 101.

And really, who will forget: Make Adjustments Go Get It Energized? :lol:

Last night's episode was serious vintage HIMYM. I loved it - I loved all of it. Robin back to laughing at her own jokes (WHAT'S IN THE BOX!!?!?!?!?!?! and "Challenge accepted!"), Barney accepting an absurd challenge that was never a challenge himself (his walk of shame into the old woman's apartment was awesome), 15 year old Marshall (a tail AND listening to Snow's Informer? Full of WIN), and Lily being awesome, it felt like season 1 again.

Especially with the "focus" on Ted. I actually liked it this time around, he wasn't nearly as annoying to me - he was actually kind of endearing, especially with his shocked "Really?" response to the students who wanted to learn about bridges. I was minorly creeped out that he had a huge ass pic of Maggie up on the wall, but it called back to his slide show in Robin 101.

Pretty much my own thoughts exactly. The show is much better when none of the characters are coupled (except Marshall and Lily, obv) and allowed to be exactly who they are. I liked Ted and his class in this episode. For how much we've seen of the other characters at work, we really don't see Ted too often since he got his teaching gig (probably because he's boring, but they should fix that problem). Hopefully the rest of the season plays out this well.

It was good. Though you didn't think the pacing felt a little off? That was the only thing that was bugging me. It was minor, but it seemed odd. Other than that, pretty much of what you said is spot on. There was a little bit of everything in the episode. :)

Anyone have any predictions when this show will end? I am really enjoying it, but at the same time, the lack of any progress in the main plot gripes. I'm hoping they wrap it up soon, and bring me what I really want: a strictly Barney Stinson spin-off show. Hell yea.

I've always believed that next season should be the last, based on my own observations on the apparent age of the kids in 2030 and my understanding of how the main story should evolve from now ( half-way this season : we see the mom but don't know who she is ; end of this season ted meets mom ; next season ted falls in love & courts mom, end of next season ted & mom are together). This is a personal opinion based on absolutely no fact. :)

I've always believed that next season should be the last, based on my own observations on the apparent age of the kids in 2030 and my understanding of how the main story should evolve from now ( half-way this season : we see the mom but don't know who she is ; end of this season ted meets mom ; next season ted falls in love & courts mom, end of next season ted & mom are together). This is a personal opinion based on absolutely no fact. :)

Me thinks that we are not going to see the whole Ted&mother thing. Afterall, the show is called 'How I met your mother". It will probably end with Ted asking her out

It's sort of like Californication, in that the character achieving his goal will mean the end of the show. I'm hoping it'll be the end of the next season, as well. Not sure if I'll stop watching if that proves to be the case.

For the longest time I was completely okay with the show having no progress towards revealing the mother. What has started annoying me is that after last season, with the reveal that she was in his class (which we later found out wasn't his class), I thought there would be more about it this year. Yet since the premiere there hasn't even been a mention about him teaching the wrong class or anything to do with the mother. We haven't even gotten one of those episodes where Ted talks about a really important event that pushed him towards meeting the mother which we've gotten in the past.

Maybe I'm just getting a little restless since this season hasn't been quite as good.

Archived