Doctor Who: Season 4

Werthead

And [url="http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/s4/episodes/?episode=S4_11&character=&action=videostream&playlist=/doctorwho/playlists/s4_11/video/s4_11_trl_07.xml&video=1&date=&summary=The%20Stolen%20Earth&info=&info2=&info3=&tag_file_id=s4_11_trl_07"]here's[/url] another trailer, this time complete with a voice-over from you-know-who.

[quote]"The children of time are moving against us but everything is falling into place. Welcome to my new Empire, Doctor."[/quote]

Nice

EDIT: Ha ha. Nice bit of fangeekery there:

SPOILER: DW
Davros' right hand was shot off in [i]Revelation of the Daleks[/i] in 1985, so now he has a mechanical replacement.

gah, can't see the video Wert, why doesn't BBC allow people outside of the UK to watch their stuff? It makes no sense.

[quote]Uh, I'd rather a wee bit of make-up would give her the worn out look, not an ongoing battle with anorexia.[/quote]

I'm with you on that one pots.

[quote name='Houndred' post='1412393' date='Jun 23 2008, 20.51']gah, can't see the video Wert, why doesn't BBC allow people outside of the UK to watch their stuff? It makes no sense.[/quote]

Not sure, I'm guessing it's because the BBC is funded by everyone in the UK who has a TV and thus pays the TV licence fee, so they dont want to allow those who dont pay the fee free access. How that works with BBC World News radio I don't know.

[quote name='Derfel Cadarn' post='1412813' date='Jun 24 2008, 12.22']Not sure, I'm guessing it's because the BBC is funded by everyone in the UK who has a TV and thus pays the TV licence fee, so they dont want to allow those who dont pay the fee free access. How that works with BBC World News radio I don't know.[/quote]

The BBC World Service I believe is free because it is meant for those Brits who are abroad and don't want to trust Johnny Foreigner's news service, what? Especially when that news service may have the word 'Fox' in it (shivers).

Anyway, a universally-accessible version of the trailer is [url="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=qdG59XF8-ng&feature=related"]here[/url]. And a version translated into LOLspeak (with possible spoilers) is [url="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=V2GpkunUiZk&feature=related"]here[/url] :D

[quote name='Maltaran' post='1414909' date='Jun 25 2008, 21.28']Another trailer for next week can be found [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUe_dA4CHqs"]here[/url]. Exterminate![/quote]

As a long-time [b]Who[/b] viewer, Sarah-Jane's reaction resonates really well. I think the closest she ever came to dying was in [i]Genesis of the Daleks[/i] (several times) and she was mildly traumatised by the events of that story, so seeing an entire Dalek battle-fleet turn up is obviously going to be a bit of a shock.

Jack's reaction was weak though. He's survived fighting these guys before, he should be a bit more confident of the Doctor being able to save the day again.

[quote name='Werthead' post='1415128' date='Jun 25 2008, 17.09']As a long-time [b]Who[/b] viewer, Sarah-Jane's reaction resonates really well. I think the closest she ever came to dying was in [i]Genesis of the Daleks[/i] (several times) and she was mildly traumatised by the events of that story, so seeing an entire Dalek battle-fleet turn up is obviously going to be a bit of a shock.

Jack's reaction was weak though. He's survived fighting these guys before, he should be a bit more confident of the Doctor being able to save the day again.[/quote]

As I recall, Jack didn't survive, he got pwned. :P He just got lucky was revived by the TARDIS and Rose. Given the Daleks took over the Earth in the 22nd Century I'd be a bit worried Doctor or no Doctor.

Still, it was a bit wussy.

[quote name='Werthead' post='1415128' date='Jun 25 2008, 23.09']Jack's reaction was weak though. He's survived fighting these guys before, he should be a bit more confident of the Doctor being able to save the day again.[/quote]
What I find amusing is his "We're all gonna die!" Well Jack,, everyone but YOU, maybe.

[quote name='Werthead' post='1415128' date='Jun 25 2008, 23.09']Jack's reaction was weak though. He's survived fighting these guys before, he should be a bit more confident of the Doctor being able to save the day again.[/quote]

He didn't survive though, he got killed and then Rose resurrected him.

[quote name='Werthead' post='1413179' date='Jun 24 2008, 18.07']The BBC World Service I believe is free because it is meant for those Brits who are abroad and don't want to trust Johnny Foreigner's news service, what? Especially when that news service may have the word 'Fox' in it (shivers).[/quote]

Unlike the 'normal' BBC which is funded by the licence fee all British TV owners pay, the BBC World Service is funded by the British Foreign Office (and therefore ultimately from normal taxation).

I believe the reason that they tend not to let foreigners watch videos off the website is because they want to sell the broadcast rights to those other countries - although if it is just a trailer in this case I can't see the harm in letting others watch it.

More clips on [url="http://blogtorwho.blogspot.com/"]this blog[/url], including some cool ones from the following episode, [i]Journey's End[/i], which is longer than usual (65 minutes) and is named [i]Journey's End[/i]. Unfortunately a bunch of us won't be able to enjoy it as we will be elsewhere engaged by beer and frivolity in London ;) Ah, the iPlayer is truly a thing of greatness.

As far as I can gather the plot of the episode is:

SPOILER: Who
The Daleks have stolen the Earth and 26 other planets and teleported them to an unknown location where they have built a huge ship/station called the Crucible. The Daleks land and occupy the planet. They seem to want most of the population alive. The Doctors' former companions team up to oppose the Daleks, but the Doctor and Donna take a while to find Earth. We find out that Davros is alive and that Dalek Caan has rescued him from the Time War, where he was supposed to die. However, the experience of breaking the rules of time has driven Caan insane. Davros has built a new Dalek army. The Red Dalek is the new Dalek supreme. Unlike previous stories, where the Daleks and Davros ended up as enemies, in this one they seem to be allies, but Davros isn't necessarily in charge.

But -- but --

SPOILER: Doctor Who
Isn't he contracted to play the Doctor in the Doctor Who specials next year? :( :eek:

I'm [i]sure[/i] there'll be some kind of retcon or get-out clause here.

[quote name='Maltaran' post='1419536' date='Jun 28 2008, 14.02']Well, that was unexpected. Also impressive that they managed to keep it under wraps - no Internet rumours whatsoever. So, any bets on who's going to be the Eleventh Doctor?[/quote]

Someone ginger hopefully, and older. If this trend of younger actors keeps up the Doctor is going to be a teenager soon. Or at least mid-twenties.

[quote name='Alaerien' post='1419548' date='Jun 28 2008, 20.19']But -- but --

SPOILER: Doctor Who
Isn't he contracted to play the Doctor in the Doctor Who specials next year? :( :eek:

I'm [i]sure[/i] there'll be some kind of retcon or get-out clause here.[/quote]

Could be another multiple Doctors scenario, like the Five Doctors.

[quote name='Ouroboros' post='1419550' date='Jun 28 2008, 20.19']Someone ginger hopefully, and older. If this trend of younger actors keeps up the Doctor is going to be a teenager soon. Or at least mid-twenties.[/quote]

A ginger Doctor? Inconceivable!

Good stuff, although the whole episode is the most spectacular piece of professional fanwank I've ever seen. But hey, why not?

Davros was pretty cool though. I can imagine several million kids going "URRGH!" when he finally moved out into the light. Even more gruesome than the prior incarnations.

As for the cliffhanger:

I think the spoiler is that the Doctor's regeneration goes wrong and he nearly dies, but he survives (possibly his severed hand gets used to regenerate his physical matrix or something, or at least that's the explanation I'd go for ;) ) in his current form. How Sarah-Jane and Team Torchwood get out of their cliffhangers is unknown, however.

I wanted to see the Shadow Proclomations Warfleet, but alas the BBC spends more money on Reality Show number 59 or Detective Show number 1,534,383.

Yeah I bet he doesn't regenerate into someone new.

Noway they could have kept a new casting completely underwraps.

Great episode. Full of tension and drama. No slow build-up for once. I hope the inhabitants of the other planets aren't just ignored. Surely at least some of them would fight back. Some goes for the Judoon and the Shadow Proclamation (which kind of disappointed me. I was hoping for some great organisation). If they can follow the Doctor's trail, at least.

As for the cliffhangers at the end ...

I expect either Torchwood or Sarah-Jane (probably the latter) to be rescued by Mickey Smith. Don't know about the other, though. And something is going to happen to the Doctor to stop him being regenerated. I'm sure I saw a picture of David Tennant in the Christmas special.

Archived