Doctor Who: Season 4

Werthead

Very odd episode. They explained a lot and yeah, it was all interesting, but it seemed to be trying too hard to be clever.

Only one stand-alone next week and then we're into the two-part finale, right? The finale will hopefully be something special.

It [i]was[/i] an odd episode wasn't it? Not sure if I am going to like seeing River Song in future episodes. But, it looks like Donna's out will most likely be her meeting up again with the stutterer, my guess.

[quote name='Werthead' post='1387948' date='Jun 7 2008, 18.55']Very odd episode. They explained a lot and yeah, it was all interesting, but it seemed to be trying too hard to be clever.

Only one stand-alone next week and then we're into the two-part finale, right? The finale will hopefully be something special.[/quote]
Very odd? Does that equal an approval rating of 'so-so ep' from the Wert? :P

I thought it was ok, myself. Next week's looks terrible. Am I the only one who got the impression that Song won't return until/unless the Doctor has regenerated? In the last ep, she knew it was him, but questioned something along the lines of 'what regeneration he was on/his age' and then realised the youth in his eyes, or something. I could totally be imagining that, but it gave me the impression that Song never knew this particular incarnation. Is there confirmation that Tennant's leaving the show soon-ish?

I did like the episode, even if the premise is a little bit silly and the defeat of the shadows wasn't particularly dramatic (although at least the Doctor never shouted "get the hell out of my library" to make the shadows leave unlike certain other SF series).

[quote]But, it looks like Donna's out will most likely be her meeting up again with the stutterer, my guess.[/quote]

That would make sense, hopefully sooner rather than later. On the other hand, River's reaction to meeting Donna did feel a bit like implying Donna would come to a tragic end. Personally I'm hoping for the latter ;)

[quote name='Werthead' post='1387948' date='Jun 7 2008, 19.55']Only one stand-alone next week and then we're into the two-part finale, right? The finale will hopefully be something special.[/quote]

Two more, actually. Midnight next week, then Turn Left (which is when Rose returns), and then the finale.

Personally I doubt we will get to see the entire Doctor and Professor Song adventures, maybe she will make a couple of special appearances at some point but it felt more like a story that we won't get to see in full. I'm not sure we even need to really.

The Library episodes were easily the best of this season, but like everyone says thats not saying much cos most of the rest of it has been poor.

[quote name='Republika Hrvmaltska' post='1388644' date='Jun 8 2008, 14.01']Two more, actually. Midnight next week, then Turn Left (which is when Rose returns), and then the finale.[/quote]

Ah, slightly more annoying, but the pre-finale eps are usually good 'uns as well that set up the finale ([i]Utopia[/i] last year was excellent, lame cannibal villains aside).

Got round to watching this two parter today. I thought a lot of the ideas were a bit lame, but nobody does original scary monsters like Moffat.

I didn't get the impresion River knew the doctor in another incarnation, although it's possible I guess. What was intriguing is the idea that the Doctor physically can't (as opposed to just not feeling like it) reveal his true name until ... something happens (having sex? getting married?). If River is so deep in with him as that, then I guess she could be able to see through regenerations, as it were, and just treat him as an individual.

Altogether a good episode though they explained everything a bit too much. I think 90% of people had a good idea what was going on without them walking us through every step of the way.

[quote name='theAustrianMountainGoat' post='1389739' date='Jun 9 2008, 13.07']Perhaps the revelation of his true name can only happen in a situation which is bad for the Doctor since Prof. Song said she was truly sorry for telling him.

Maybe he now knows something terrible about his own future....[/quote]

Maybe they regain their name when they finally die for good?

At least there is going to be a nice spin on the Daleks being back this time.

SPOILER: Doc Who
I'm not a huge fan of Davros, especially as he showed up in every single Dalek story after he was introduced, but his presence should shake things up somewhat for the Daleks. I'm hoping they give the Daleks a good rest, say 1-2 years, after this season though.

That episode was complete genius.

By far the best of the series and one of the best since the programme returned. Well written, well acted. Nice and simple. Terrific.

Plus, Donna was hardly in it. :P

Where's the appeal of this episode?

SPOILER: Midnight
Half a dozen random characters shouted at each other for 45 minutes. Their behaviour was totally unconvincing - they were eager to airlock anything that moved with the minimum of motivation. No wonder the alien was apparently evil when all it takes to propel humans into a vicious gang mentality is to repeat their words back at them. :rolleyes: Okay, it was claustrophobic, but it was claustrophobic because all the characters were both loud and obnoxiously stupid.

Not pleased at all.

On the fence on the last one, on one hand it was pretty gripping and creepy (bringing the child like "stop saying that" to a whole new level), on the other hand why does someone have to DIE every frickin time? Time Lords must have a built in immunity to PTSD. I also wish they would have been more subtle about the Rose appearence, but then they show her in the previews so it's not like it's a spoiler or anything.

It was also interesting to see what happens when everyone turns on the Dr, you see how vulnerable he really is.

[quote name='Alaerien' post='1398724' date='Jun 14 2008, 22.24']Where's the appeal of this episode?

SPOILER: Midnight
Half a dozen random characters shouted at each other for 45 minutes. Their behaviour was totally unconvincing - they were eager to airlock anything that moved with the minimum of motivation. No wonder the alien was apparently evil when all it takes to propel humans into a vicious gang mentality is to repeat their words back at them. :rolleyes: Okay, it was claustrophobic, but it was claustrophobic because all the characters were both loud and obnoxiously stupid.

Not pleased at all.[/quote]
Yup. Agree with the above spoilered opinion.

And uh...I really dislike that they're upping the ante come next ep, where [i]every single[/i] universe is in danger. Ugh. You hit the ceiling of mortal peril, and where are you gonna go next finale? :rolleyes:

[quote name='Republika Hrvmaltska' post='1398593' date='Jun 14 2008, 20.29']Interestingly, my brother thought it was crap and cliched, and that the other passengers were annoying enough to make up for the absence of Donna.[/quote]

I think your brother might have missed the point somewhat: Donna is annoying but is supposed to be sympathetic. The annoying passengers, on the other hand, were supposed to be hard to like and flawed. They were representing the bad side of humanity: suspicion of difference, etc.

Alae, pots: I can't get behind those criticisms at all. The episode worked extremely well IMO. The characters were on the verge of panic: their actions weren't rational as a result. Yes, they hardly needed any motivation to start behaving badly - but that was the whole point. People in those situations often don't.

The episode was supposed to illustrate the worst of human behaviour: prejudice, panic, irrationality, selfishness, a desperate desire to believe whatever is most convenient and easiest to believe. This in itself is a brave move for a series that often goes on in a rather schmaltzy way about how wonderful humanity is as a species. This story was deliberately constructed to reflect the bad bits.

At the same time, it revealed some less-wonderful sides to the Doctor too: he genuinely [i]does[/i] think he's better than other people because he's cleverer, and he [i]is[/i] often guilty of patronising them as a result. Yes, maybe he is better than other people, but his behaviour is not entirely excusable by that fact.

On the other hand, pots, you have a point about upping the ante. ;)

Archived