MMA 3:UFC 87 Recap

Horus Ex Machina

[quote name='Barry Curie' post='1392583' date='Jun 10 2008, 14.46']I think that Matt Hughes will be ok. The nostalgia for him is always going to be strong. He went 18 - 1 there over a few years and was the most dominant UFC champion of his time. Of course if he fights Silva then he probably won't be able to remember any of that.[/quote]

Hughes will be fine. After his fight with Serra his contract will be up and even if the UFC doesn't want him there are plenty of other up and coming promotions that would kill for him.

Hughes would look like hamburger meat within a minute of the first round against Silva.

BJM is one of the consultants for the Fight Network, which I believe to be a Canadian cable channel BJ. That's why BJM had to stop reffing. He wanted to do the consultant thing and some athletic commissions see that as a conflict of interest with reffing duties. It's a good channel if your into MMA and/or boxing. It'd be a great channel if it didn't waste a third of its air time with 'proffesional wrestling'. It's called the Fight Network. 'Pro Wrestling' is a dance, not a fight. I hate that shit!

[quote name='Ken Stone' post='1392686' date='Jun 10 2008, 12.18']Hughes will be fine. After his fight with Serra his contract will be up and even if the UFC doesn't want him there are plenty of other up and coming promotions that would kill for him.[/quote]
He could go the Dan Severn route and never retire, just beat up no-names in tiny sideshows for the rest of his life. On a side note, does Severn owe the Mafia or something? What is his deal?

[quote name='Oorag' post='1393118' date='Jun 11 2008, 02.08']He could go the Dan Severn route and never retire, just beat up no-names in tiny sideshows for the rest of his life. On a side note, does Severn owe the Mafia or something? What is his deal?[/quote]

:rofl: You know he recently beat Colin Robinson, yes the man who was given two fights in UFC. He looked like he had dropped some weight and when things got a little rough he actually responded rather than lying on the floor breathing heavily. I think The Beast has seen the UFC HW division and is on the comeback trail.

[url="http://mmajunkie.com/news/4545/thiago-alves-on-matt-hughes-feud-missing-weight-and-whether-hell-wait-for-title-shot.mma"]Interview with Alves[/url]

Found this interview with Alves after the fight and thought this was pretty funny:

[quote]Alves' excitement over meeting Hughes in the octagon stemmed from an incident that happened a few days after UFC Fight Night 2 in 2005. Alves lost to Hughes' then-teammate Spencer Fisher via triangle choke at the event.

"A friend of mine was opening a school in Orlando, and Matt Hughes was giving a seminar," Alves said. "I went to visit, and you know how [Hughes] is. When I got there, he was like, 'Yo Pitbull, too bad you got here a little late. I was about to show how to defend the triangle.'"

The American Top Team fighter felt that the comments were out of line, considering Hughes was the current welterweight champion and Alves was just beginning his UFC career.

"I looked at him and was like,'Really, champion? Not right now, but maybe one day you can show me,'" Alves said. "After that day, I hated that guy to death."[/quote]

That is a pretty weak reason to hate someone. He was just flippin' him a little shit.

Well knowing how much a lot of people hate Matt Hughes' smug fucking attitude, you can't be too suprised.

I mean the vast majority of champs end up being shitheads with attitudes, and it is pretty rare to get one that doesn't. Off the top of my head, I think the spider, rich franklin, GSP to an extent (who can be a little shit calling people out right after their last fight), Randy, are about it.

I think GSP calling people out right after loosing a fight is ok. He always offers the freshly vanquished a rematch to, so it's tit for tat, wouldn't you think? But then, considering my handle, I'm not the most unbiased in the GSP department. I think anyone with a champion's mindset wants the rematch right as soon as possible after being beaten. They always believe it was a fluke.

Affliction just added Terry Martin and Vitor Belfort to their premiere card. You know it's stacked when this is going to be on the untelivised undercard portion. Nice job Affliction. I'm hoping they are more than a flash in the pan.

[quote name='GSP' post='1394802' date='Jun 11 2008, 18.40']I think GSP calling people out right after loosing a fight is ok. He always offers the freshly vanquished a rematch to, so it's tit for tat, wouldn't you think? But then, considering my handle, I'm not the most unbiased in the GSP department. I think anyone with a champion's mindset wants the rematch right as soon as possible after being beaten. They always believe it was a fluke.

Affliction just added Terry Martin and Vitor Belfort to their premiere card. You know it's stacked when this is going to be on the untelivised undercard portion. Nice job Affliction. I'm hoping they are more than a flash in the pan.[/quote]
Jesus, you'd think they'd save something for their second PPV.

Watching TUF. Pretty one-sided fight so far. But ... oh he finally got the reversal... oh well he gave it back up.

At least they go to third rounds now. They should really consider getting these fights sanctioned so they can count on a guys record.

[quote name='Horus - Spider Silva' post='1396657' date='Jun 12 2008, 19.42']At least they go to third rounds now. They should really consider getting these fights sanctioned so they can count on a guys record.[/quote]
I heard that the fights aren't sactioned because the results of a sanctioned fight have to be posted within a day of the fight happening, and if they posted the results, well everybody would know how the season turned out long before it aired on television.

[quote]I heard that the fights aren't sactioned because the results of a sanctioned fight have to be posted within a day of the fight happening, and if they posted the results, well everybody would know how the season turned out long before it aired on television.[/quote]

I have no idea if that's really the case or if the two sports follow the same rules on this, but if they do than how did boxing manage the Contender? All of those fights went on the record. But there was no actual leaking or posting that I know of until their aired.

Sure about that Il Chiarimento?

I'd be surprised they could have managed that because that was always the explanation for the matches in TUF not counting on the pro record: to count the results have to be posted somewhere official (so Vegas people can collect I suppose).

[quote name='GSP' post='1397452' date='Jun 13 2008, 08.20']Sure about that Il Chiarimento?

I'd be surprised they could have managed that because that was always the explanation for the matches in TUF not counting on the pro record: to count the results have to be posted somewhere official (so Vegas people can collect I suppose).[/quote]
I think he's right. Fights on "The Contender" [i]did [/i]count on their record. And I had heard the same as you guys about why the TUF fights had to be considered exhibition.

So now I'm confused. I guess it must just be written into NSAC's MMA rules. I dunno why they wouldn't just copy the boxing rules then make some tweaks to adapt it to MMA, but whatever.

Anyways, if I were a TUF contestant, I wouldn't want the fights to count on my record. Fighting 3-4 times in 6 weeks while living with a bunch of drunken fighters in the same house? Yeah, that would kinda suck.

[quote name='Il Chiarimento' post='1397278' date='Jun 13 2008, 17.28']I have no idea if that's really the case or if the two sports follow the same rules on this, but if they do than how did boxing manage the Contender? All of those fights went on the record. But there was no actual leaking or posting that I know of until their aired.[/quote]

Im pretty sure the contender results were out before it was on t.v. In the UK at least.

Oh and you lot probably already know this but did you know Bobby Lashley(of wwe fame) has turned to mma?

[quote name='BJ Penn' post='1397502' date='Jun 13 2008, 12.50']I think he's right. Fights on "The Contender" [i]did [/i]count on their record. And I had heard the same as you guys about why the TUF fights had to be considered exhibition.

So now I'm confused. I guess it must just be written into NSAC's MMA rules. I dunno why they wouldn't just copy the boxing rules then make some tweaks to adapt it to MMA, but whatever.

Anyways, if I were a TUF contestant, I wouldn't want the fights to count on my record. Fighting 3-4 times in 6 weeks while living with a bunch of drunken fighters in the same house? Yeah, that would kinda suck.[/quote]
I would. Especially since the same condition that you're fighting under also affect your opponent, so it's not unfair to anyone. Many guys, when they start fighting pro, fight on that type of turnover anyway, and I won't even get started about the amateurs. But the Contender is kind of the reason why I brought this up, because I knew that the fighters on that show get the fights to count towards their record. And let's look at it seriously. First everyone there expects to win, otherwise why are they there? Negative results on their record shouldn't be a consideration if they're on their business. Second, as a single-elimination format, at most you're getting one loss on your record but the gain is the possibility of one to three wins over up and coming contenders actually in the books. Even if you don't win that's good for you're career because they're going to be given that much more weight as official fights. No, if I was on the show, I'd want them to count.

[quote name='LessThanLuke' post='1398292' date='Jun 14 2008, 06.26']Oh and you lot probably already know this but did you know Bobby Lashley(of wwe fame) has turned to mma?[/quote]
I'd heard, AFL right? Interesting that he chose an upstart, but I believe that he's younger than Lesnar is and so has more time to build up his career. My first impression was that he'd be a big plus for Affliction, but then I reconsidered being that, for all intents and purposes, they are the HW div of MMA. Even a worse place than the UFC for a young fighter starting out and looking to get a few wins under his belt. Then I thougt Elite XC but then the shouts would go up for him to fight Kimbo. Now this isn't so bad bc even if he kills Kimbo he has pretty decent name value of his own and would be much more acceptable to hardcore MMA fans for them to build up. But there is also the concern about his style which is likely to be strict wrestling,... not yet well appreciated by American MMA crowds in general.

Been watching Burn Notice and now I'm considering re-enlisting, talk me down from te ledge someone. :smoking:

[quote name='LessThanLuke' post='1399067' date='Jun 15 2008, 05.54']Supriignly Lesnar is younger. Lesnar is 30 and Lashley is 31.[/quote]
That's interesting. I always assumed that he was in his twenties. Still I can't fault the move.

As for the roid's, most of that has to do with the presentation aspect associated with WWE Sports Entertainment. The never had to be that big to compete in wrestling. Even Brock was saying that he'd never wrestled at the weight that he performed at in WWE.

According to this article [url="http://www.ewrestlingnews.com/stories/Bobby_Lashleys_Future_In_MMA_Another_Producti.shtml"]Matt Hughes insight might have had something to do with Lashley's decision not to join the UFC. [/url]

According to another article, he was in training at American Kickboxing Academy before he got his offer from the WWE, so this has been in the works. Now that he's got some money in his pocket, taking his chances in MMA is less of a risk.

[quote name='Horus - Spider Silva' post='1399020' date='Jun 14 2008, 22.08']I would. Especially since the same condition that you're fighting under also affect your opponent, so it's not unfair to anyone. Many guys, when they start fighting pro, fight on that type of turnover anyway, and I won't even get started about the amateurs. But the Contender is kind of the reason why I brought this up, because I knew that the fighters on that show get the fights to count towards their record. And let's look at it seriously. First everyone there expects to win, otherwise why are they there? Negative results on their record shouldn't be a consideration if they're on their business. Second, as a single-elimination format, at most you're getting one loss on your record but the gain is the possibility of one to three wins over up and coming contenders actually in the books. Even if you don't win that's good for you're career because they're going to be given that much more weight as official fights. No, if I was on the show, I'd want them to count.[/quote]
Hmm. You may have convinced me to change my mind. I was thinking of it more as I'd want to go into a fight knowing that I was at my best, but now that I think about, fighters are rarely 100% going into a fight and always dealing with nagging injuries and whatnot.

[quote]Been watching Burn Notice and now I'm considering re-enlisting, talk me down from te ledge someone. :smoking:[/quote]
Has Burn Notice already started up again? Shit, I better set my DVR. I love that show.

You need us to talk you down from the ledge Horus?

You don't need the prospect of spending months in a boiling hot dust ridden hell hole, doing a job most of your country doesn't think you should be doing, with nothing to do but kick the sand out of your boots and hope the next vehicle that gets to your check point doesn't take out three blocks in an explosion, amongst a population that seethes with hatred at the idea that your there and the next austensibly civilian group that walks by just might start firing AK-47's and RPG's at you to do that?

I don't even know the show your watching, but surely it isn't THAT entertaining.

Archived