Goodkind XXXIX: Legend of the Yeard

Myshkin

Dalton is our poster-boy for the closest Tairy ever came to writing a real character. His grey-ness is clumsy and kind of accidental, but it's there. The only other character who might qualify is Shota, but that's cos she hardly ever appears.

As for the much-vaunted Stone of Tears, it's even worse than Jaxom makes out. I've said this before but it bears repeating - the actual Stone had [i]not even the slightest bearing on the plot[/i] - basically it's a great force of Eeeeeeevil, and Zedd found this out on about p2 by shedding a tear on it, then it vanished from the story until about 3 pages from the end, where we find out that its eeeeeeeeevilness is destroyed by the tears of a wizard... which, you may recall, happened right at the start of the book. Maybe on the same lines, GRRM can end the series by saying "Oh yes, the Others were controlled by that direwolf that died in the first chapter, so they're not going to invade after all".

[quote name='MinDonner' post='1490531' date='Aug 22 2008, 09.28']As for the much-vaunted Stone of Tears, it's even worse than Jaxom makes out. I've said this before but it bears repeating - the actual Stone had [i]not even the slightest bearing on the plot[/i] - basically it's a great force of Eeeeeeevil, and Zedd found this out on about p2 by shedding a tear on it, then it vanished from the story until about 3 pages from the end, where we find out that its eeeeeeeeevilness is destroyed by the tears of a wizard... which, you may recall, happened right at the start of the book. Maybe on the same lines, GRRM can end the series by saying "Oh yes, the Others were controlled by that direwolf that died in the first chapter, so they're not going to invade after all".[/quote]

Is not Stone of Tears, ironically, the longest novel in the series? You know, for the proper effect of having the titular object of the story to be truly effective... :P

[quote name='MinDonner' post='1490531' date='Aug 22 2008, 10.28']I've said this before but it bears repeating - the actual Stone had [i]not even the slightest bearing on the plot[/i]...[/quote]
He just called it that to try and lure in Jordan fans.

[quote name='hadaad' post='1487659' date='Aug 20 2008, 14.09']As much as I despised the book he was in, I always thought that Dalton Campbell was a fairly deep character. I'm sure that he is supposed to be a true morally-clear champion of justice, y'know, spreading the deadly clap to those who would side with evil and all that but I think he did mostly what he did out of pettiness and revenge. Maybe he's only accidentally deep, but that's good enough for me.[/quote]

Dalton was the only true hero of book 5...along with the attack chickens:

Unfortunately if we were to meet Dalton today he is probably insane from the syphilis creeping into his brain

[quote name='Muttering Bill' post='1490932' date='Aug 22 2008, 12.09']He just called it that to try and lure in Jordan fans.[/quote]

Shhhhhhhh...let's let that remain the worst little kept secret he continues to deny deny deny... :P

[quote name='Jaxom 1974' post='1496494' date='Aug 27 2008, 15.12']6 days and no new TG news? Ah well.[/quote]
I believe in every TG thread there is this slow moment around page 9-10. It will speed up quickly tough.
We'll be having a next title discussion by the end of next week

So, I have abandoned my re-read of Wizard's First Rule. I got to the part where Zedd convinced the villagers they'd lost their bits, and then was bragging about it when they realized that Darken Rahl tricked them. It's not disgust, it's just ... ehh, I just couldn't be bothered reading anymore. I'm going to take my TG books to a used bookstore and trade them in for something good. Or something unknown, if I can't find anything I know I'd like.

[quote name='HammerOfGod' post='1491181' date='Aug 22 2008, 16.06']Dalton was the only true hero of book 5...along with the attack chickens:

Unfortunately if we were to meet Dalton today he is probably insane from the syphilis creeping into his brain[/quote]

Dalton? Isn't he the one who strangled a hooker with her own underwear in one of the Quotes of the Day?

[quote name='Mad Monkey' post='1497272' date='Aug 27 2008, 17.15']Dalton? Isn't he the one who strangled a hooker with her own underwear in one of the Quotes of the Day?[/quote]

No, you're thinking of Drefan, Richard's half brother from the book Temple of the Winds.

[quote name='Foreverlad' post='1497439' date='Aug 27 2008, 20.10']No, you're thinking of Drefan, Richard's half brother from the book Temple of the Winds.[/quote]

The fact that I should have known that is horrifying.

Wait, how can a book with people with names like "Darken Rahl" and "Drefan" and "Kahlan" and "Zedd Zoolicander Zoourandus" (or whatever his name is, fuck that guy) also have a guy with a name like "Dalton Campbell"?

You know what? I'm starting to suspect that this Sword of Truth series might not be as well-written as Terry Goodkind would like us to believe.

[quote name='Mad Monkey' post='1497579' date='Aug 27 2008, 23.05']The fact that I should have known that is horrifying.

Wait, how can a book with people with names like "Darken Rahl" and "Drefan" and "Kahlan" and "Zedd Zoolicander Zoourandus" (or whatever his name is, fuck that guy) also have a guy with a name like "Dalton Campbell"?

You know what? I'm starting to suspect that this Sword of Truth series might not be as well-written as Terry Goodkind would like us to believe.[/quote]

Funny thing is, I actually had to look up the name myself. Despite having read all the books at least once, I'm finally forgetting a lot of the extras. I think names like Dalton Campbell exist solely because Greatkind was in full political mode. The Chamboors <sp?> representing the Clintons all the way down to their initials, I'm surprised that super mega magical airhorn thingy wasn't called The Fealwer or some other anagram of Welfare.

When Tairy's submerged in his imaginary world where only good comes from Objectivism and Communism is in the hearts and minds of all rapists, he retreats to a simpler time where all names are stupid.

[quote name='Mad Monkey' post='1497579' date='Aug 27 2008, 20.05']Wait, how can a book with people with names like "Darken Rahl" and "Drefan" and "Kahlan" and "Zedd Zoolicander Zoourandus" (or whatever his name is, fuck that guy) also have a guy with a name like "Dalton Campbell"?[/quote]

In Wizard's First Rule there was a minor character, a stable boy or something, named "Randy."

[quote name='Zap Rowsdower' post='1497677' date='Aug 28 2008, 09.04']In Wizard's First Rule there was a minor character, a stable boy or something, named "Randy."[/quote]
The fact that you know this. What does this say about you?

You must be evil manifest :uhoh:

[quote name='Exa Inova' post='1497687' date='Aug 28 2008, 10.11']The fact that you know this. What does this say about you?

You must be evil manifest :uhoh:[/quote]

Know what you should try to do Exa? Read WFR in Dutch.

That makes the book even worse :stunned:

Don't forget that Richard, Michael, Rachel and Chase aren't exactly the most "fantasy" names ever. But then you have Kahlan, Zeddicus, Darken Rahl, Jagang, etc... and no sensical pattern to it. Oh well, hardly the worst thing about the books.

[quote name='Mad Monkey' post='1498339' date='Aug 28 2008, 16.30']Yeah, these books are not as good as [i]Goodkind Is Our God[/i] sometimes implies they are.[/quote]

If you don't bite your tongue some sex-starved Mord Sith with daddy issues and an electro-prostate tenderizer will.

You've been warned.

[quote name='Zap Rowsdower' post='1497677' date='Aug 28 2008, 00.04']In Wizard's First Rule there was a minor character, a stable boy or something, named "Randy."[/quote]
Don't forget about Carl. Poor Carl :cry: .

Archived