Goodkind XXXIX: Legend of the Yeard

Myshkin

[quote name='kuenjato' post='1500863' date='Aug 30 2008, 23.17']Wow wtf book is that?

Didn't he name another dragon 'Scarlet?'

The name that stuck in my craw was the "Bill" from Southhaven*

[size=1]* (? it's bee ten years from WFR but I think that was it)[/size][/quote]

When Scarlet was first mentioned...the strangest thing happened to me...I kept thinking about Gone With The Wind...and the end where Scarlet O'Hara asked Rett Butler what was going to happen to her and Rett said {Frankly My Dear, I Don't Give A Damned} I cannot read the Red Dragon part of WFR without that popping into my head...and I blame Goodkind for not being a better writer and not making me remember that movie...

[quote name='HammerOfGod' post='1504932' date='Sep 3 2008, 17.43']When Scarlet was first mentioned...the strangest thing happened to me...I kept thinking about Gone With The Wind...and the end where Scarlet O'Hara asked Rett Butler what was going to happen to her and Rett said {Frankly My Dear, I Don't Give A Damned} I cannot read the Red Dragon part of WFR without that popping into my head...and I blame Goodkind for not being a better writer and not making me remember that movie...[/quote]

Who's gonna use this as a sig?

Hammer, that was one of the most beautiful things you've ever written. I truly mean that. :cheers:

[quote name='HammerOfGod' post='1504926' date='Sep 3 2008, 15.37']What happened to Carl...I just re-read WFR a few weeks ago...but I did not read all of it...lots of skipping around...I forgot the name of the broken jawed little princess...and her little companion that hid in the wandering pine...RAchel is it not...[/quote]
Carl got buried up to his neck in sand and then got force fed molten hot liquid metal by Big Daddy Darken. Poor poor Carl :cry: .

No posts for six days. [i]Page 3[/i]? Jesus wept people, is that what we have been reduced to?

Anyway, a round of applause as we welcome the [url="http://www.sffworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12415&page=9"]return of that age-old argument[/url].

That's right, [b]Sword of Truth[/b] has sold 85 quadrillion copies. Tor Books apparently are going round and loudly proclaiming how it has outsold their other big-selling fantasy series, [b]Wheel of Time[/b]. Which is kind of interesting as in order to do this, [b]SoT[/b] would have had to have sold more than 24 million copes in less than two years.

Obviously this was easily achieved for Tairy, with the mass-excitement of the imminent big-budget TV series ($50 million per episode, that's what I heard) that Speilberg and Lucas were denied permission to make and Rushdie was annoyed he wasn't allowed to script.

I always thought that citing Publishers Weekly hardcover print numbers can be just as effective, especially since the last couple of WoT books had an initial print run between 500K and 1 million, while SoT was around 250K. Both really high numbers, but I think allowing mi estrella to get people arguing just leads to him feeling better about himself. One could just politely suggest that he bugger himself on the cross above his mother's tombstone ;)

Anyone else think Goodkind wouldn't have the... uhm... web popularity he has if a certain celestial poster just didn't keep antagonizing people?

Don't get me wrong, the interviews, the unchanging author photo in the book... they'd definitely draw some attention, but I think you could accredit a few thousand disgruntled posts to our good friend My*

Definitely.

[url="http://www.publishersweekly.com/article/CA6487740.html?q=Confessor%2C+Terry+Goodkind"]Interesting though[/url], [i]Confessor[/i] got a print run of 600,000 hardcover, which is up a lot on the last one.

[quote name='Werthead' post='1521520' date='Sep 17 2008, 08.01']Definitely.

[url="http://www.publishersweekly.com/article/CA6487740.html?q=Confessor%2C+Terry+Goodkind"]Interesting though[/url], [i]Confessor[/i] got a print run of 600,000 hardcover, which is up a lot on the last one.[/quote]

The last book of a long running, bestselling series? Not that surprising, given they want to generate hype; a larger printing run is hype in itself. That said, I would not at all be surprised to see a lot of those [i]Confessor [/i]hardcovers in remainder bins for years to come (like many of the latter RJ books).

My favorite part is the idea that the numbers are "guarded like Fort Knox", so there's little actual evidence to support the claims. I mean, Wert, if you had a web page with cold numbers in front of you, you'd find it hard to argue right? Just as anyone would, but since there's no actual evidence, I guess you'll simply have to continue "looking to bicker", eh?

Lord almighty, it's like having a debate with a five-year-old. "Because I said so!" is not a valid argument, especially when presented with sourced facts. Although I did enjoy the bit where his in-depth analysis of Tor sales reporting means that he's just destroyed his own argument, proving that Jordan has outsold Goodkind on a massive scale.

Anyway, I now have to moderate myself and say that's enough discussion of other message boards and the behaviour of individuals thereon ;) Bad me.

Archived