Goodkind XXXIX: Legend of the Yeard

Myshkin

I remember way back after finishing WFR (the first and only book I've thrown against the wall), I read an interview to find out how the author's brain 'ticked'. I remember the Yeard stating that when he wrote action sequences, they were always to AC/DC. "Richard swings his sword to AC/DC" I believe the quote was. [i]That's[/i] what this new TV series needs to get the fans pumping - ball munching and skull smashing to [i]Hells Bells [/i]and [i]Thunderstruck[/i].

I am disappointed that this version of the Seeker lacks a mullet.

[quote name='kuenjato' post='1463104' date='Jul 30 2008, 20.20']I remember way back after finishing WFR (the first and only book I've thrown against the wall), I read an interview to find out how the author's brain 'ticked'. I remember the Yeard stating that when he wrote action sequences, they were always to AC/DC. "Richard swings his sword to AC/DC" I believe the quote was. [i]That's[/i] what this new TV series needs to get the fans pumping - ball munching and skull smashing to [i]Hells Bells [/i]and [i]Thunderstruck[/i].

I am disappointed that this version of the Seeker lacks a mullet.[/quote]

The only reference to music I remember from Tairy was saying he liked The Unforgiven by Metallica. Seeming so out of sorts with the world, I pictured him playing that single song on repeat day-in and day-out without ever listening to the other tracks.

[quote name='The Wolf Maid' post='1461487' date='Jul 29 2008, 20.45']Ilya,

No offense, but I find it amusing that you pretty much have the same avatar as my*. :)[/quote]

Heh. No offence taken, Wolf Maid. Honestly hadn't noticed we shared [what I think is] a delightful, giggle-inducing icon.

[quote name='Foreverlad' post='1462151' date='Jul 30 2008, 07.57']those mythical emotions don't really exist outside of your own desires. You don't have to love or care for anyone else, but being an O-ist means following the rules which means respecting the rights of other people's lives, which is where the whole vampire thing came into play.

Now stop making me explain things. I'm not a fan of O-ism and I don't wanna sound sympathetic![/quote]
You are assuming that Tairy is a strict Randian O'ist. He is not (mainly because he is not able to keep his rage and perversions from influencing his thoughts). He is a Reasonist, a sect of O'ism invented by Tairy's fans to explain why Tairy doesn't always adhere to O'ist principles.

[quote name='Foreverlad' post='1463112' date='Jul 30 2008, 17.23']The only reference to music I remember from Tairy was saying he liked The Unforgiven by Metallica. Seeming so out of sorts with the world, I pictured him playing that single song on repeat day-in and day-out without ever listening to the other tracks.[/quote]

I also vaguely recall Terry once saying that he was like [url="http://wiki.fandomwank.com/index.php/What_Would_Richard_Rahl_Think_of_This_Wank%3F"]Shania Twain[/url] because he transcended the boundaries of the genre or some crap like that.

[quote name='Zap Rowsdower' post='1463208' date='Jul 30 2008, 21.45']I also vaguely recall Terry once saying that he was like [url="http://wiki.fandomwank.com/index.php/What_Would_Richard_Rahl_Think_of_This_Wank%3F"]Shania Twain[/url] because he transcended the boundaries of the genre or some crap like that.[/quote]

hahahaha yes. People didn't like that Shania was stepping outside of general country music and expanding into other territory. I remember his comments on that one to.

I'm sure he sits in front of his 3 Shania Twain posters Day and Night when writing up his Mord Sith scenes. I bet he uses every ounce of his genius just trying to imagine her in red leather and poking him up the but with painful rods.

:leer:

[quote name='Foreverlad' post='1463212' date='Jul 30 2008, 21.53']hahahaha yes. People didn't like that Shania was stepping outside of general country music and expanding into other territory. I remember his comments on that one to.[/quote]

What?

*follows links*

Oh My.

[i]"Shania Twain had a similar problem with country music fans who resented her because her music doesn't follow the constrained conventions of country music. She has risen above category names. For most of my fans, so have I. Most of Shania Twain's fans are not regular country music fans. Most of my fans are not regular fantasy fans nor are they so bigoted that they think I must know my place and stay in it."[/i]

*blinks*

While I don't profess to being a fan of contemporary country-pop in North America, to say nothing of Australian country, it doesn't take a great deal of time to go and get a book on the history of country music and realise that the genre is nowhere near as simple and constrained by conventions as Goodkind suggested. Johnny Cash is not the same as Blackhawk is not the same as Gram Parsons, etc.

[quote name='Ilya Popov' post='1463250' date='Jul 30 2008, 22.31']While I don't profess to being a fan of contemporary country-pop in North America, to say nothing of Australian country, it doesn't take a great deal of time to go and get a book on the history of country music and realise that the genre is nowhere near as simple and constrained by conventions as Goodkind suggested. Johnny Cash is not the same as Blackhawk is not the same as Gram Parsons, etc.[/quote]

You're absolutely correct, but of course, that's the beauty of his statement: "Fantasy" or SFF isn't half as conventional as he makes it out to be. He thinks all the other authors write of sword fights and spaceships with little to no value outside of base entertainment. If he bothered to read the work of some of his contemporaries (oops, sorry, I meant his betters) he'd see he's talking out his ass.

That his fans feed him the endless compliments about how genre-defying his books are shows that they're mostly as ignorant as he is.

[quote name='hadaad' post='1462658' date='Jul 30 2008, 12.42']I'm re-reading Wizard's First Rule and I just got to the fire speech. People were in tears and one woman was wailing thinking of the damage that fire has done to society.

What a great read![/quote]
Curse fire! Without it, we wouldn't have the need for firefighters!

Mmmm... firefighters... :drool:

[quote name='Foreverlad' post='1463289' date='Jul 30 2008, 23.14']You're absolutely correct, but of course, that's the beauty of his statement: "Fantasy" or SFF isn't half as conventional as he makes it out to be. He thinks all the other authors write of sword fights and spaceships with little to no value outside of base entertainment. If he bothered to read the work of some of his contemporaries (oops, sorry, I meant his betters) he'd see he's talking out his ass.

That his fans feed him the endless compliments about how genre-defying his books are shows that they're mostly as ignorant as he is.[/quote]

I want to lock TG in a room with R. Scott Bakker. Just for an hour. Scott won't need more that to explain why TG suffers from a case of Strong Wrong.

Except that Bakker doesn't write about [u]True Heros[/u], nor does he affirm the [u]Nobility[/u] of humanity, while telling stories about [u]True Heros[/u]. This is why tairy has a tv show and Bakker doesn't. People want [u]True Heros[/u].

[u]TRUE HEROS[/u]

[quote name='Moosicus' post='1464893' date='Aug 1 2008, 04.01']Except that Bakker doesn't write about [u]True Heros[/u], nor does he affirm the [u]Nobility[/u] of humanity, while telling stories about [u]True Heros[/u]. This is why tairy has a tv show and Bakker doesn't. People want [u]True Heros[/u].

[u]TRUE HEROS[/u][/quote]

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeMmtP5Ory8&feature=related"]TRUE HEROES![/url]

[quote name='Foreverlad' post='1463112' date='Jul 30 2008, 19.23']The only reference to music I remember from Tairy was saying he liked The Unforgiven by Metallica. Seeming so out of sorts with the world, I pictured him playing that single song on repeat day-in and day-out without ever listening to the other tracks.[/quote]
Actually, it was Nothing Else Matters.
Why the fuck do I know this?
Anyway, GO ZOHAN.
[quote name='Zap Rowsdower' post='1463208' date='Jul 30 2008, 20.45']I also vaguely recall Terry once saying that he was like [url="http://wiki.fandomwank.com/index.php/What_Would_Richard_Rahl_Think_of_This_Wank%3F"]Shania Twain[/url] because he transcended the boundaries of the genre or some crap like that.[/quote]
Fantasy is such a shallow genera. All it has are commoners becoming heroes after finding swords and meeting mysterious women and gteting the help of wizards and outsmarting a villain who would otherwise be much better than them if the heroes didn't pull some major Deus Ex Machina from their pants. It's never something original, like Richard and Kahlan fatedly meeting, getting the help of Zedd (and finding a sword), and outsmarting Darken Rahl.
And, of course, chickens.

[quote name='GodofBalance' post='1465491' date='Aug 1 2008, 14.51']you guys are the opposite side of the spectrum
extremists suck
thanks a fucking lot[/quote]
There is no middle ground here, boy. Pick a side or go home to your mother. If you can't be extreme then nobody wants you.

[quote name='GodofBalance' post='1465491' date='Aug 1 2008, 13.51']you guys are the opposite side of the spectrum
extremists suck
thanks a fucking lot[/quote]

You are welcome. However, you forgot to sign your hallmark card.

Archived