MLB THREAD

Caliban

[quote name='Jaxom 1974' post='1550402' date='Oct 9 2008, 20.31']Welcome to my world. One week later. :P

See what game 2 brings.[/quote]
If they'd have just started Orel Hershiser like I told the too.......

The Phils got lucky. They can't live off the HR forever.

[quote name='Myshkin' post='1550415' date='Oct 9 2008, 20.55']The Phils got lucky. They can't live off the HR forever.[/quote]

Well, they pretty much have all season long, so maybe... but I agree, it would be encouraging to us non-dodger fans if they could muster some offense without the long ball.

I said it before, I'll say it again. The Phillies needed to win game 1. with all the momentum LA had coming in, plus the way some of the pitching matchups set up down the line, Philadelphia needed to take advantage of the Hamels start. Good for them that they did. San Francisco is cheering with you Phillies fans!

[quote name='Andrik the Unsmiling' post='1550548' date='Oct 10 2008, 05.10']San Francisco is cheering with you Phillies fans![/quote]
Don't invest too heavily. We've got more losses as a team than, well, anyone, ever.

And unlike the Cubs, the Phillies feign competence and competitiveness regularly, only to pull the rug out. They put something in the waters of the Schuylkill and Delaware Rivers that dashes hope.

I got a small kick out of Boers and Bernstein's show on 670 the Score today, it's their "Cubs Vs. Phillies" pre-game extravaganza, complete with broadcasting from Wrigleyville and lots of tongue in cheek references to the "game at Wrigley" tonight, like waiting for Lou's lineup and pre-game call into the show. I'm sure there's even some Cubs fans out there that could find this stuff funny.

[quote name='smegma' post='1551489' date='Oct 10 2008, 15.09']I got a small kick out of Boers and Bernstein's show on 670 the Score today, it's their "Cubs Vs. Phillies" pre-game extravaganza, complete with broadcasting from Wrigleyville and lots of tongue in cheek references to the "game at Wrigley" tonight, like waiting for Lou's lineup and pre-game call into the show. I'm sure there's even some Cubs fans out there that could find this stuff funny.[/quote]

Of course it was funny. Boers and Bernstein get it. And guess what? Good Cubs fans, good baseball fans, they get it too. Whether Sox fans want to believe it or not.

[quote name='Young Wolf' post='1551856' date='Oct 10 2008, 17.41']I thought we had a shot in the 9th to tie it. I also thought Blake's hit was going out.

Fuck...this sucks.[/quote]
Look at it like this YW, the Dodgers beat the Phils four straight in their own ballpark this year.

One thing I loved about this brodcast team was yesterday when Manny hit that homerun they made him sound like a hero, but when Utley Burrell hit their home runs in game one they mention how in Dodger Stadium they would have been outs. Well it look like Mannys did not even make it to the first row of seats unlike Utley and Burrells.

[quote name='Weekapaug' post='1552162' date='Oct 11 2008, 08.50']MATSUWALKA![/quote]

That was a fun first inning, wasn't it? I had visions of what Beckett did in ALDS game three but Matsuzaka did not walk a run in. Somehow. And still Beckett gets more respect than Matsuzaka does in the local media, probably the national media as well.

"Can you name a better starting duo than Lester and Beckett?"

I do not have high hopes for game 2.

[quote name='Commodore' post='1552591' date='Oct 11 2008, 18.44']Why is Beckett still in? Obviously he doesn't have his stuff.[/quote]

Nor does most of Boston's bullpen, really. It's important to get innings out of their starters, and if he can get through six, that'd be useful for them; they can preserve their relievers for game 3 and especially game 4 up in Boston. They can afford to gamble a little like that, since they've already secured a split in Tampa, and they're already trailing in this game. I imagine if they vault into the lead, they'll pull Beckett posthaste.

ETA: ... and, while I was haphazardly writing that post up, Boston came back to tie it, and still have only 1 out in the inning. Not so sure we'll see Beckett again next inning. But he did retire three in a row last inning, so maybe.

[quote name='add-on' post='1552764' date='Oct 11 2008, 21.41']Since when did 'two strike hit' become a stat? Wth?[/quote]

A while, now, no? I've been seeing that for a couple years.

Archived