MLB THREAD

Caliban

[quote name='smegma' post='1548172' date='Oct 8 2008, 14.50']Cubs picked up Harden's option today, a no-brainer. Even if the guy can only pitch half the year at full capacity, 7 mil isn't too bad. He'd still be about 80 times more valuable than Soriano.[/quote]
With Gil Meche and Kyle Lohse making the money they do, it is a no brainer. Frankly, I think Soriano is part of the problem in Chicago. If they could get some value for him, I think trading him would be an excellent idea.

[quote name='Weekapaug' post='1548190' date='Oct 8 2008, 14.03']With Gil Meche and Kyle Lohse making the money they do, it is a no brainer. Frankly, I think Soriano is part of the problem in Chicago. If they could get some value for him, I think trading him would be an excellent idea.[/quote]

His contract will keep that from happening...unless the Yankees want him back, and I don't know that there is much in the Yankee organization for the Cubs to get back in return.

That option on Harden is what, to me, means that the Cubs won the war over who got the better trade, Cubs or Brewers.

Who's on the market this year?

[quote name='Jaxom 1974' post='1548197' date='Oct 8 2008, 15.07']Who's on the market this year?[/quote]
Pudge, Varitek, Delgado, Nomar, Giambi, Teixiera, Ellis, Renteria, Bradley, Dunn, Ibanez, Manny, Kotsay, Abreu, Burrell, Byrd, Dempster, Lowe, Maddux, Sabathia, Sheets, Wolf, Fuentes, Gagne, K-Rod, Lyon, Wood, etc. (and I only mentioned the interesting ones, there are many others)

Pudge - Stays with the Yankees or retires
Varitek - Stays with the Red Sox
Delgado - Stays with the Mets
Dunn - Arizona will try, but he's heading to the AL I'm betting
Manny - Stays with the Dodgers or Yankees
Abreu - Stays with the Yankees
Burrell - This is a good question
Dempster - Stays with the Cubs
Maddux - Probably retiring
Sabathia - Angels or Yankees
Sheets - Yankees or Angels
Fuentes - Milwaukee
Gagne - Does it matter?
K-Rod - Stays with the Angels
Wood - Stays with the Cubs

[quote name='Weekapaug' post='1548205' date='Oct 8 2008, 15.15']Pudge, Varitek, Delgado, Nomar, Giambi, Teixiera, Ellis, Renteria, Bradley, Dunn, Ibanez, Manny, Kotsay, Abreu, Burrell, Byrd, Dempster, Lowe, Maddux, Sabathia, Sheets, Wolf, Fuentes, Gagne, K-Rod, Lyon, Wood, etc. (and I only mentioned the interesting ones, there are many others)[/quote]

[url="http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2007/12/2009-mlb-free-a.html"]Here's an exhaustive list.[/url]

[quote name='Jaxom 1974' post='1548213' date='Oct 8 2008, 12.21']K-Rod - Stays with the Angels[/quote]

I don't think so. I think he will take the highest offer and I don't think the Angels are going to be the ones to make it.

[quote name='Jaxom 1974' post='1548213' date='Oct 8 2008, 15.21']Delgado - Stays with the Mets[/quote]

They already picked up his option.

Mets are picking up one of Fuentes or K-Rod. I'm going to put the odds on that at 90%.

This off-season is going to be dominated by NYC. Both teams underperformed and are coming into new stadiums.

FWIW, I see the Mets signing Fuentes, Lyon, Hudson, a power outfielder (Ramirez, Burrell, Dunn, etc) and a 2/3 pitcher (Oliver Perez*, Lowe)

The Yankees are harder to predict because they'll be stronger in the trade market than the Mets, which means they might be in the 2B and CF market as well. They'll probably pony up for Texiera* and Sabathia though.

* Boras client

[quote name='Dinsdale!' post='1548653' date='Oct 8 2008, 20.26']The Yankees are harder to predict because they'll be stronger in the trade market than the Mets, which means they might be in the 2B and CF market as well. They'll probably pony up for Texiera* and Sabathia though.

* Boras client[/quote]

I think Hank is gonna wanna sign Manny, if only to give a big middle finger to the Red Sox. But that's the thing about crazy people, it's hard to say what they'll do.

[url="http://weblogs.sun-sentinel.com/news/specials/weirdflorida/blog/2008/10/talk_about_team_spirit_the.html"]Women in Tampa Bay getting Mohawks to support the team...south of the border mohawks.[/url] Aka, how to thoroughly embarrass and scar your children (at least the woman referenced in the article. Seriously, wtf?

[quote name='Rockroi' post='1545862' date='Oct 7 2008, 06.40']Yeah, convenient you didn’t mention the Yankees in this. The AL East has usually been a two horse race, but those two horses are always in contention. This season, it was a three horse race, and arguably the toughest division in baseball. And the Angels DID feast on a very weak division.[/quote]

The Angels had a better winning percentage against the AL East than the AL West.

Teams that clinch early often have trouble kickstarting themselves for the short series that kicks off the post-season. Not unique to them. The Yankees and Red Sox definitely benefit from facing each other down to the wire most years.

[quote name='Weekapaug' post='1550143' date='Oct 9 2008, 16.19'][url="http://weblogs.sun-sentinel.com/news/specials/weirdflorida/blog/2008/10/talk_about_team_spirit_the.html"]Women in Tampa Bay getting Mohawks to support the team...south of the border mohawks.[/url] Aka, how to thoroughly embarrass and scar your children (at least the woman referenced in the article. Seriously, wtf?[/quote]

And people said the Tampa fans do not support their team. ;)
Stupid question, how is the mohawk different from a landing strip?

[quote name='Gold Storm' post='1550324' date='Oct 9 2008, 22.15']And people said the Tampa fans do not support their team. ;)
Stupid question, how is the mohawk different from a landing strip?[/quote]
Er, the name? Or maybe the strip isn't clipped but left free? :stunned:

And Pat brought his bat! I think these are both going to be really great series.

[quote name='Weekapaug' post='1550326' date='Oct 9 2008, 19.17']Er, the name? Or maybe the strip isn't clipped but left free? :stunned:

And Pat brought his bat! I think these are both going to be really great series.[/quote]

I guess this is one time you would not want to see a spiked mowhak

[quote name='Gold Storm' post='1550339' date='Oct 9 2008, 22.33']I guess this is one time you would not want to see a spiked mowhak[/quote]
That's for true.

1-0 Phillies. Not quite a must win for them, but a extremely important win nonetheless.

Archived