MLB THREAD

Caliban

[quote name='DVD ROTS' post='1552766' date='Oct 11 2008, 23.43']A while, now, no? I've been seeing that for a couple years.[/quote]
Oh. Well, nevermind then. :leaving:

ETA: I fuckin' love Chip Caray. Just so everyone's clear on that.

Stupid ass wedding made me miss the entire game. All I got was text message score updates from my brother :(. I heard the end when I was driving back...the second I heard "Mike Timlin warming up in the bullpen", I knew it was a loss. Hey, at least we split the games on the road and now we get get some home cookin in Fenway.

[quote name='Weekapaug' post='1553002' date='Oct 12 2008, 08.17']Stupid ass wedding made me miss the entire game. All I got was text message score updates from my brother :(. I heard the end when I was driving back...the second I heard "Mike Timlin warming up in the bullpen", I knew it was a loss. Hey, at least we split the games on the road and now we get get some home cookin in Fenway.[/quote]

I was giving text updates to a diehard sox fan friend, who was out drinking somewhere... and I had to leave her hanging at "rays coming to bat bottom of the 11th, timlin pitching" because I went to a movie then. I feel kind of like a bad person today.

But Jesus, that game just went on and on and fucking on.

Edit: Home team bats in the bottom of an inning. I'm an idiot.

Ok, props to Kuroda for hitting back. And props to Victorino for not being mad he was thrown at, only being mad at the location of the pitch. And fuck the Phils if they are upset about this shit. You wanna throw at Martin and ManRam? Man up and be prepared for retribution.

[quote name='add-on' post='1552783' date='Oct 12 2008, 00.01']ETA: I fuckin' love Chip Caray. Just so everyone's clear on that.[/quote]

You could be joking, but I absolutely love chip caray. He was by far the most intelligent tv announcer I have ever listened to. He was great. I loved the "swung on belted" and the sarcastic over most's heads things he would say. Len is okay, but I miss Chip.

[quote name='Myshkin' post='1554600' date='Oct 13 2008, 21.10']That had to be the most heartbreaking game I've ever watched. I'm literally sick to my stomach right now.[/quote]
There was allegedly a game in 2002 where this happened to me too. I called in sick the next day and everything. :grouphug:

:devil:
:lol:
:leaving:

here's to that ever popular Rays-Phillies world series... I'm sure that's exactly what the networks wanted.

of course, the boston series is far from over. and i'll never call the dodgers dead until they really are... i'd hate to jinx things like that. but right now it looks like MLB's nightmare scenario for this postseason could be coming true-- the two least interesting teams face off for all the marbles.

[quote name='Andrik the Unsmiling' post='1554771' date='Oct 14 2008, 04.26']the two least interesting teams face off for all the marbles.[/quote]
It's interesting to the fans of those teams. And, you know, the teams are going out there and winning the games.

There are no extra points for "interesting", this isn't gymnastics.

I find it interesting that people perpetually complain about the NY/Boston/LA/SF/Chicago bias and when the prospect of a Rays/Phillies World Series rears it's ugly head, people complain that it's not "interesting".

eta: Let me clarify that I'm not talking about Andrik's opinion. Just what I've hearing from nyudniks on sports radio today.

[quote name='Ser Paladin' post='1554985' date='Oct 14 2008, 06.59']It's interesting to the fans of those teams. And, you know, the teams are going out there and winning the games.

There are no extra points for "interesting", this isn't gymnastics.[/quote]

oh, believe me, this is the series i was hoping for, so it doesn't bother me in the least. but you can't deny that phillis-rays is easily the least marketable of any possible WS... of course, in large part this is because the national media has been so busy hyping certain other teams that they never quite got around to talking about either Philadelphia (except for the "OMG, Manuel benched Rollins" incident) or Tampa (except for the "OMG, they came out of nowhere" angle).

But as a Dodger hater and a general rooter for the underdog, I'd be thrilled if it turned out the Phillies met the Rays in the series. But I don't think it's a stretch to say that various media executives would be less excited.

Archived