The New NFL Thread

Young Wolf

[quote name='DanteGabriel' post='1566104' date='Oct 24 2008, 11.49']Well, yes, I am sure we can all agree that [url="http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Terry-Bradshaw-was-all-roided-up;_ylt=AmDnhFZVX3RWgaeCGdkG7FZDubYF?urn=nfl,89945"]athletes who abused performance-enhancing drugs[/url] have no place in the Hall of Fame.[/quote]

Honestly Id be fine if they kicked out Bradshaw for his admission of roiding up. Id be fine if instead of Bradshaw you insert any Raiders legends into that scenario as well. I feel that way about every and any sport.

ETA: Also "Roids" are making the headlines again today as Deuce and a few others are suspected of "roiding" up this year and have supposedly failed a drug test.

I believe that ESPN found somebody in the Patriots organization that expressed those feelings off the record. I don't think it was Belichick or Kraft and that those guys made the response you see now.

Of course this is all guessing. But if I am right, that does not make ESPN liars. More lied to.

Football is such a [url="http://voices.washingtonpost.com/dcsportsbog/2008/10/redskins_tell_vomit_stories.html"]glamorous[/url] sport.

[quote]"Oh yeah, I've thrown up on the field," Casey Rabach told me the other day. "That happens a lot, yeah. Guys puke all the time. It's funny when the guy across from you starts puking, that's the best part. Oh my God, so funny. You've never seen a player who puked on the field? It's pretty funny. The guy's sitting there puking in front of you, and you KNOW you're just gonna kill him the next play. It's awesome. Jansen, you ever puked on the field," he called out to Jon Jansen, one locker over.

"Yeah," said Jansen, who was in the middle of interviews at the time.

"I'll bet you everybody's puked on the field at least once in this locker room, definitely," Rabach concluded.

But it turned out he was wrong. Alex Buzbee said he'd never puked on the field. So did H.B. Blades. So did Anthony Montgomery. So did Kedric Golston. "No chance, nope, never," said Ryan Plackemeier, the punter. Fred Smoot also said no.

Says everyone pukes. (By John McDonnell - TWP)

"Cornerbacks, wideouts, we feel like we're too, not pretty to do it, but I don't think we ever get that nauseous that we actually throw up," Smoot said.

But you know who DOES throw up? And gladly admit to it? Offensive linemen.

"Oh yeah, I threw up plenty of times on the field, in college and pros," Chris Samuels said. "I'm used to it, it's no big deal."

"Thrown up? Yeah," said Randy Thomas. "Especially the ones over 300 pounds....You do it in the trash can. That's what guys do when they've got a little money, they do it in the trash can. You've got millionaires running around on the field, you don't want to throw up on their feet."

"Fabini, if he starts, he usually pukes at some point in the game," Rabach said of Jason Fabini. "He's puked on the sidelines a couple times."

"Of course," Fabini acknowledged. "I think I vomited on Casey's foot maybe once last year. Or my own."

"He's got a gag reflex or something, more comical than anything," Rabach said of Fabini.

"Yeah, I do, but so does he," Fabini said of Rabach. "His is worse, I think. He doesn't throw up; it's like, 'Aggggh,' " he said, making gagging sounds.

And is it an advantage if your adversary starts to vomit?

"You hope so," Rabach said. "And that you don't get any on you, yeah."

But, I was told, that the locker room's ultimate vomit guy was the heart, soul and guts of the defense, London Fletcher.

"I'm a vomit guy," Fletcher admitted. "I'm SUCH a vomit guy."

This is probably common knowledge, and it's definitely been written about before, but Fletcher vomits on the sidelines just before games start. Like, every week. Like, more than once.

"Two, three [times], if I'm lucky," he told me. "Four, five if I'm not."[/quote]

It's like my Saturday Night every Sunday with these guys....

[quote name='Young Wolf' post='1566225' date='Oct 24 2008, 10.25']Honestly Id be fine if they kicked out Bradshaw for his admission of roiding up. Id be fine if instead of Bradshaw you insert any Raiders legends into that scenario as well. I feel that way about every and any sport.[/quote]

he admitted to 'roiding up'?

:lol:

The fact is bradshaw did not break the rules.

End of story.

Unlike harrison.

And belicheat.

but we've been over this.

[quote name='Swordfish' post='1566358' date='Oct 24 2008, 14.52']Was there something incorrect about the facts i posted, or is this just a random 'pot' shot?[/quote]
Was there a new point you were trying to make that is relevant to the discussion or were you just abusing the half rotted horse again? Of course there was no new point to be made because you are unable to comment on NFL discussion beyond spygate or any other wrongdoing of the Patriots. Clearly, you live to try and discuss it. This thread was much more intelligent and entertaining in your absence.
[quote name='Swordfish' post='1566358' date='Oct 24 2008, 14.52']Ha! 'herb'.... 'pot shot'....
:lol:[/quote]
...[url="http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=herb"]try on one of the other definitions, they fit.[/url]

[quote name='Weekapaug' post='1566383' date='Oct 24 2008, 12.10']Was there a new point you were trying to make that is relevant to the discussion or were you just abusing the half rotted horse again?[/quote]

is there something about that discussion that ISN'T abusing a half rotted horse?

it's an old discussion, i didn't bring it up. if it hurts your feelings for some reason, perhaps you should take that up with the person who DID bring it up, yes?

[quote]Of course there was no new point to be made because you are unable to comment on NFL discussion beyond spygate or any other wrongdoing of the Patriots. Clearly, you live to try and discuss it. This thread was much more intelligent and entertaining in your absence.[/quote]

you wound me, but I appreciate your eagerness to share your opinion.

I'm starting to think you have a grudge against me!!

[quote]...try on one of the other definitions, they fit.[/quote]

ha. You take yourself and the internet WAY too seriously.

Moving on, here is the [url="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3661845"]ESPN article[/url] about the sudden positives coming up on steroid tests. Only Deuce and Will Smith's names have been released thus far, apparently they both tested positive for "water pills" that work to mask steroids in testing. If you can test positive for a masking agent, it is that very good of a masking agent now is it? Word is there are at least 10 names on the least and the number could exceed 15. I wonder if these two are the biggest names meaning the other 8-13+ are practice squad/special teams type players or they are singled out for testing positive for the masking agents instead of steroids themselves. Should be quite a workload for Pierre Thomas suddenly now that Bush and Deuce will be out for 4 weeks.

So basically a bunch of guys have been busted for taking pills to make them piss a lot, ostensibly because pissing more means other illegal substances will clear out of the system faster? Maybe they were just trying to not get busted for smoking a blunt.

On the other hand, I don't suppose it matters, if it's against the rules and you're breaking the rules, that's that. But there does seem to be a possible difference in magnitude of the offense there.

[quote name='Mack Kilimaro' post='1566465' date='Oct 24 2008, 15.58']So basically a bunch of guys have been busted for taking pills to make them piss a lot, ostensibly because pissing more means other illegal substances will clear out of the system faster? Maybe they were just trying to not get busted for smoking a blunt.

On the other hand, I don't suppose it matters, if it's against the rules and you're breaking the rules, that's that. But there does seem to be a possible difference in magnitude of the offense there.[/quote]
From wiki
[quote name='Diuretics']In medicine, diuretics are used to treat heart failure, liver cirrhosis, hypertension and certain kidney diseases. Some diuretics, such as acetazolamide, help to make the urine more alkaline and are helpful in increasing excretion of substances such as aspirin in cases of overdose or poisoning. Diuretics are often abused by sufferers of eating disorders, especially bulimics, in attempts at weight loss.[/quote]
There aren't really any legitimate reasons these guys should be taking diuretics. Assuming the worst, in this case, seems to make sense IMO.

[quote name='Swordfish' post='1566311' date='Oct 24 2008, 14.24']he admitted to 'roiding up'?

The fact is bradshaw did not break the rules.

End of story.[/quote]

Did he take steroids? Yes. Did he admit to taking steroids? Yes

Just because it wasnt a rule or illegal to take steroids at that time, doesnt make it right or ok. It improved their performance then, and its killing them off left and right now.

You could argue that "they didnt know" what steroids were really about then, but Id say bullshit to that. You stick shit in your body, especially as a pro athlete you're going to fucking ask some questions.

[quote name='Young Wolf' post='1566777' date='Oct 24 2008, 20.37']Did he take steroids? Yes. Did he admit to taking steroids? Yes

Just because it wasnt a rule or illegal to take steroids at that time, doesnt make it right or ok. It improved their performance then, and its killing them off left and right now.

You could argue that "they didnt know" what steroids were really about then, but Id say bullshit to that. You stick shit in your body, especially as a pro athlete you're going to fucking ask some questions.[/quote]

We were talking about whether harrison would make the hall of fame or not.

Bradshaw didn't cheat, nor did he admit to 'roiding up'.

It isn't the roids that are the issue regardless, it's the cheating.

It's a pretty simple distinction.

Bradshaw didn't violate the rules.

unlike harrison.

And belicheat.

[quote name='Swordfish' post='1566852' date='Oct 25 2008, 08.13']Bradshaw didn't cheat, [b]nor did he admit to 'roiding up'[/b].[/quote]
[url="http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_574411.html"]Really?[/url]

;)

[quote name='Piper' post='1566896' date='Oct 25 2008, 10.28'][url="http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_574411.html"]Really?[/url]

;)[/quote]

From the article you linked:

Bradshaw, however, clarified his position yesterday during an interview with the New York Daily News. He said he was referring to therapeutical corticosteroid injections and not anabolic steroids, which are banned by the NFL.

Corticosteroids, which are used to reduce inflammation, are not on the NFL's list of banned substances.

"I'm not bodybuilding here," Bradshaw told the Daily News. "They were not those kind of steroids. They were anti-inflammatories."

[quote name='UNIT81' post='1566898' date='Oct 25 2008, 10.35']Corticosteroids, which are used to reduce inflammation, are not on the NFL's list of banned substances.

"I'm not bodybuilding here," Bradshaw told the Daily News. "They were not those kind of steroids. They were anti-inflammatories."[/quote]

I know. That's why I bolded the 'roided up' part, not the cheating part.

[quote name='Piper' post='1566900' date='Oct 25 2008, 07.37']I know. That's why I bolded the 'roided up' part, not the cheating part.[/quote]

I would not call getting corticosteroids from your doctor 'roiding up'.

Perhaps we have a different understanding of how steroids work though.

Either way, it's still silly to compare harrison and bradshaw.

[quote name='Swordfish' post='1567093' date='Oct 25 2008, 14.50']I would not call getting corticosteroids from your doctor 'roiding up'.

Perhaps we have a different understanding of how steroids work though.

Either way, it's still silly to compare harrison and bradshaw.[/quote]

'cause Harrison can spell Cat without you spotting him the C and the A??? :rofl:

Sorry, I always loved that Hollywood Henderson insult of Bradshaw. Henderson was quite the chatacter when he wasn't snorting up the chalk lines on the field. :P

[quote name='Trebla' post='1567174' date='Oct 25 2008, 14.18']'cause Harrison can spell Cat without you spotting him the C and the A??? :rofl:

Sorry, I always loved that Hollywood Henderson insult of Bradshaw. Henderson was quite the chatacter when he wasn't snorting up the chalk lines on the field. :P[/quote]

Ha. Exactly!

It's funny because it's true!

Archived