What are the best quotes/lines in the book?

Fireball07

"I swear to you, I was never so alive as when I was winning this throne, or so dead as now that I've won it." Robert Baratheon

In life, the monsters win. Sansa.

"You will return to Lord Gyles and inform him that he does not have my leave to die." Cersei

“The greatest happiness is to scatter your enemy and drive him before you, to see his cities reduced to ashes, to see those who love him shrouded in tears, and to gather to your bosom his wives and daughters.” Hodor

wait...

That could have been written for the immortal Kurgen or even Conan!

Ha! You know, when I read that in the books (and I've read them twice now), I never gave that line a second thought; I interpreted it as "Arya does messy embroidery". But now, reading it here, I can see the double entendre. Yes, I'm a bit slow sometimes. Love Arya though.

I think this one sums up our sweet litte Arya nicely:

Lady Smallwood "What do you like to do?"

Arya "Needlework"

Lady Smallwood "Very restfull, isn´t it?"

Arya "Well, not the way I do it."

"Not necessary, but some find it pleasant. What of love?"

"When the sun has set, no candle can replace it."

"Is that from a song?" Tyrion cocked his head, smiling. "Yes, you are seventeen, I see that now."

Ser Loras tensed. "Do you mock me?"

A prickly lad. "No. If I've given offense, forgive me. I had my own love once, and we had a song as well." I loved a maid as fair as summer, with sunlight in her hair

If there's a better way to sum up the silly notion of love fitting mushy songs when you're young, I've yet to find it

(After being slapped by King Robert)

Queen Cersie: (Holds Face) I shall wear this as a badge of honour

King Robert: Well wear it in silence or i shall honour you again

Give me sweet lies, and keep your bitter truths - Tyrion Lannister

"What is honor compared to a woman's love? What is duty against the feel of a newborn son in your arms ... or the memory of a brother's smile? Wind and words. Wind and words. We are only human, and the gods have fashioned us for love. That is our great glory, and our great tragedy."

This was the first quote that came to my mind, It's simply awesome and Ned who is the poster boy for honour and duty was put in the very situation and chose to save his daughter's life instead. Simply amazing.

“I am not your daughter, thank the gods. Leave me.”

“You are being foolish. I am only here to help you.”

“To help me to my grave. I asked for you to leave. Will you make me call my gaolers and have you dragged away, you vile, scheming, evil bitch?”

I cannot express how much I love Margaery.

On a reread, I just ran across Jorah's response to Daenerys when she tells him that Viserys could sweep the Seven Kingdoms with ten thousand Dothraki screamers: "Viserys couldn't sweep a stable with ten thousand brooms." I'd forgotten how much I loved that line.

“The greatest happiness is to scatter your enemy and drive him before you, to see his cities reduced to ashes, to see those who love him shrouded in tears, and to gather to your bosom his wives and daughters.” Hodor

wait...

Sometimes justice is just a pretty word, other times it's three feet of steel to the face.

Still Hodor, on revenge.

Sorry, it's not short!

" My Lords of Stark. The years have passed in their hundreds and thousands since my folk first swore their fealty to the KIng of the North. My Lord father has sent us here to say the words again, for all our people.

"To Winterfell, we pledge the faith of Greywater. Hearth and heart and harvest we yield to you, my lord. Our swords ans spears and arrows are yours to command. Grant mercy to our weak, help to our helpless, and justice to all, and we shall never fail you." said Jojen and Meera together.

" I swear it by earth and water" - Jojen

" I swear it by bronze and iron".- Meera

"We swear it by ice and fire".- both kids

That beautiful speech brings tears to my eyes, just imagining those 2 slight, slim Reed kids kneeling before little Bran, saying such noble and heartfelt words.

Maester Aemon to Jon:

" We all do our duty when there is no cost to it. Honor comes easy then. Sooner or later in every man's life, there comes a day when it's not easy. A day when he must choose"

“Joffrey, when your enemies defy you, you must serve them steel and fire. When they go to their knees, however, you must help them back to their feet. Elsewise no man will ever bend the knee to you. And any man who must say ‘I am the king’ is no true king at all.” - Tywin Lannister.

This was the first time I started respecting the guy. What follows only made me like him more.

"Men can’t own the land no more’n they can own the sea or the sky." - Ygritte

I found this very deep, but Jon wasn't even paying attention.

Also, the most powerful moment in the Song (IMO):

"EEELLLLIIIIIAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" - Oberyn the Red Viper

Archived