Currently acceptable word usages that you don't like.

Ser Scot A Ellison

Kat posted this as part of an individual's argument against the refurendum naming a sewage plant after George W. Bush:

[quote]This measure, whatever its intentions, disrespects them.[/quote]

I understand this is acceptable usage now but it just irritates me every time I hear or read someone use "disrespect" as a verb. It sounds wrong. I also hate "dived" instead of "dove" and "pleaded" instead of "plead." Whenever I hear a reporter say "the Defedant pleaded guilty to the crime." I want to ask if they "fleeded" from police before they were arrested.

Please share your usage pet peeves.

[quote name='Ser Scot A Ellison' post='1563535' date='Oct 22 2008, 07.05']I understand this is acceptable usage now but it just irritates me every time I hear or read someone use "disrespect" as a verb. It sounds wrong. I also hate "dived" instead of "dove" and "pleaded" instead of "plead." Every time I hear a reporter say "the Defedant pleaded guilty to the crime." I want to ask if they "Fleeded" from police before they were arrested.

Please share your usage pet peeves.[/quote]

Though "dove" is more recent than "dived", it's also not surprising you don't like it as it is much more common in the North than the South.

The one I don't like is the use of the verb "graduate" without the preposition "from", as in "He graduated high school." That always really grates on me; I get the image of someone drawing lines on the wall of the school to make it look like a graduated cylinder from chemistry class. :) It just doesn't sound right without the "from" to me.

P.S. And though it sounds recent, the use of "disrespect" as a verb may actually be slightly older than its use as a noun. It goes back to 1614:

[url="http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=disrespect"]http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=disrespect[/url]

Ormond,

[quote name='Ormond' post='1563541' date='Oct 22 2008, 08.13']P.S. And though it sounds recent, the use of "disrespect" as a verb may actually be slightly older than its use as a noun. It goes back to 1614:

[url="http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=disrespect"]http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=disrespect[/url][/quote]

Okay, interesting. Why does is "sound" wrong to me then? I didn't know "dove" was a Southernism.

[quote name='Ser Scot A Ellison' post='1563535' date='Oct 22 2008, 08.05']Whenever I hear a reporter say "the Defedant pleaded guilty to the crime." I want to ask if they "fleeded" from police before they were arrested.[/quote]

These two aren't exactly the same (although I know you're not saying they are). The present tense of plead (or 'pleaded' if you will) is [b]plead[/b]. The present tense of fled (or 'fleeded' if you will) is [b]flee[/b].

I'm not saying those reporters are correct, just that their own mistake is more understandable than your imposed one.

A relatively common mishap I see on the board:

[i]Then[/i]: which is an adverb and an adjective denoting a specific time.

and

[i]Than[/i]: a conjunction and a preposition toward the introduction of the secondary element of a comparison.

Differentiate. Please.

[quote name='Ser Scot A Ellison' post='1563546' date='Oct 22 2008, 07.25']Ormond,

Okay, interesting. Why does is "sound" wrong to me then? I didn't know "dove" was a Southernism.[/quote]

It sounds wrong to you because it was not commonly used by the people you grew up around when you were a child. Until recently it was much rarer in everyday spoken English than the verb "respect", so even though one can find it in written use back to 1641, it get interpreted as a new usage because it only recently escaped from the "rare learned" category. :)

It's not a word, but a grammar thing for me. I hate this formulation, and I see people using it more and more:

"People were talking about mine and John's relationship..."

I know it's awkward and you have to think in advance to say, "People were talking about the relationship I have with John..." or some other more correctly structured , but hearing the first formulation is like nails on chalkboard for me.

[quote name='Ser Scot A Ellison' post='1563551' date='Oct 22 2008, 08.31']Naz,

I believe "Pleaded" is the currently prefered usage. I simply don't like it. If they were saying, "He pleaded with the court for leniency." That sounds okay to me. However, "pleaded guilty" still sounds wrong.[/quote]
I'm not saying whether 'pleaded' is right or wrong. I'm saying that it sounds more right to people because the present tense already ends in 'd'. So, adding another 'd' sounds ok. Whereas, the word 'flee' doesn't have a 'd', so adding two d's to it sounds more wrong to people.

As such, when you tell someone who says "pleaded" that they might as well say "fleeded" is disingenuous at worst, and simply drawing the wrong parallel at best.

The better comparator to use is the verb "to lead". I lead. I led. I didn't "leaded".
Nevertheless, I'd expect to hear "pleaded" in this sort of situation, just like "She pleaded for mercy." Cites for both forms of the past tense: [url="http://www.cjr.org/resources/lc/pleadguilty.php"]http://www.cjr.org/resources/lc/pleadguilty.php[/url]

Me, I hate "my bad" instead of "my mistake". Don't know why, it just irks me.

[quote name='Azor Ahai' post='1563561' date='Oct 22 2008, 13.36']A relatively common mishap I see on the board:

[i]Then[/i]: which is an adverb and an adjective denoting a specific time.

and

[i]Than[/i]: a conjunction and a preposition toward the introduction of the secondary element of a comparison.

Differentiate. Please.[/quote]
You know, I never saw this happen until someone pointed it out (in one of these "speaky/writey things me hate" threads on this board) and I thought it was absurd that people would mix them up, but nope. They do all the time.

The one I remember from when I was a kid was using "of" instead of "have". E.g. "I could of...", "I should of...".
I never did it myself, but a teacher or two of mine would complain about it in classmates' work. Obviously they were transliterating how they spoke the expressions ("I could've...", "I should've..."), with the compression of "have" and thinking that they were saying "of".

[quote name='eef eef cummings' post='1563572' date='Oct 22 2008, 13.49']Me, I hate "my bad" instead of "my mistake". Don't know why, it just irks me.[/quote]
I always take that as an ironic thing and not intentionally poor grammar.

[quote name='Paddy' post='1563596' date='Oct 22 2008, 09.21']The one I remember from when I was a kid was using "of" instead of "have". E.g. "I could of...", "I should of...".
I never did it myself, but a teacher or two of mine would complain about it in classmates' work. Obviously they were transliterating how they spoke the expressions ("I could've...", "I should've..."), with the compression of "have" and thinking that they were saying "of".[/quote]
I've noticed a few cases in ASOIAF where GRRM does this.

Not so much a word usage thing, but I hate when people say "You want to come with?" or "Can I come with?". Is it so difficult to add a "me" or "you" in those cases? :P

[quote name='Greywolf2375' post='1563593' date='Oct 22 2008, 09.17']I did good.[/quote]

I [i]know[/i] - it should be: I done good.

[quote name='Paddy' post='1563596' date='Oct 22 2008, 09.21']The one I remember from when I was a kid was using "of" instead of "have". E.g. "I could of...", "I should of...".
I never did it myself, but a teacher or two of mine would complain about it in classmates' work. Obviously they were transliterating how they spoke the expressions ("I could've...", "I should've..."), with the compression of "have" and thinking that they were saying "of".[/quote]

This reminded me that from time to time I think about the fact that I frequently say, but don't think I've ever typed wouldn't've or shouldn't've. So now I have.

I have a list.

1. Mixing up affect and effect. There's a junior associate I work with WHO CANNOT GET IT RIGHT. I think I will send him to remedial grammar classes (if such a thing exists).

2. This drives me nuts: "Julie and myself went to the store." "Julie and [b]I[/b] went to the store," please.

3. "We grew the business 15% over the past 5 years". It drives me insane, but is used all the time.

4. I think this is a New York-ism: "I stayed by Mary for the weekend" instead of "I stayed at Mary's house for the weekend." Grrrrrr.

I have more, several of which have already been mentioned......

Zabzy -- 2's very Irish. Still wrong, grammatically, but I've picked it up nonetheless, along with more than a few other tics. :( :blush:

"Myself and so-and-so went out at the weekend..." I'd never actually write it deliberately*, but I say it without thinking.

*Except as an example, obviously.

Archived