November 2008 reads

mashiara

I finished Hobb's Shaman's Crossing, enjoying it muchly, about to start The Light Fantastic by Terry Pratchett. I'm going to get Deadhouse Gates back this month, and start working on that, because I really enjoyed Gardens of the moon. Other than that, I have Truman Capote's In Cold Blood, Steven Brust's Book of Athyra and Book of Taltos, and some other books for the month. Wish me luck!

I bought three books yesterday (two in person, one online) and am looking forward to using them in order to not get any work done on my thesis.

I started Good Omens, Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman, will likely finish it today. Then on to Margaret Atwood's The Blind Assassin, which was recommended to me by my best friend's mom; she told me to read Oryx and Crake, which was AWESOME, so once I was done with that I figured I'd go to her next recommendation. And in the mail is the first of Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn series. I rather liked Elantris, for what it was - a pretty good standalone fantasy book, with interesting themes about religion and magic - and since most people on this board regard the Mistborn series much more highly I figured it must be fantastic.

So yeah! There's nothing like having new books to read...or the smell of a bookstore...

[quote name='Argon' post='1574718' date='Nov 2 2008, 15.36']Time for some SciFi. I'm almost 200 pages into [b]Peter F. Hamilton[/b]'s "[i]Pandora's Star[/i]", 1st of Commonwealth novels. Hmm. I've almost quit reading SF because of, how to say this: limited visions and over-traditionalism of some authors. In this book, for example, the society has got the technology to create wormholes. Wormholes. Yet they still use trains which are powered by diesel engines. Oil combustion motors in 24th century. That's so anachronistic.

Anyway, I'm waiting for some "sense of wonder" in this book. A glimpse of this phenomenon behind Dyson Pair enclosure or something to build my anticipation. But no, all I get to read at the moment is tedious everyday routine of some of the protagonists.[/quote]

Were they diesel engines? It's been a while since I read Pandora's Star but I don't remember that, it does seem a bit anachronistic for them to be using fossil fuels (apart from the train to the planet that insists on low-technology). Using trains does seem a reasonably practical solution for transport through the wormholes.

I did like Pandora's Star overall but I agree it did take ages to get to the main point of the story, you have to wade through a lot of stuff that seems completely irrelevant at the time (although it will eventually all tie together) before the main plot really gets interesting. I did think the book was very good once they get to the Dyson star and start exploring (which happens about halfway through IIRC) and the battles at the end are also very good.

I finished [b][i]Blood of Elves[/i][/b] by Andrzej Sapkowski. It was nice to read a full-fledged novel by Sapkowski though I still wish they had printed the other short story collection first. The collection is not absolutely necessary but it certainly would have been nice. This book is the setup for the Saga so there's not a lot of action. Often the writing seems exceptionally simply yet the characterization is very good and the interaction between the characters is likewise very well done. I like that Sapkowski shifted between several points of view so that we could get glimpses of all the major characters. 9/10.

I'm now reading [i][b]Mistborn[/b][/i] by Brandan Sanderson and it's very good so far. :thumbsup:

I've just finished [i]The Stars My Destination[/i] by Alfred Bester and am left very impressed. Books like these are the reason to read science fiction. It started off a little slow, but after a few chapters the book grabbed me and I finished it in one sitting. Knowing that this was written in the 1950's only increased my regard. Contrary to many sf, the story has aged very well. If you have any interest in sf, I can't recommend this highly enough.

Since I'm participating in an informal online discussion of Gabriel García Márquez's OHYS next week, I decided that I would re-read all of his Macondo novels in addition to the ones I stated above. So over the next few days, it'll be:

[i]La hojarasca[/i]

[i]La mala hora[/i]

[i]Los funerales de la Mamá Grande[/i]

[i]Cien años de soledad[/i]

Just finished Caine Black Knife. It was as awesome as the first two books that preceeded it. Can't wait for the next book. Hopefully we get it sooner rather than later.

Also finished the third book of Cornwell's Warlord Chronicles. This trilogy has made me a big fan of the author. I'm thinking of getting his latest series about Saxons.

Currently reading The Hero of Ages by Brandon Sanderson. It started out rather action packed. Am only putting it down during work and sleep.

[quote name='williamjm' post='1574846' date='Nov 2 2008, 21.41']Were they diesel engines? It's been a while since I read Pandora's Star but I don't remember that, it does seem a bit anachronistic for them to be using fossil fuels (apart from the train to the planet that insists on low-technology). Using trains does seem a reasonably practical solution for transport through the wormholes.[/quote]

Well, I don't fudge a story. Page 23-MMPB DELREY "[i]He [Dudley] found it eventually on platform 18b, three single-deck carriages puled by a [b]diesel powered Ables RP2 engine[/b].[/i]" There's more of that. I reckon PFH was fond of trains as a kid. Yeah, nothing wrong with trains basically and yes there're other engines mentioned too. But heck, we've got already technology that eliminated the need of tracks and wheels, no?

[quote name='williamjm' post='1574846' date='Nov 2 2008, 21.41']you have to wade through a lot of stuff that seems completely irrelevant at the time[/quote]

Hell yeah, thanks for so much encouragement mate. hehe.

Finished [i]Fly By Night[/i] yesterday. Such a lovely little book, and so, so much better than [i]Twilight [/i](the [i]Time[/i] endorsement might have made me crabby, just a bit ;)). I know it's unlikely, but I'd love sequels on the Twin Queens and the Crystal Court.

Still having some trouble getting through [i]The Blade Itself[/i], but hopefully it'll pick up after a bit. And all these gushing reviews are finally convincing me to read [i]Mistborn[/i] again, even if I think Kelsier is a douchebag :P

[b]ETA: [/b]And if Peadar is reading this, note that I've friended you on livejournal as ___sasuka. I need more friends, seriously :cry:

Just finished Tom Lloyds [u]Stormcaller[/u] which was only so-so for me. I usually like the storylines like this, but this one felt poorly constructed and underdeveloped and I never really felt anything for the characters (except Lord Bahl (sp?) who was interesting). I am not really sure if I will check out the rest when they are published.

Just jumped into [u]Ragamuffin[/u], my first book by Tobias Buckell and I am really enjoying it so far.

After that I am looking forward to Jack McDevitt's [u]The Devils Eye [/u]which comes out tomorrow.

[quote name='Argon' post='1575224' date='Nov 3 2008, 12.21']Well, I don't fudge a story. Page 23-MMPB DELREY "[i]He [Dudley] found it eventually on platform 18b, three single-deck carriages puled by a [b]diesel powered Ables RP2 engine[/b].[/i]" There's more of that. I reckon PFH was fond of trains as a kid. Yeah, nothing wrong with trains basically and yes there're other engines mentioned too. But heck, we've got already technology that eliminated the need of tracks and wheels, no?[/quote]
Only the small engines were Diesel. Big ones were atomic, IIRC. It does make sense (well, sort of ;) ), if you need a cheap transport and speed isn't a priority. And, yes, Commonwealth series starts slow, but when it gets going, things become interesting. The same may be said about Confederation books, BTW.

[quote name='Joanna Nox' post='1575229' date='Nov 3 2008, 11.41'][b]ETA: [/b]And if Peadar is reading this, note that I've friended you on livejournal as ___sasuka. I need more friends, seriously :cry:[/quote]

You've been befriended :cheers:

[quote name='dits' post='1575175' date='Nov 3 2008, 04.32']Currently reading The Hero of Ages by Brandon Sanderson. It started out rather action packed. Am only putting it down during work and sleep.[/quote]

Same here. I'm burning through this book and loving almost every minute of it. I do have a complaint or two but they're very minor.

I've just finished reading Kelley Armstrong's 'Living with the Dead', a tale of a PR lady caught up in a supernatural turf war in LA. It's a good job that her best friend is a half demon...
'Living with the Dead' doesn't really do anything new (compared to previous books) but what it does do is done very well and I reckon fans will enjoy (I did). My full review is over [url="http://www.graemesfantasybookreview.com"]Here[/url].
I'm now well into Matthew Stover's 'Caine Black Knife' and totally getting why I've heard so many good things about the 'Caine' series...

I'm still slogging through [i]Tender Morsels [/i]by Margo Lanagan. This is a very well-written book. It's also a book that's having limited appeal to me personally. Combine that with a very busy schedule and not that much reading is getting done at the moment.

I read like nobody's business so that means quite a bit, but here goes:

David Gemmel's series: The Rigante, The Damned, The Druss Chronicles (all of the books, not just the first chronicles of Druss), and all but one of the Waylander books. I can honestly say I prefer Terry Brooks' Sword of Truth series to ANY of these. If you like long drawn out fight scenes, very unrealistic characters, behaviours, and decisions, and some mildly graphic (although a few were highly graphic in the Rigante series) sex scenes, than this is a good set of books for you!

Tad Williams Otherland Series (OMG I loved this one!) When my aunt first recommended these to me, I didn't think I'd like them. I'm usually not into futuristic type novels, but this one really hit the spot. It's a great combination of strange and unpredictable (and a bit confusing since he writes the series like one continuous book rather than stand alones). Oh and WICKED TRIBE RULES! I'm so having a Tshirt of that made with little yellow flying monkeys.

Sword of Truth: I've read the entire series in the last month with the exception of the new one that just came out...I think it's called Confessor or something of that nature (just found out it was out last night). I'm looking forward to reading it as it concludes the series. While not the best series I've ever read, it passes time until Dance with Dragons comes out.

John Marco: I'm trying to read one of his books as we speak but I just can't seem to get into it. Some books are the kind you just can't put down. This is NOT the case with this one.

Past Reads: Wheel of Time series: I've reread these a few times and am a huge fan. Although they've finally decided who will write the last book since Robert Jordon has died. It's some guys who's been on the top seller's list, but he can't be all THAT great if no one I know has ever even heard of him. Thankfully RJ left scene by scene detailed notes for the last book and we get to find out who killed Asmodean (finally!). I'm looking forward to reading this when it comes out.

AND OF COURSE: ASOIAF: I've reread these bunches of times and still find them to be the ones I can't put down!

It's been awhile since I listed and some of these I might have mentioned already.

[i]Fast Ships, Black Sails[/i] edtied by Ann and Jeff VanderMeer. Had two stories to finish off that I previously couldn't get into and hadn't realized I let them go until I went to shelve the book.

[i]Couch[/i] by Benjamin Parzybok -- delightful book that probably won't get a lot of attention but I feel should.

[i]Doctor Olaf van Schuler's Brain[/i] by Kirsten Menger-Anderson -- very interesting and the writing is simply compelling. Never a book I expected to like as much as I did.

[i]Pretty Monsters[/i] by Kelly Link . An uneven bag of tricks but some really good stuff mixed in.

[i]Undone[/i] by Rachel Caine. Her last book in the Weather Wardens series had a few more flaws than I think it should have. This is a new series starter in the same setting. Has the same Caine style, which I enjoy, and a bit fresher than maybe the most recent Weather Wardens book was, but it lacked the overall fun and charm I always got with the first series. I think maybe Caine needs to drop a few of her projects (this make three ongoing series) and focus just on Weather Wardens. At its best it certainly matches Briggs's Mercy Thompson series and with a bit more depth and complexity in each book, I think Caine could reach hardcover status. As it is, all of her series have too much of a serial cliffhanger effect, huge buildup and little resolution and any fo that merely sets the stage for the next book. Very frustrating in books that are only a couple hundred pages.

[i]Long Walks, Last Flights & Other Strange Journeys[/i] by Ken Scholes. Not as good as I thought it would be. Nothing really stuck out in this collection and I thought it would seeing as how he has captured Tor's interest the way he has. And [i]Lamentation[/i] was okay but it was hardly stunning or brilliant and really had some over simplified flaws that I felt hobbled the book considerably.

[i]Patient Zero[/i] by Jonathan Mayberry. Okay I guess. Way too many mainstream flavor of the month tropes though mixed together in a way that came off as more movie pitch than an actually realized novel.

[i]Blood and Ice[/i] by Robert Masello. A bit odd. Meanders and tries too hard. And yet I zipped through this pretty fast so something clicked. Though I've found bad books can be quick reads. I don't think this was that bad.

[i]Twelve[/i] by Jasper Kent. Decent. I knew the plot already so I'm not sure if the one element was supposed to be a twist or not. If so it wasn't much of one. And a bit too anachronistic in how the characters see their supposed early 19 th century world. Another that the underpinings of an author struggling to take popular elements in the genres and mix them up just to be "different". The ending really stuttered as well for me. Still I will be picking up the second book as there is a hint of strong raw talent and if Kent delves deeper into his period work with strong detail, it could pick up tremendously. I do wish that authors that tackle historical period would realize that a few courses at University and a backpacking trip during holiday do not an expert make by any means.

[i]The Adamantine Palace[/i] by Stephen Deas. One of those pushed books in fantasy that I can see others liking but it was like Brent Weeks or Joe Abercrombie in that the elements were there but nothing held them together as I felt they should be. Not a bad book per se but it took me some effort to finish it. A bit too much fiddling with tropes in what I saw as a forced effort to be unique rather than just seeming to have an element of originality to an idea.

[i]Regenesis[/i] by C. J. Cherryh. I liked it. But it was odd the way the tone seemed to play too much on the first book as being the "first" book; which I had read as a standalone with room to have followups. Yet this was a true sequel. Which was just odd. Or it was to me. I thought it might pick up right after in some regards but I thought it would read as more of a standalone book in the action and plot. Set in the same world with the same characters but not relying so much on the book that was written quitea few years ago. Still I love Cherryh and [i]Cyteen[/i] was easily my favorite of her non-Alien books by far. I really liked this one as well.

[i]More Information Than You Require[/i] by John Hodgman. Hodgman always cracks me up (though the Apple ads have worn out their charm awhile ago)

[i]Enclave[/i] by Kit Reed. I liked this one quite a bit. Predictable yes, but it read fast and Reed captures modern culture quite well with this without coming off too preachy which it very easily could have.

[i]The Sharing Knife: Horizon[/i] by Lois McMaster Bujold. Solid finale to the Sharing Knife series (though not the last book I'm guessing in the long run). Heavy romance but a well realized fantasy and a really fun travelogue through the American Midwest in many ways.

Hopefully my sister-in-law is coming through with a copy of [i]The Judging Eye[/i] in a week or so.

Archived