November 2008 reads

mashiara

[quote name='Peadar' post='1578976' date='Nov 5 2008, 13.12']Next up is [url="http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Twilight-Nessantico-Magnificent-Fantasy/dp/0756404665/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1225915865&sr=1-1"]A Magic of Twilight[/url] by S. L. Farrell.[/quote]

I'm really interested in what you think of this one. I was one of the winners from Pat's contest, but I haven't read it yet.

[quote name='RedEyedGhost' post='1579012' date='Nov 5 2008, 13.31']I'm really interested in what you think of this one. I was one of the winners from Pat's contest, but I haven't read it yet.[/quote]

I enjoyed it quite a bit.

[quote name='RedEyedGhost' post='1579012' date='Nov 5 2008, 20.31']I'm really interested in what you think of this one. I was one of the winners from Pat's contest, but I haven't read it yet.[/quote]

If it's any help, there are lovely maps at the start. :) Also, the introduction is well written. I'll review the next three pages when I get to them :leaving:

[quote name='Elrostar' post='1578959' date='Nov 5 2008, 15.02']Still working my way through Ulysses. Slowly but surely. It's been taking me a while.[/quote]
It's one of my all time favourite books in the world. I should re-read it.
I am reading Last Samurai by Helen DeWitt - what a wonderful book, very eloquent, stylish, erudite - challenges your knowledge of Greek classics and Japanese grammar, and ability to solve mathematical problems. Beautiful book.

[quote name='Peadar' post='1578976' date='Nov 5 2008, 21.12']Next up is [url="http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Twilight-Nessantico-Magnificent-Fantasy/dp/0756404665/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1225915865&sr=1-1"]A Magic of Twilight[/url] by S. L. Farrell.[/quote]

I'd like to see your extended opinion on this one, please.

[quote name='kcf' post='1579014' date='Nov 5 2008, 13.32']I enjoyed it quite a bit.[/quote]

iirc Pat also had a good review for it. Usually that (both of you liking the same book) is enough to make me pick up a book, but I've been a little burnt out on epic fanatsy lately. I think that burn out is the real reason I haven't read it yet. Although my recent and current reads ([u]Hero of Ages[/u] and [u]Thunderer[/u]) are definitely reingniting my interest in the subgenre. :)

[quote name='Peadar' post='1579015' date='Nov 5 2008, 13.34']If it's any help, there are lovely maps at the start. :) Also, the introduction is well written. I'll review the next three pages when I get to them :leaving:[/quote]

I'm a very big fan of maps :thumbsup:

I'd find a review every two pages a bit more helpful. If it's not too much of an inconvenience ;)

I've just finished Neil Gaiman's [i]Neverwhere[/i]. It was enjoyable, but nothing special. Maybe it's because I'm not a big fan of the whole 'fairytale for grown-ups' thing.
I'm not sure what I'm going to read next. Maybe another book from the SF Masterworks series.

[quote name='RedEyedGhost' post='1579012' date='Nov 5 2008, 14.31']I'm really interested in what you think of this one. I was one of the winners from Pat's contest, but I haven't read it yet.[/quote]
REG, I thought it was fairly good. Nothing ground-breaking and it didn't really stand out, just kind of standard fantasy fare. I think I gave it a 7 out of 10.

[quote name='beniowa' post='1579293' date='Nov 5 2008, 18.02']REG, I thought it was fairly good. Nothing ground-breaking and it didn't really stand out, just kind of standard fantasy fare. I think I gave it a 7 out of 10.[/quote]

Thanks Ben! Couple of question for you (and anybody that's read it).

How realistic is the political intrigue?
What's the magic like (if there is any)?
Do you know how many books it will be? "Cycle" is kind of vague.

I've just finished reading Brent Weeks' 'The Way of Shadows', a tale of assassins, magic and intrigue... It's sometimes a little on the light side (for me) but is otherwise a fast paced and very entertaining read. My full review is over [url="http://www.graemesfantasybookreview.com"]Here[/url].
I'm now well into Stephen Deas' 'The Adamantine Palace' which is very good indeed!

[quote name='QueenCersei' post='1579016' date='Nov 5 2008, 15.34']It's one of my all time favourite books in the world. I should re-read it.
I am reading Last Samurai by Helen DeWitt - what a wonderful book, very eloquent, stylish, erudite - challenges your knowledge of Greek classics and Japanese grammar, and ability to solve mathematical problems. Beautiful book.[/quote]

I feel like I need to re-read it once I'm done. That way I may have a tiny chance of understanding some of it. Although first it might be a good idea to read some sort of analysis of it. Do you have anything you'd recommend as a primer for interpretation of it?

Oh, and on a side-note, I noticed a reference in there to "Thingol's Cave" (the Cyclops episode). I haven't been able to figure out what this is, although it's presumably something in Irish mythology? I'm chiefly intrigued because it is of course also something from Tolkien's Middle Earth. And so I wonder...

[quote name='Elrostar' post='1580166' date='Nov 6 2008, 19.17']Oh, and on a side-note, I noticed a reference in there to "Thingol's Cave" (the Cyclops episode). I haven't been able to figure out what this is, although it's presumably something in Irish mythology? I'm chiefly intrigued because it is of course also something from Tolkien's Middle Earth. And so I wonder...[/quote]

Do you mean Fingal's Cave?

[quote name='Peadar' post='1580173' date='Nov 6 2008, 14.22']Do you mean Fingal's Cave?[/quote]

Aaah. The problem of listening to it on Audiobook. How utterly disappointing :(

And yes, I realize that I'm missing certain aspects of it by listening to it, rather than reading. But I also find that audiobooks force me to go at a slower pace than I might otherwise and thus to notice things I would miss. Also, I can be listening while walking, or riding the train, or driving. Which is useful, although listening to Ulysses requires more attention than most books I've listened to. So it's no good if traffic is bad, for instance.

my next four books have arrived:
1) [u]The Clone Elite [/u]by Steven L. Kent
2) [u]Without Warning [/u]by John Birmingham
3) [u]Imager: The First Book of the Imager Portfolio [/u](The Imager Portfolio) by L. E. Modesitt
4) [u]Maelstrom: Destroyermen[/u], Book III (Destroyermen) by Taylor Anderson

I have started the first and hope to finish it by the end of the weekend. I will have it to read when I need breaks from board gaming this week.

Finished Michelle Sagara (West)'s "Cast in Courtlight" this morning. Similar, if slightly better, to "Cast in Secret". The politics/attitudes of the Barrani Court was somewhat interesting. It was nothing special but was enjoyable.

Started "The Painted Man" this evening and and 120 pages into it. Finding it very light so far, though I hear it picks up.

Will be continuing "Mistborn:Hero of Ages" at some point tonight.

[quote name='Elrostar' post='1580166' date='Nov 6 2008, 19.17']Oh, and on a side-note, I noticed a reference in there to "Thingol's Cave" (the Cyclops episode). I haven't been able to figure out what this is, although it's presumably something in Irish mythology?[/quote]

Fingal's Cave is a cave on the island on Staffa off the west coast of Scotland. According to legend it was one end of a causeway, the other end being Giant's Causeway in Northern Ireland, the causeway being destroyed by a giant who was afraid another giant would cross the causeway and fight him. It's a very interesting place to visit if you're ever in that part of the world.

Just finished Richard Morgan's [i]The Steel Remains[/i]. It was a good book, but I had some major problems with the writing. Firstly, the style (especially early on) seemed to be some kind of half-assed stream-of-consciousness, like Morgan was either trying and failing to get that stream-of-consciousness feel, or he just accidentally ended up with over-long sentences and sometimes simply forgot what tense he was writing in. Secondly, the swearing, especially the word "fuck". I am not a fucking prude by any fucking stretch of the fucking imagination, but at times it fucking seemed that Morgan was fucking just randomly fucking inserting the word "fuck" into his fucking manuscript. Really, it just seemed like he would write a paragraph, and then add the required ratio of "fucks" to total word count, and it [i]really[/i] served to break up the flow of the narrative. Also, there were at least five times where one of our heroes would insult some nobody and said nobody's response would be "hey, fuck you", which just seemed childish and lazy to me. I don't mind profanity at all, but it should at least sound good. I suppose you could say I liked the book [i]despite[/i] the writing.

Now starting on [i]Blood of Elves[/i] by Andrzej Sapkowski.

[quote name='RedEyedGhost' post='1579437' date='Nov 5 2008, 22.20']Thanks Ben! Couple of question for you (and anybody that's read it).

How realistic is the political intrigue?[/quote]
The politics is pretty realistic. The empire of Nessantico is in a state of decline (hence the title) so there's plenty of intrigue by various factions both within the court and without. The politics the center stage of the story and is one of the best parts.

[quote name='RedEyedGhost' post='1579437' date='Nov 5 2008, 22.20']What's the magic like (if there is any)?[/quote]
The magic system is fairly standard. There's two competing types of magic, but the twist is that one of the schools is part of Nessantico's state religion. The church's "rituals" are actually spells to manipulate magic. The other school of magic is practiced outside the empire and users are considered heretics. There are hints that more might be revealed about the magic systems in later books.

[quote name='RedEyedGhost' post='1579437' date='Nov 5 2008, 22.20']Do you know how many books it will be? "Cycle" is kind of vague.[/quote]
The author's website lists three in the cycle: Twilight, Nightfall, and Dawn. Somehow I thought there was supposed to be four but I'm not sure why I did.

I've read - Sean Williams and someone - Geodesica, a science fiction thinguie.

[My magical psychic pony 11] - foundation by Lackley.

[Bisexual (but mostly gay) sex] - Fall of Kings sequel of swordspoint and privilege of the Sword, by Ellen Kushner and someone.

Felt a girlie man afterward so went to see Quantum of Solace as antidote.

[quote name='Myshkin' post='1580531' date='Nov 6 2008, 18.40']Secondly, the swearing, especially the word "fuck". I am not a fucking prude by any fucking stretch of the fucking imagination, but at times it fucking seemed that Morgan was fucking just randomly fucking inserting the word "fuck" into his fucking manuscript. Really, it just seemed like he would write a paragraph, and then add the required ratio of "fucks" to total word count, and it [i]really[/i] served to break up the flow of the narrative.[/quote]

:lol:

[quote]Also, there were at least five times where one of our heroes would insult some nobody and said nobody's response would be "hey, fuck you", which just seemed childish and lazy to me. I don't mind profanity at all, but it should at least sound good. I suppose you could say I liked the book [i]despite[/i] the writing.[/quote]

Good insults can be great fun, and that just sounds disappointing.

[quote name='beniowa' post='1580556' date='Nov 6 2008, 18.53']The politics is pretty realistic. The empire of Nessantico is in a state of decline (hence the title) so there's plenty of intrigue by various factions both within the court and without. The politics the center stage of the story and is one of the best parts.

The magic system is fairly standard. There's two competing types of magic, but the twist is that one of the schools is part of Nessantico's state religion. The church's "rituals" are actually spells to manipulate magic. The other school of magic is practiced outside the empire and users are considered heretics. There are hints that more might be revealed about the magic systems in later books.

The author's website lists three in the cycle: Twilight, Nightfall, and Dawn. Somehow I thought there was supposed to be four but I'm not sure why I did.[/quote]

Thanks for the breakdown, Ben. Your answers make it sound pretty good. Too many books, too little time - I think I'll try and work this one in before the end of the year.

Archived