November 2008 reads

mashiara

I've recently read and finished [url="http://walkerofworlds.blogspot.com/2008/11/cenotaxis-by-sean-williams-monkeybrain.html"][b]Cenotaxis by Sean Williams[/b][/url], the novella set in the same universe as his Astropolis books. I enjoyed it, especially the fact that it was set from the viewpoint of Jasper, the person Imre was fighting, which meant a different side to the story. I also liked the way that the time flowed for Jasper - events from the future would have happened to Jasper before ones in the past. It was an interesting way to do it and one that worked remarkably well. I'm now looking forward to Earth Ascendant even more :)

Ken

[quote]I finally finished a got a revew written for Tender Morsels by Margo Lanagan. It's both a very good book and one that didn't appeal to me much at all - a tough review to write.[/quote]

I understand. I keep hearing what a good book Tender Morsels is which makes me want to pick it up, but then I read what it is about and I read a first chapter and it just doesn't interest me at all.

Lanagan's book certainly isn't for all people. I am glad I read it and thought it was wonderfully written, but it hit certain sensitive spots with me (I worked with abused/emotionally disturbed teens for a couple of years) and I know it would hit certain others even more. It'll probably make my year-end list, but I can undertand why it wouldn't appeal to many.

As for my own reading, will finish the new Bakker ARC later today. Also might finish my re-reading of [i]Cien años de soledad[/i]. After that, it's Negrete's [i]Salamina[/i].

I've been to Spain a couple of times and it struck me what impressive bookstores they have there. Large sections of SF & F, but not just that, large sections of translated Fantasy as well.

Now in the Netherlands, we are a small country but there are two specific fantasy publishers that translate most of the bigger names ( for instance of the new authors like Lynch, Abercrombie, Ruckley and Rothfuss, all 4 have been translated). I just didn't expect that it would be like this in other European countries as well, but Spain certainly has a large share of translated books. And beautiful covers, that struck me as well.

It is a shame though that there is such a dearth of translations from non-English writers though. In the Netherlands we now have 2 German authors ( Hennen and Heitz ( US release in 2009)) being translated and one Frechman ( Pevel, also picked up for a UK release in 2009), and the rest is all English. Nothing from Poland like Sapkowski, or anything from Spain. And that is the same way in the English market, very little non-English Fantasy available.

Have you seen [url="http://www.tor.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=blog&id=8472"]this article[/url] on Tor's site? Interesting discussion so far about Spanish-language literature.

I finished[b] The Sunne in Splendour[/b] today. It was an interesting ride through a historical novel of good quality. However, at times, I felt that I should have read that book a long time ago, already, preferably before I started to read AGOT, because I'm constantly comparing Anne Neville and Catelyn Stark, and I feel that Anne Neville is a bit too perfect, even though her character in the book is believable and human.

When I read the battles, I always started to picture them in Total War style, which is weird, but also a bit irritating, because I had many problems with winning battles in that game. So, I always feel like I should play the game and try to use the strategies of the battles which the Yorkists won. :uhoh:

All in all, I would recommend the book, as one literary interpretation of the Wars of the Roses. :)

I haven't been too good at finishing books lately, although I did make it to the end of [url="http://www.amazon.com/Every-Last-Drop-Charlie-Huston/dp/0345495888/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1226767986&sr=1-1"]Every Last Drop[/url] by Charlie Huston.

I've just started [url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Painted-Man-Demon-Trilogy/dp/0007276133/ref=pd_sim_b_4"]The Painted Man[/url] by Peter V. Brett and like it so far.

The re-read must be completed! Plus I am reliably informed that it's better on a re-read. That worked for [i]Gardens of the Moon[/i], so it may work for this. Of course, I really liked GotM first time around, so maybe that's total bullshit. I guess I'll know in a few days.

Finished [i]Mrs Dalloway[/i] by Virginia Woolf today. My impressions ? Well, let's just say that if Woolf's other work is anything like this, I don't have a desire to read her ever again. It bored me to tears. If it wasn't required reading for my class on Modernism, I would have dropped it after page one.
Next up for that class is Faulkner's [i]The Sound and the Fury[/i]. I really hope this is going to be better.

Finished Bernard Cornwell's [b]The Winter King[/b] today. F'ing. Phenomenal.

Cornwell really is unmatched when it comes to these types of books - add his knack for history to the large [i]gap [/i]in historical facts about this time period and we get a book that is basically epic fantasy...right down to the magic! I know I've said it everytime I've finished a Cornwell book, but he really is the master at writing pitched battles. No one I've read comes close. He gets the atmosphere, the description, and the tension perfect; and I'm usually not a fan of such scenes.

That said: after one book, I still like the Saxon Tales a bit better, but mostly because of the narrator and the subject matter (Vikings & Christian bashing > ALL)

Next up is Brandon Sanderson's [b]The Hero of Ages[/b]

I just finished Bakker's [i]The Judging Eye[/i]. Needless to say, there are quite a few revelations in it, including just why the first book [i]had[/i] to be given its title...as well as this one as well. There is also a climatic scene that closes the novel, one that ought to put to rest any worries that this novel will be little more than a set-piece for the following two volumes in this middle series. I'll say much more in the coming weeks; I plan on taking my time before writing this review, as I think this one will be a long one to write.

I've been trying to decide whether to read Twilight Watch for some time now. I enjoyed the first book as light reading, but after the second book felt like I didn't want to read anymore about those characters. If it's the best in the series, I may try it.

I finished Iain Bank's The Wasp Factory. Wow that was messed up. I wasn't a huge fan of the twist ending, but the rest of the book was fascinating.

Even though I didn't like Crash, I started reading a book of Ballard's short stories because they'd been recommended as good. I read the first couple and just couldn't get into them. Objectively, I can see why he's a good writer, but I'm doubting that anything he writes will be that enjoyable for me. I almost never stop reading a book I started, but this is like the 900 page complete collection and I don't think I can or should force myself to keep going.

Just finished [i]A Companion To Wolves,[/i] which I borrowed from the library mostly because Gigei was complaining about some wacky sexual bits. Have to admit, it's actually a pretty well-written little thing (302 pages tops) though the wacky sexual bits did make me quirk an eyebrow or too (though it did not evoke in me 1/9th of the shocked revulsion and sick stomach and "Oh my [i]gawwwd[/i]" that [i]Kushiel's Dart[/i] did). Did like the fact that the wolves couldn't talk mostly, apart from a few short sentences. Ending was sort of cute too, despite the insipid and largely faceless antagonistic force of the trolls. Would have preferred Isolfr and the other werthreat to be more... eh, wolfish in ways other than their mating habits. Because otherwise... come on, excuse for :smileysex: am I right? A glossary would have been nice too.

At present reading [i]The Merchant of Prato[/i], a biography of the 14th century Italian merchant Francesco di Marco Datini, [i]The Hound and the Falcon[/i] by the awesome Judith Tarr, and [i]The Winter King[/i] by Bernard Cornwell. I like it very much, though

SPOILER: Bad Merlin!
Merlin sending 13/14-year-old Nimue to his bed had me going :ack: for a sec.

Next on my list: [i]Assassin's Apprentice[/i] by Robin Hobb, and [i]Swordspoint[/i] and [i]The Fall of the Kings[/i] by Ellen Kushner (and Delia Sherman). And need to finish the first[i] Mistborn [/i]book. Seriously.

... oh, and I should probably finish [i]Kushiel's Dart[/i] too. Shit :spank:

Archived