What games are you playing/looking forward to?

Jon AS

[quote name='hALo BEndeR' post='1603838' date='Nov 30 2008, 14.06']Live might be a good value but the stupid wireless attachment I need to get myself on Live definately is not. I've thought about forking over the $100 bucks for the device a couple times now, but then I start thinking of all the better ways I could spend that money -- like on actual videogames for example :P[/quote]
Yeah, the official wireless adapter is a ripoff. You have other options though:

- Internet Connection Sharing -- it's not perfect, but it's free, and it's better than no Live at all.

- Wireless bridge -- $40 sounds better than $100 to me.

- Run a cable -- less hassle than you might think, and is rock solid.

Seriously, an Xbox without Live is like half an Xbox.

I'm currently playing FIFA 09. By far the best FIFA ever, and I don't see the need for buying this years PES. The game has still got flaws (like the ridiculously limited transfer-market in manager mode and defenders semi-retardedly watching attackers pass them with the ball), but it's a lot quicker, a lot smarter, much better animated (although some of the falls when players are tackled are still mind-boggling) and much, much improved gameplay. Fun alone, fun with friends. Now, I don't have LIVE, but here's the deal: I play nearly exclusively sports games and some RPG/roaming (GTA etc.). I don't play shooters or action games at all. Add to this that I have time to play maybe 1-2 hours a week, is LIVE still worth getting? I mean, I'd rather play a tight and even game with my friends than being pwned by some Korean 12 year old halfway across the globe.

I got a free month of it when I purchased the console, but i couldn't even be bothered to log on once.

For you, maybe it's not worth getting Gold. There are some awesome Live Arcade games, though, and I probably spend at least as much time with them as with my retail games, if not more. You should at least get it online, even if you don't shell out for a Gold account.

Picked up LIPS on the weekend for 80 bucks (AUD), which is pretty cheap over here for a game that comes with a couple of wireless microphones.

Great fun at a party and a little more to do than in dull old singstar, less in respect to online stuff but to be honest I bought this as a party game, not to be an internet big man and have all more scores online. That seems to be in the works anyway but still its not there now.

Theres 6 or so songs for download right now, one is free and theres supposedly lots more in the works. The game itself comes with 40 tracks and its customised to your region, so I got qutie a few classic aussie songs such as cold chisels Khe Sanh, a John Farnham track and quite a few others.

Wireless mikes are fun and they have some motion detection stuff so you are encouraged to do posy moves for extra points mid song. Yes you can fake them out and not do the moves but its a bit more fun to do so.

Theres also the addition of 'freestyle' mode where you plug in your zune/ipod or network your PC with your xbox. The shared songs can then be used for karaoke, no lyrics but there is a scoring system which as its not so accurate emphasizes stuff like pitch and vibrato along with dance move stuff. Again yes you can fake it out but you will just look like a dick in front of everyone.

Scoring overall is kind of loose but no ones going to get booed off the stage and judged harshly which when your just doing this stuff for fun is what you want.

Easily worth the money anyways, grab it and I'll kick your ass in an online challenge.

The two games I'm most interested in right now, Prince of Persia and Persona 4, are both scoring amazingly well in reviews. I'm really confused about Persia's release date though -- either it's out today or it's out on the 6th depending on where I look.

Currently playing Battlefield 2142 and Dark Age of Camelot, nothing compares for high intensity PvP and group strategy/tactics. Tried Warhammer Online for a couple months, it's total shite, a crappy WoW clone.

Also playing Boom Blocks on the Wii, great puzzle game.

[quote name='hALo BEndeR' post='1606053' date='Dec 2 2008, 11.00']The two games I'm most interested in right now, Prince of Persia and Persona 4, are both scoring amazingly well in reviews. I'm really confused about Persia's release date though -- either it's out today or it's out on the 6th depending on where I look.[/quote]
Wiki says yesterday for North America, which usually means it shipped yesterday and will be in stores today (unless it's a huge game like Halo 3, in which case they'll have it early and start selling it on the official street date). Call around, they should have it.

Bought two cheap games on Sunday, Project Sylpheed and Tomb Raider: Legend. Project Sylpheed is a shoot-em-up, where you fly ships in space. Feels very much like Robotech, only without robots. Liked it, but it was very short. 16 Missions that are done soon.

Still conflicted if I should buy World of Warcraft. A buddy of mine says NOOOOOO. He played Conquer for about four years, and it fucked him up pretty bad. And I do have other things to do in life.

Sadly, WoW was very fun. Maybe just play it for a short while...

[quote name='Inigima' post='1607319' date='Dec 3 2008, 07.35']Wiki says yesterday for North America, which usually means it shipped yesterday and will be in stores today (unless it's a huge game like Halo 3, in which case they'll have it early and start selling it on the official street date). Call around, they should have it.[/quote]

Yeah. Several Canadian sites for whatever reason said it wouldn't be out until the 6th of December. They're wrong though as guess what I bought today? :P

So far I'm not certain what I think of the new PoP: I'm not very far into it yet but the eye-popping graphics all the reviews said it has, at least on first intake, didn't really strike me as all that eye-popping.
Likewise, my first impressions of the controls isn't great. There have been a couple times now where I wanted to preform one action and instead it did something else. Hopefully that's just due to inexperience on my part and it will become less problematic as I continue on with the game.

I also bought Culdcept Saga for the 360 as I've heard several positive reviews for the game now and it's inexpensive -- $20 new around these parts. I've spent even less time on that one, but it looks like it will be an interesting game --if a little rule heavy-- when I do get around to playing it.

Project Sylpheed is fun if you can get past the breathtakingly bad dialogue and voice-acting. I thought it was pretty tough after the first few missions, but maybe I'm alone in that.

Culdcept Saga, well... I like its [i]ideas[/i]. I bought it because I liked the [i]ideas[/i] of Culdcept (PS2). But eventually I had to give up and trade it in. It's just too [i]slow[/i].

[quote name='Inigima' post='1608465' date='Dec 3 2008, 23.19']Culdcept Saga, well... I like its [i]ideas[/i]. I bought it because I liked the [i]ideas[/i] of Culdcept (PS2). But eventually I had to give up and trade it in. It's just too [i]slow[/i].[/quote]

Yeah, haven't played much but from what I have played I could see this game taking [i]years[/i] to complete assuming I don't devote much time to it.
The critical reception has definitely been mixed to say the least. Having never played Culdcept --or any real life card game -- before, I think I'm fine keeping this on my shelf for times when I just want to play something different.

I'm really trying not to hate on PoP because I want to like it and I know I tend to be rather negative when posting here about the games I play, but I just gotta' say it: The Prince's voice acting reminds me more than a little of Episode 2 Hayden Christensen at his most cocky.

Looks like I killed the thread, sorry :(

Anyway, Prince of Persia's really not as bad of game as I've probably made it out to be. While I'm pretty sure at this point it's not going to be one of my top 5 games of the year, that has more to do with personal taste rather than any flaws with the game itself.

Other than Dragon Age and the DLC for GTAIV I can't think of any games I'm actually looking forward to playing next year. While not all 2009 releases have been announced yet and I'm sure there's bound to be at least a few good games next year, doesn't 2009's slate seem awfully blank to anyone else?

Anyone know of any updates on Diablo3? Close-to-being-firm date for release?

Well, okay, I did find the movie trailer featuring the wizard class. It's pretty awesome: [url="http://www.blizzard.com/diablo3/media/movies/wizard.xml"]http://www.blizzard.com/diablo3/media/movies/wizard.xml[/url]

Starcraft 2. Though I can't say I'm not a little disappointed by some/many of the choices blizzards made.

Splitting into three games, is a mild annoyance. And the changes they've been making to some of the announced units seem kinda idiotic. The Colossus in all it's brutal glory is now a 3rd tier unit that can only be affective against 1st tier units, the Phoenix now has a worthless anti-grav instead of overload. And other mild gripes. I'm still holding onto hopes for the final product though, that everything balances out while maintaining it's distinctive race features.

I hate EB Games...
I preordered Persona 4 from them and not only is my order not in on time but they're selling it for $10 more than the price it should be. Bastards :mad:

Oh well, their loss is Amazon.ca's gain as it's on for $5 cheaper than the regular price there.

Currently playing through Gears 2 on Insane.

I beat Call of Duty: World at War on Veteran. Not quite as hard as I first thought, though some bits were of course mildly infuriating. Got to the highest rank in multiplayer and really haven't played that much since. It's just nowhere near as much fun as COD4's for a few reasons: 1) The weapons are mostly boring and all fairly similar within a class. 2) With a few exceptions the maps suck, and most areas of most maps encourage SMG use which just aggravates my first complaint. 3) The spawns are beyond awful.

[quote name='hALo BEndeR' post='1612674' date='Dec 8 2008, 12.17']Other than Dragon Age and the DLC for GTAIV I can't think of any games I'm actually looking forward to playing next year. While not all 2009 releases have been announced yet and I'm sure there's bound to be at least a few good games next year, doesn't 2009's slate seem awfully blank to anyone else?[/quote]
Not really.

In addition to the two you mentioned, I'm looking forward to Resident Evil 5 (now apparently with co-op), BioShock 2, Alan Wake (2009 is going to be the year, right?), Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, Halo 3: ODST, Borderlands, Rogue Warrior, Tom Clancy's HAWX, and possibly some others like Mass Effect 2 (assuming I get around to the first one by then), Highlander, Prototype, IL-2 Sturmovik, Age of Conan, Ghostbusters, Darksiders, and Prey 2.

Playing CoD4 now - for the first time. I breezed through the campaign in 2 days. It was good, just way too short. I've started it up again on Veteran, which is proving to last me a bit longer. Haven't taken it online, but I'm sure I'll have to at some point, as the few people who are on my friends list have been bothering me to get it for months.

I'm considering exercising my "keep it" option at Gamefly, but I'll wait a few more days before deciding.

I've also been player Golden Axe: Beast Rider. I don't find it to be nearly as bad as most of the reviews claim. It's decent. The environments could use some more color - everything is brown - but it still looks pretty despite that. The battle system is a little tricky but works well. Story is awful, but I wasn't expecting much from that anyway. It does start to get boring after a while though. I'm around 2/3's of the way through, and am losing interest.

And I've just upgraded to a 120g HDD, so I can install games. The 360 is now running quiet. It's really nice since I usually play late, after everyones asleep, and can't turn the stereo up too loud. Now I don't have the drive noise drowning out the game audio. :thumbsup:

Well, right now I looking forward to Bioshock 2. I worry though that it won't be nearly as good as the first one. Also looking forward to GTA 4 for PC. Sure, I have it, but I don't really have it.

Archived