What games are you playing/looking forward to?

Jon AS

I love zombie games. I hear that's kind of what this one is... I don't like how all the DLC is pay to get though... And it's not even cheap either. But I love zombie games... Recently got gears 2, fallout 3, played all the resident evils, love 'em. Getting left 4 dead on friday.. And then waiting till PoP comes out to see how good it is... I heard somewhere that it will be like assassin's creed. I LOVED that game, it was just way too short. Can't wait for the next one.

I guess one of the advantages of not having XBox Live is not knowing if there's DLC available good or bad -- the game on the disk has to stand up on its own. If Dead Space gets super difficult with the guns available then I might be a little angry about this, but otherwise I don't really care. Why should DLC influence whether you buy the actual game or not as opposed to the content itself?

[quote name='hALo BEndeR' post='1593890' date='Nov 19 2008, 14.15']Why should DLC influence whether you buy the actual game or not as opposed to the content itself?[/quote]
Yup. And, if people buy the game, but refuse to buy the DLC that should be free or available out-of-the-box, they will stop charging for it.

[quote name='zakalwe7' post='1592151' date='Nov 17 2008, 20.04']The Left 4 Dead demo was very enjoyable. I can see it being a fun online game although i rarely play online so will have to see.[/quote]
I thought the demo was just ok. The controls were smooth, level design wasn't anything special, and the CPU controlled characters kept jumping in front of my shots. I've heard that the single player camaign is only about 2 hours long. I guess they just put more focus into the on-line. But I'm not that big on multi-player, so I won't bother with it.

[quote name='zakalwe7' post='1592151' date='Nov 17 2008, 20.04']Mirror's Edge seemed ok in the demo. Nice movement but not sure how fun it will be dying lots.[/quote]
I wasn't at all impressed by the demo. I just don't think that the fre-running works all that well in first-person. The environments weren't very colorful. And highligting all the jump points makes it a little too easy - I'd rather have to puzzle out how to make it from one roof to another (maybe that was just for the demo? :dunno: ) It'll be another pass.

I think I'm done buying games for a while. Nothing else is exciting me right now. Dead Space, Golden Axe, Fable 2, The Force Unleashed, and Prince of Persia all look tempting, but I'm not sure that any of them are worth $60. I'll give them 6 months or so and get them after the prices drop.

It looks nice, but navigating around doesn't seem to be any more convenient or intuitive than the old blade interface.

The avatars are absurd. I wish there was an option to turn them off. Some non-human options might be OK, like a little robot or animal or whatever, but these cartoon people are ridiculous.

I doubt I'll ever install a game to my HDD since I don't have a ton of space and the benefits aren't all that great.

I haven't tested it yet, but I think you can now have more than two people in private chat. If so, that'll be the highlight of the update for me.

The Netflix integration or whatever could be interesting.

Interface-wise I don't really have a strong opinion on the new dashboard, except that (a) I hate the avatars -- didn't like them when Nintendo did it and don't like them now -- and (b) I cannot fathom why anyone would ever use the non-list version of the friends list.

Feature-wise, the following are cool to me:

- Group chat
- Parties integrated into the Guide (!!!)
- Netflix integration -- don't have an account now, but might get one for this.

I know people were all excited about installing games to the hard drive, but I'm not. I didn't care much before, and when I saw the trivial differences in loading times that the benchmarks produced, I decided I was right not to care.

So, rumor has it that Sony's response to NXE and Netflix integration was to... remove their stuff from Netflix's Watch Instantly feature so you couldn't use it. I think that's pretty shitty.

I've been replaying FF7 on my PC via emulator because I chose to play on my computer instead of psx, which is pretty finicky. After putting about 20 hours into the game I discover there is a glitch towards the end that I cannot get around. What a horrible feeling. :( :cry:

I might need to go buy FO3 on steam now...

[quote]I don't have Dead Space, but I looked at the DLC and it looks like straight up bullshit for me. Paid DLC for better guns? Pass.[/quote]

I'm about 7 hours into it playing it with no DLC and frankly I'm not finding it to difficult. so far its had that right balance for survival horror of having to be careful with one's resources while at the same time making it possilbe to get through. Its not the type of game one should be able to just run and gun straight through. It forces you to do what you can to conserve ammo, especially by shooting for the limbs for quicker kills rather than just blasting away happazardly. If one plays the game on its terms though my impression so far is that its not more difficult than one would want out of the box. I was looking at the available DLC yesterday and decided to not pick any of it up because it frankly looks like it would make the game to easy. Its creepy, gorey fun. Only reason I haven't finished it so far is that the gore level is such that I don't want to play it when my kids are around. they like watching when I'm playing games and I think this would give them nightmares. Especially my youngest.

[quote name='Inigima' post='1594567' date='Nov 19 2008, 23.21']I know people were all excited about installing games to the hard drive, but I'm not. I didn't care much before, and when I saw the trivial differences in loading times that the benchmarks produced, I decided I was right not to care.[/quote]

I don't think the load times is the real benefit. It greatly reduces the noise levels (because the DVD drive is not working) and the heat levels too. One if a benefit of itself and the other may reduce the likelihood of RROD.

Tried a bit of World of Warcraft this week. Made a Forsaken warrior, running around killing spiders and stuff. Don't think I will keep playing, because it's a bit addictive.

Got my xbox back this wednesday, so then it was Gears of War 2. Two evenings and I had finished it. It was nice, and I will keep playing it. Haven't even tried the multiplayer thing yet.

And to finish it off, this morning I got Left 4 Dead!!! Yes, nice.

Been wondering if I should buy the new Tomb Raider. Anybody know if it's any good?

[quote name='burnt hound' post='1596196' date='Nov 21 2008, 11.56']Tried a bit of World of Warcraft this week. Made a Forsaken warrior, running around killing spiders and stuff. Don't think I will keep playing, because it's a bit addictive.

Got my xbox back this wednesday, so then it was Gears of War 2. Two evenings and I had finished it. It was nice, and I will keep playing it. Haven't even tried the multiplayer thing yet.

And to finish it off, this morning I got Left 4 Dead!!! Yes, nice.

Been wondering if I should buy the new Tomb Raider. Anybody know if it's any good?[/quote]

I've only seen one review but it was quite decent (83%, IIRC).

[quote name='burnt hound' post='1596196' date='Nov 21 2008, 06.56']Been wondering if I should buy the new Tomb Raider. Anybody know if it's any good?[/quote]
There's a demo on Live if you haven't checked it out yet. Seemed decent to me. There wasn't a lot of action though - only a few tigers.

-

I signed up at GameFly - because there are too many games that I want to play, but don't want to buy - and they're giving away 30-day free trials to Netflix members. Might as well check it out. Anyone else use them? Happy with the experience?

Archived