What games are you playing/looking forward to?

Jon AS

[quote name='Mackaxx' post='1588273' date='Nov 13 2008, 15.19']didn't realise I'd done 4 posts in a row in this thread, apologies)[/quote]
Well, I'll just quote myself and whine, so you don't have to be the biggest douche in the thread.

[quote name='Lord O' Bones' post='1587504' date='Nov 12 2008, 22.09']I'm playing Gladius. I'm having a blast and am continuously appalled at how pointlessly flawed this game is. I mean did anyone [i]playtest[/i] this? Love the concept; hate they way they executed it.

Does anyone have any recs as to similar games that aren't, you know, crappy?[/quote]

:tantrum:

[quote name='Mackaxx' post='1588521' date='Nov 13 2008, 19.43']What platform are you looking at and if it's PC how old can it be? Could be why no ones being your personal games assistant.[/quote]
PS2. Though I also have a PS3 and PSP. Jesus, I feel like Sony's bitch all of the sudden.

[quote name='Mackaxx' post='1588260' date='Nov 13 2008, 18.13']I've got COD3 here and it's gathering dust, I set in on I think the second hardest difficulty level and got to a point where your gunning on a tank. Which means standing there exposed getting the shit shot out of you and dieing at random times no matter what you do. Not fun.[/quote]
Yep, that was another Treyarch turd.

[quote name='Mackaxx' post='1588265' date='Nov 13 2008, 18.16']You probably don't have a HD TV do you, most new games suck on a CRT these days when it comes to text and maps. Oblivion is definitely friendlier in these terms.

A color change may help as some colors bleed out/look shitter on a CRT more than others. I've put mine to yellow so the fluorescent green doesnt hurt my precious plasma screen[/quote]
My TV is HD - not a fancy plasma though. And it's not all that big - only 32" I think.

I can read the Pip-boy ok, it's just that my eyes don't care for the color scheme. The green is too dark and it takes me minute to adjust every time I open the damned thing.

Switching the color will probably work fine. I didn't know about that. Thanks.

[quote name='Mackaxx' post='1588273' date='Nov 13 2008, 18.19']Or you could have hacked his computer/picked his safe/used your mad speech skills to get the info for free. Guess you have to go kill some molerats for caps instead.[/quote]
Great, I find out [i]after [/i]I've already paid him! No matter though - My speech skills aren't very high, and I haven't had a successful hack yet (granted I've only tried it once). I found out about his safe from Jericho, but only after I'd already paid him.

Whatever. I got the money from Silver, so I still made 300 caps on the deal. And I'll just rob his safe to get the rest back.

-

Oh, and I went out and grabbed a copy of Mass Effect yesterday too. Now I've got 3 loooong games to get through. This is going to take months. And I probably won't even finish any of them, but get distracted by some shiny new game in a couple of weeks.

[quote name='Muttering Bill' post='1588887' date='Nov 14 2008, 08.45']Oh, and I went out and grabbed a copy of Mass Effect yesterday too. Now I've got 3 loooong games to get through. This is going to take months. And I probably won't even finish any of them, but get distracted by some shiny new game in a couple of weeks.[/quote]
Isn't the holiday season grand? ;)

I caved and bought Mirror's Edge. I'm having a fucking blast with it. I'm told it's short and that the story is crap, but I don't think I care. I'm enjoying the story so far, and while I don't think it'll be a [i]long[/i] game I think it'll take me more than the six hours I heard bandied around to beat it. Hell, I played for two hours or so tonight already, and I've only completed two chapters out of what I think is nine.

The demo's up for free on XBL, so give it a shot if you haven't. It's a crazy first-person parkour game, super fun.

[quote name='Inigima' post='1590484' date='Nov 15 2008, 22.45']I actually beat Gears 2 tonight on co-op with my roommate. It was okay, I was pretty underwhelmed by the campaign. Multiplayer is fun though.[/quote]

I wish I could play online. Unfortunately, I don't currently have any way to get on XBox Live, as far as I know. I've got wireless internet in the room where I have my 360, and from what I've heard, I'd have to buy something extra to get online with a wireless connection.

From what I've played of the campaign so far, though, I've actually been enjoying it a lot. The game has such an awesome cinematic feel.

[quote]Fallout 3 is fantastic, you'll love it.[/quote]

Awesome, that's great to hear. I've really been looking forward to playing it. Probably going to try to beat Gears once, and then focus my attention on Fallout for a while.

Finished off Fallout. Came in at dead on 80 hours for me. Quite a few side missions uncompleted but i think i at least found most of the main locations, even if there were quite a few that i didn't explore.

Great game though. Probably the most i've enjoyed and been addicted to a game for the past 2 or 3 years. I'll probably play it again and then wait a year or so to play a modded PC version.

Gameplay-wise I thought it was pretty fantastic and the setting was beautiful. The only slight hiccups i thought were :-

a) a slightly poor endgame to th MQ
b) would have prefered to level to 25 or have a slightly slower levelling progression
c) not quite enough faction quests - there is certainly space and enough ingame factions

[quote name='Lord O' Bones' post='1588540' date='Nov 14 2008, 00.06']PS2. Though I also have a PS3 and PSP. Jesus, I feel like Sony's bitch all of the sudden.[/quote]

I have every gaming system (though my 360 is broken) and i have been looking for a game like gladius for the longest time. the closest thing is probable mount and blade but its not that close and its for the pc and it is also unpolished and full of bugs

but i could be wrong i havn't played the finished version.

[quote name='Inigima' post='1590484' date='Nov 15 2008, 23.45']I actually beat Gears 2 tonight on co-op with my roommate. It was okay, I was pretty underwhelmed by the campaign. Multiplayer is fun though.[/quote]
I played through Gears 2 campaign solo and thought it was mostly great. I'm not really into the driving missions, so those 3 levels kind of sucked. And the fight with Skorge was really sad. I only played it on casual but still. In Gears 1 Raam too me an hour or two to beat. I got through Skorge on the first try.

I haven't taken it on Live yet. I'm not sure if I will. Never played the first one on on-line either.

[quote name='Inigima' post='1590484' date='Nov 15 2008, 23.45']Fallout 3 is fantastic, you'll love it.[/quote]
I wasn't that into it at first, but now that I have some direction, and have gone up a few levels (so I'm no longer being killed every 5 minutes) it's become a very addictive game. I'm up to around 16 hours now and loving it. I've done two side quests and a lot of exploring, and am now getting back to the main story - still on the first (post-Vault 101) mission.

Oh, and I changed the pip-boy to blue print, and it's a bit easier to read now. But I'd still would prefer a little bit larger text, or that they give me the option to let it the menu take up the whole screen without the borders.

[quote name='ogbebaba' post='1591526' date='Nov 17 2008, 07.35']I have every gaming system (though my 360 is broken) and i have been looking for a game like gladius for the longest time. the closest thing is probable mount and blade but its not that close and its for the pc and it is also unpolished and full of bugs

but i could be wrong i havn't played the finished version.[/quote]
That's what I was afraid of. Thanks!

[quote name='Inigima' post='1588185' date='Nov 13 2008, 16.23']Ah, the Treyarch trademark! Think I made the right call skipping this one.[/quote]
Did COD3 have the grenade spamming too? I didn't bother trying that one on Veteran. Anyway, in Treyarch's defense, there are no timed missions in COD5, something IW resorted to a few too many times in COD4 and which is IMO just as lame/lazy as Treyarch's grenade spamming.

I beat COD5 in co-op and about half of it on Vet by myself then switched to Recruit just to get through the SP campaign and unlock Nazi Zombies. There are some pretty cool missions like the sniper and sea plane ones, and Oldman and Sutherland do good work, but yeah, overall nowhere near as good as COD4's campaign. Of course, playing it in co-op and turning on some of the death cards (basically Halo 3's skulls) help make up the difference.

And Nazi Zombies is great. I'm surprised how much thought went into it. I figured it'd just be some cheap little thing I'd play once and never again. It's like Gears 2's Horde except better. You start out with a pistol and a few hundred credits in a first floor room of a house being assaulted by, well, Nazi zombies. They're ripping boards off of windows to get in while you're frantically running around shooting them, trying to rebuild the barricades and save your friends. You get credits by killing zombies and you can use those credits to buy weapons hanging on the walls and to open doors/clear debris to get to other parts of the house, which you'll have to do since the downstairs room eventually just gets overrun forcing you to fall back. It gets pretty intense.

[quote name='Whiskeyjack' post='1590819' date='Nov 16 2008, 13.16']I wish I could play online. Unfortunately, I don't currently have any way to get on XBox Live, as far as I know. I've got wireless internet in the room where I have my 360, and from what I've heard, I'd have to buy something extra to get online with a wireless connection.[/quote]
Yeah, I think you'd need a [url="http://www.xbox.com/en-US/hardware/x/xbox360wirelessnetadapter/default.htm"]wireless adapter[/url]. You could maybe find a used one at some game store. Or you could just get a long cable and run it from your router to the Xbox whenever you wanted to play online.

The Left 4 Dead demo was very enjoyable. I can see it being a fun online game although i rarely play online so will have to see. Mirror's Edge seemed ok in the demo. Nice movement but not sure how fun it will be dying lots.

[quote name='Inigima' post='1592157' date='Nov 17 2008, 20.18']I beat Mirror's Edge about 20 minutes ago. It was a ton of fun. I'd be lying if I said it wasn't frustrating sometimes, but on the whole I feel really positively about it.[/quote]

That was... quick.
Despite being really stoked for its release, after reading the reviews I've decided to wait on Mirror's Edge until it's gone down considerably in price. I'm not online so the only value in the game for me is the short, apparently frustrating single-player mode.

I beat Fallout 3 yesterday after not touching it for the better part of a week. While part of that gap was due to an emergency trip to the hospital --while I was at a Nine Inch Nails concert none the less :mad:-- mostly it was because, between it and Dead Space, I had had more than my fill of bleak and depressing for awhile.

Prince of Persia is probably the game I'm looking forward to most right now --well at least until Persona 4 comes out a few days later. I'm actually surprised by the lack of hype surrounding the game. Hopefully it'll take the best parts of Assassin's Creed and last generations PoP games and give us something better than both.

[quote name='Vendetto' post='1593500' date='Nov 18 2008, 21.59']How was dead space? I've been wanting to get it, but stuck between it, and prince of persia...[/quote]

I'm only about 2-3 hours into it right now but to sum what I've played so far: It's seriously creepy.
If you like survival horror games I'd say this is one of the better ones the genre has to offer -- it's probably my favourite out of the ones I've played.
It's very cinematic and reminds me a little of 80's sci-fi movies like Lifeforce and Aliens. The monsters are wonderful at sneaking up on you at the most inopportune times and making you jump out of your seat. It doesn't help that you can be shooting the hell out of them and not be doing a damn thing to stop them if you're not hitting their limbs.

In terms of whether or not you should pick it up now or wait, it probably depends on how much you like games of the genre. If were a toss up between buying PoP or Dead Space, my own tastes would probably lead me to get PoP first --this going off of what I know of past games in the series as no reviews are out yet-- but that game's release is still half a month away. If you're looking for something to play [i]now[/i] you can do a lot worse than Dead Space IMO.

Archived