What games are you playing/looking forward to?

Jon AS

[quote name='Bolton Bastard' post='1682371' date='Feb 10 2009, 22.20']Gears 2 (Some people dont like it for some reason, dont get it the game rocks)[/quote]

I enjoyed Gears 2 far more than the first one. The main complaints regarding Gears 2 that I've heard were regarding the large amount of cutscenes and some bug issues with the online multiplayer.

I've been spending some quality time with my oft-neglected DS lately: I beat Ace Attorney: Apollo Justice last week and am eagerly awaiting the next game in the franchise. I've also made some progress in Chrono Trigger DS. I'm yet to be convinced that it's the greatest RPG of all time but I am enjoying it more than I was.

My most eagerly anticipated game right now is probably [url="http://www.atlus.com/devilsurvivor/"]Devil Survivor[/url] for the DS. I've become a big fan of the Shin Megami Tensei series and Atlus games in general over the last year and this one looks like another winner.

[quote name='Werthead' post='1682264' date='Feb 11 2009, 02.07']I was pissed off that [b][i]Psychonauts[/i] [/b]was sold out on Amazon.co.uk. Then I remembered I had Steam. Fifteen minutes later I was playing it for half the price Amazon had been charging for it. Valve once again prove their greatness.

This game is very cool, with a very familiar humour to it for anyone who's played the Lucasfilm adventure games. It's been many, many years since I last played a platformer and the camera in the game is a bit retarded, so there's a fair bit of nosediving off great heights and having to repeat sections ten times which I'm not digging so much, but the game's high points are making up for the annoyances so far.[/quote]
Psychonauts is frigging awesome.

I was able to buy it using XBox Live and enjoyed the hell out of it.

Some of the cutscenes are pure genius. And the game nails its humour and tone.
This fact that this game wasn't huge just shows how great the disconnect is between me and the "average" gaming population.

[quote name='Inigima' post='1682469' date='Feb 10 2009, 23.47']Join Atlus' mailing list. Their mailings are hysterical.[/quote]

Already there, dude... did you read the one for the new Super Robot Taisen game? That was hilarious.
I also don't recall if [url="http://www.siliconera.com/2008/12/05/atlus-has-a-sense-of-humor-about-esrb-leaks/"]this press relese[/url] was included in a mailing list email but it's even better. It's nice to see a publisher have a sense of humor in a time when the industry seems to be all doom and gloom.
God, I'm turning into such a fanboy :P

[i]Left 4 Dead[/i] was offered at half price on Steam over the weekend (what an insidious sales strategy...) and after playing it for the first time with a friend last night I have to say I am impressed. I really hadn't expected it to be this much fun, and on top of that the game is actually challenging, which I certainly didn't expect given the state of the genre. So I guess I know what I'll be doing for the next few nights at least...

I just played through the demo of Fear 2 and I thought it was amazing. I never played the original Fear games, but this one is very good (at least what I've played). It is freaky as hell at points, the graphics are top knotch, the combat is fun, and bulletime is handled well. Now I'm debating whether to shell out 50 bucks for the entire game. Has anyone played the entire game yet?

I like the variety of weapons, and the option to fight in a Mech.

[quote name='Paddy' post='1682708' date='Feb 11 2009, 07.46']Psychonauts is frigging awesome.

I was able to buy it using XBox Live and enjoyed the hell out of it.

Some of the cutscenes are pure genius. And the game nails its humour and tone.
This fact that this game wasn't huge just shows how great the disconnect is between me and the "average" gaming population.[/quote]

That game is awesome. Hell, Tim Schafer is awesome. Escape From Monkey Island has the most hilarious dialogue ever. (Most of his games do, really. Monkey Island, Psychonauts, Grim Fandango, et.) You should play those if you haven't, they're just as just as good as Psychonauts. (Puzzle oriented, though.)

And Killzone 2 is going to be remarkable.

[quote name='G'Kar' post='1694327' date='Feb 20 2009, 16.47']I just played through the demo of Fear 2 and I thought it was amazing. I never played the original Fear games, but this one is very good (at least what I've played). It is freaky as hell at points, the graphics are top knotch, the combat is fun, and bulletime is handled well. Now I'm debating whether to shell out 50 bucks for the entire game. Has anyone played the entire game yet?

I like the variety of weapons, and the option to fight in a Mech.[/quote]

FEAR is definitely worth playing too. The locales get a bit repetative, but the story is fun and the whole atmosphere is great.

I'm a little late to the party on this one but I've been enjoying the hell out of Yakuza for the PS2 this week. It's probably the most [i]in to[/i] a game I've been in a while -- OK, since Persona 4 which really wasn't that long ago at all :P
I'm hoping that Sega localizes the two most recent Yakuza games for the North American market and does so sooner rather than later; It may just be enough to convince me to buy a PS3 (er, that and a $100 price cut on Sony's part :P)

[quote name='Shryke' post='1694389' date='Feb 20 2009, 16.49']FEAR is definitely worth playing too. The locales get a bit repetative, but the story is fun and the whole atmosphere is great.[/quote]
The top-notch AI also makes it an extremely satisfying game as well.

Really, some of the best AI around.

I beat GTA4's The Lost and Damned episode this morning. I had more fun playing it than I did the main game. A higher percentage of TLAD's missions are fun, interesting and/or original, the motorcycle club idea is a good one, the music's a whole lot better now, and I like how Johnny's storyline bumps into Niko's here and there. I'm not sure about the ending, though.

Other than that I've been playing COD:WaW multiplayer and trying to decide if I want to do an Insanity run of Mass Effect. COD4 might be the better game, but most of the people I used to play 4 with are now playing WaW, so WaW it is. And Treyarch's supposedly going to be giving console users the Makin daytime map for free sometime this week -- not something IW did with snowy Crash in 4, so that's a big thumbs up for Treyarch in my book. As for Mass Effect, I'm just not sure if I should max out my old Soldier career or start a new Adept one. Starting an Adept might be more interesting, but I'm guessing it'd also make things somewhat more difficult at least early on.

Tom Clancy's HAWX comes out next week. The demo was mildly disappointing, but I'm still looking forward to it. Nothing much else, though. Battlefield 1943 in June, maybe Prototype and Borderlands if they're still coming out around then too.

[quote name='TheOneOfTheNight' post='1694331' date='Feb 20 2009, 17.57']Recently I played Planescape: Torment once again. It does rock.
Fuck 3D, for real. I miss Infinity Engine at times.[/quote]

I don't miss the IE. I still play these games from time to time.
Kids this days don't know what they missed, thought :thumbsdown:

I have found myself sucked into playing on my iTouch... which I really didn't expect. Maybe it is not as good as other hand-helds - but I never had one, so I can't judge. But I am very impressed.

I am now deeply into "Puzzle Quest" and am having a blast. What a great little game! It is funny how "match 3" mechanic actually provides much deeper "turned-based" experience than any combat system specifically developed for the purpose! The story could have been a little less cliche and formulaic, but it is still very fun.

I have also been puttering around a text adventure game platform "Frotz". I missed the era and the genre is new to me - and occasionally pretty aggravating, with it's little idiosyncrasies re: player's input. But I keep coming back...

Otherwise, I am eyeing "The Quest", which looks like an early TES game - Daggerfall, or maybe Arena, since it doesn't have randomness, but done right. I.e. non-generic dialog, no bugs, the worst absurdities of the character system fixed. I would have been all over it if the devs deigned to provide a demo, but alas. There is only so much the PC demo can tell me. Still, I am weakening.

And I still have Fallout 3, Psychonauts and Jade Empire waiting for me on PC...

• 2 weeks later...
Played Geneforge 5.

It's a awesome huge game. Don't be put off by the graphics and by the dungeon crawler aspect it can have, there are good stealth paths thru almost all of the game (didn't find anything in the endgame sadly, but the game is so huge, i'm not sure a faction hasn't got a combat free endgame - one of the factions was preparing a biological doomday weapon).

5 factions - this is how its done bioware weenies.

A game story that speaks to relevant real world issues, slavery, gray world etc - I think the game world itself is a metaphor of genetic engineering.

I'm not sure but i think the 5 endings, have a main ending part and then some fallout like ending variation for some characters.

It's simply excellent.

Been playing the new Star Ocean game, The Last Hope. Story is a bit cheesy like usual SO games are, but oh my god is the battle system completely awesome. The things you can do in this game and the amount of optimization available is mind blowing. Graphics are crazy and make me wish I had an HDTV.

[quote name='Arakasi' post='1706041' date='Mar 3 2009, 11.43']Been playing the new Star Ocean game, The Last Hope. Story is a bit cheesy like usual SO games are, but oh my god is the battle system completely awesome. The things you can do in this game and the amount of optimization available is mind blowing. Graphics are crazy and make me wish I had an HDTV.[/quote]

I've been tempted to pick this one up but having never played a Star Ocean game don't know if this is a good place to start. Does it work as a stand alone game or should I familiarize myself with the series first?

I'm still having an amazing time with the Yakuza series. I just recently beat the first game and I'm now a couple chapters into the second. If the two current generation Yakuza/'Like a Dragon' games don't make their way to NA shores I'll be really disappointed. Seriously people, if you haven't played 'em pick them up... they're well worth it.

Just finished playing through Fallout 3: Operation Anchorage. Kinda fun and cool, but way too short, and not worth the price. Although I do love that shock sword. And that Gauss rifle. Its better than a sniper rifle. But now I'm level 20, and still have a ton of world to explore. I just found a place called "Hubris Comics" which looks very cool.

Archived