Straight from the Pages SPOILERS FOR ALL BOOKS

We all had that moment: the time, curled up with your [i]A Song of Ice and Fire[/i] novel, where you read a particularly striking scene, blinked, and said to yourself, "Golly (or interchangeable expletive), this was made to be seen on the screen!"

Something, or things, that made you go "By Jove, they got it!" when you eventually heard the fantastic news from HBO.

For me, it didn't even come until the third book, [i]A Storm of Swords[/i]. Believe it or not, I'm a fan of most books [i]not[/i] making it to the big-or-small screen, because of how I already picture things in my head - I generally don't want them spoiled.

That and medieval fantasy had gone through a pretty rough bunch of years, where faithful (or even remotely watchable) translation was concerned, prior to Peter Jackson; argue for or against him, his success makes HBO's [i]Game of Thrones[/i] viable, whereas in the past it would not have been.

So for me, here's the scene, straight from the book:

[i]When she gave a yank, the black dragon raised his head, hissing, and unfolded wings of night and scarlet. Kraznys mo Nakloz smiled broadly as their shadow fell across him.[/i]

I can just see that, so perfectly. And that, of course, leads right to [i]"Dracarys!"[/i] From that point on, it was sold for me. (Dany gets some of the best, most cinematic scenes. If they even think of leaving her out, cutting corners, shortening the series by simply removing the East ... their loss, as well as ours.)

What scenes sold you?

A Game Of Thrones played out like a film in my head from the moment I started reading. I remember thinking about how perfectly it would translate to the screen given how vividly written it was, and how it was driven mostly by dialogue and characters.

So there are numerous moments for me, notably Bran being shoved out the window, most scenes set at the Wall, Viserys's crowning and Ned's execution.

There are many but the Siege of King's Land may not be possible on HBO's budget the very cinematic way I see it in my mind, but we'll see come Season 2 (knock on wood). With enough money, it could be a sequence as epic as the Siege of Minas Tirith, though with it's own ebb and flow.

The entire sequence where Dany builds the bonfire and hatches the dragons could, if done right, blow people away.

[quote name='Tywin's bastard' post='1593361' date='Nov 18 2008, 19.39']I want to see the Tyrion's fork scene at the Wall. That would work well as it is and it's a great moment in the journey to get to know that character.[/quote]

:agree:

The tourament when Loras gets tricksy with Gregor. Cut to whoever goes "the mare's in heat," just to make sure the slow folk in the audience get it. Gregor smashing into the ground...and rising up from the dirt like some sort of psycho Free Willy. :wideeyed: Then of course, the Hound.

Speaking of dear little Sandor, the bedroom scene between him and Sansa seems very filmable. I think the flashing green light would make it AMAZINGLY tense and creepy.

From A Game of Thrones:

The Others killing Waymar Royce.
Jaime throwing Bran out the window.
Joffrey's assassin trying to kill Bran.
Jon killing the Wight.
The Green Fork.
Viserys getting crowned.
Dany hatching the dragons.

From A Clash of Kings:

Brienne winning the tourney.
Renly's death.
The House of the Undying.
The Blackwater. (We can always hope, can't we?)

From A Storm of Swords:

The Others routing the Night's Watch.
The massacre at Craster's.
Sam's escape with Coldhands.
Jaime's dream of Rhaegar. (If that even makes it into the series, assuming it even exists and makes it to year 3.)
Jaime going to get Brienne in Harrenhal. (Ditto.)
The battle for the Wall.
The Red Wedding. (Definitely the Red Wedding.)
Dany buying the Unsullied.
Dany's ride to Meereen.
The death of Tywin Lannister (and Shae, I suppose).
The death of Lisa Arryn.

[quote name='PhoenixFlame' post='1593699' date='Nov 19 2008, 01.33']The tourament when Loras gets tricksy with Gregor. Cut to whoever goes "the mare's in heat," just to make sure the slow folk in the audience get it. Gregor smashing into the ground...and rising up from the dirt like some sort of psycho Free Willy. :wideeyed: Then of course, the Hound.[/quote]

This is an amazing scene and I can't wait to see it on film. The savagery of Gregor slaughtering his horse and the kid that didn't get out of the way. The way the Hound steps in to stop him. Ser Loras as the upstart pretty boy. Just thrilling from start to finish.

I would add the fight between Bronn and the other knight to decide Tyrion's fate. The description of the fight is great, and then when it looks like Tyrion is home free, Lysa drops the bomb on him that he will be left to fend for himself. Just great drama and again, it reveals so much about all of the characters involved.

[quote name='Naknakkus' post='1593912' date='Nov 19 2008, 06.31']I always imagined it as one of the dream sequences in Twin Peaks. I think GRRM was thinking of that too.[/quote]

Dream sequence? Maybe in the beginning when she's seeing that trippy dwarf-fucking-lady orgy. But later on, especially when she hears those footsteps (or was it breathing?) or whatever as they follow her down the hall. And then when she turns around, and hears the footsteps coming closer, and then the torch lights go off one by one and the darkness is closing in on her in that long hall, until she finally has to find a door to step through....that scene was 100% real-time cinematic in my head. perfect.

[quote name='nya across the narrow sea' post='1594792' date='Nov 20 2008, 03.53']Dream sequence? Maybe in the beginning when she's seeing that trippy dwarf-fucking-lady orgy. But later on, especially when she hears those footsteps (or was it breathing?) or whatever as they follow her down the hall. And then when she turns around, and hears the footsteps coming closer, and then the torch lights go off one by one and the darkness is closing in on her in that long hall, until she finally has to find a door to step through....that scene was 100% real-time cinematic in my head. perfect.[/quote]

I take it you haven't seen what I was referring to, I can't say much more as it'd be a spoiler for you if you ever decide to watch Twin Peaks. Suffice to say that there are a couple of scenes with a very close feel to the House of the Undying.

I get what you're saying about the torches going off one by one. I saw it very clearly in my head. There's actually a scene in the Descent (a UK horror film released a couple of years ago) where something similar happens, but in a hospital corridor. I immediately thought of House of the Undying.

Stannis. Stannis. STANNIS!

Said by scores of mounted knights as they charge into the wildlings and rip them apart. I want the camera angle to be hawkseye, showing all the carnage and the power of stannis!

That scene iswhere the reader realizes Stannis is a very major player.

[quote name='Tears of Lys' post='1595929' date='Nov 20 2008, 22.38']I've always thought the scene between Petyr (Littlefinger), Lady Lysa, and Sansa in the tower room was one that would film well. A real shocker.[/quote]

Bingo. This is IMO the most unexpected scene in the series so far and definitely one of the most powerful. When you combine this with Littlefinger revealing his plan to Sansa it shows how Littlefinger is right there next to Varys as the most powerful players in the game. Dont F with Mr. Baelish, because you will lose.

Archived