Dollhouse

Guest Ro_

I dunno about he lack of humour. Fair enough, it didn't have me rolling around like Firefly/Serenity did, but there were some nice lines. Only one I can remember at the moment is the cop after he's threatened the guy at the urinal:

"Wash your hands!

Oh, and your shoes."

[quote name='SpaceChampion' post='1688511' date='Feb 16 2009, 21.08']So the highschool in the video was Sunnydale, right? (the same set, I mean). I wouldn't be surprised if the Dollhouse was filmed on the same set as the Wolfram & Hart locale.[/quote]
I'm almost positive that was the Wolfram and Hart set.

I liked it and will keep tuning in. Didn't seem anything like a Whedon project, though.

Also, four pages in, and no one's discussing or even asked the most important question of all. How smoking hot is that Sierra chick? hubbahubba

[quote name='Yerman']I dunno about he lack of humour. Fair enough, it didn't have me rolling around like Firefly/Serenity did, but there were some nice lines. Only one I can remember at the moment is the cop after he's threatened the guy at the urinal:[/quote]

I may be biased against Helo, but I thought the delivery was off for that one.

I thought the funniest line was Caroline's about a 'clean slate', "Have you ever tried cleaning an actual slate?"

[quote name='Angalin']I read an interview with Whedon where he said that it wasn't the same W&H set, but it was designed by the same person.[/quote]

AFAIK TV sets tend to be demolished when a show is over, keeping them around costs way too much money.

I think some of the feeling of the show could change once we find out what she actually did. I'm guessing she fell in with some sort of liberal terrorist organization, or something like that. She seemed to know that whatever she did wasn't great. I'm a little unclear on how a private organization could fix it, unless the deal is to provide her with a new identity when she's out.

Also, I wonder what happened with Alpha? Isn't the whole beauty of the place this idea that if one of the operatives escaped it wouldn't really matter because they wouldn't remember anything anyway? But I suppose we have hints that the mind-wiping doesn't work quite as well as they think it does....

Well, my take on it is that Alpha either got a really wonky imprint that led him to escape during an op, and is also the cause for being really fucking creepy and killing people. [i]Or[/i] he somehow learned about something shady prior to being imprinted, and escaped in between ops so to speak. But I don't know how that would explain the I-kill-two-people-and-sit-naked-on-their-bed-while-watching-Echo thing.

And you just know there's something going on with Amy Acker's character.

I thought they imprinted this willingness to go back for "treatments" along with the personalities so that an operative wouldn't escape while out, but I guess since Alpha was presumably the first they might have learned from their mistakes. But then he probably wouldn't know about Echo's real identity either.

I would have to guess that maybe Alpha was someone who knew her before - probably someone who was caught with her? Or just before? Otherwise, how would he have this footage of her and why would he care about her in particular? For some reason, I assumed the dead people where people sent after him by the Dollhouse, but I have no idea why since all signs point to them just being a couple killed in their home.

Maybe he was intentionally released, but whatever they imprinted him with before he left - his original personality? - doesn't exactly work that way, the process makes them sociopathic, and now he's trying to keep that from happening to her?

[quote name='kungtotte' post='1689343' date='Feb 17 2009, 07.40']And you just know there's something going on with Amy Acker's character.[/quote]
Amy Acker's in this? Now I have to watch. The children will just have to put themselves to bed next time. ;)

[quote name='Raidne' post='1689363' date='Feb 17 2009, 08.55']I thought they imprinted this willingness to go back for "treatments" along with the personalities so that an operative wouldn't escape while out, but I guess since Alpha was presumably the first they might have learned from their mistakes. But then he probably wouldn't know about Echo's real identity either.

I would have to guess that maybe Alpha was someone who knew her before - probably someone who was caught with her? Or just before? Otherwise, how would he have this footage of her and why would he care about her in particular? For some reason, I assumed the dead people where people sent after him by the Dollhouse, but I have no idea why since all signs point to them just being a couple killed in their home.[/quote]
I thought that
SPOILER: Dollhouse
those two dead people were Echo's parents, right? That's the only that would explain to me the interview video and the photo that Alpha (presumably that's Alpha sitting by their corpses) takes to mail to Ballard. If they're just naming the units in alphabetical order then obviously Alpha is the first of the line and Echo is a pretty early recruit (it also means we're not too far from a recruit named Whiskey ;)). He doesn't have to have known her before -- he could have just done some research and found her past after he'd gone rogue.

Cool idea - that would also make sense.

I've been poking around on the web, and apparently next week's episode is really great and blows this last one out of the water. Joss said some interesting stuff about the show and what to expect on his [url="http://whedonesque.com/comments/17945"]blog[/url] awhile ago, and called this next episode so great that it defined the show and saved its ass.

I'm excited.

ETA: It seems my link does not work - you can go to this [url="http://dollhouse.wikia.com/wiki/The_Target"]page[/url], skip the synopsis for the next episode if that's not your thing, and click on the link at Notes and References #3, at the bottom.

I just had the chance to watch it via Hulu. I can agree that it feels very different from Whedon's other work, but I like the premise, the lead, andthe first episode enough to give it a shot. I definitely think there was some typical pilot clumsiness, so the fact that a lot of the specific things I've enjoyed in Joss' writing were absent isn't something I'm going to fret about until it becomes clear that they're gone for good and/or that this show would have been better with them included.

I wouldn't get too attached to this show. It only had 4.73 million viewers for its premiere, so prepare for it to got the way of Firefly. I'm surprised by the low rating. The previews showed a lot of skin and action. Maybe its the Friday night time slot.

[quote name='G'Kar' post='1690937' date='Feb 18 2009, 11.44']I wouldn't get too attached to this show. It only had 4.73 million viewers for its premiere, so prepare for it to got the way of Firefly. I'm surprised by the low rating. The previews showed a lot of skin and action. Maybe its the Friday night time slot.[/quote]

It was 2nd place for the hour.

And ratings have dropped pretty much universally over the last like 10 years. PVRs and such.

If it keeps up in this range, they're apparently pretty much guaranteed a 2nd season.

[quote name='Shryke' post='1690948' date='Feb 18 2009, 12.55']It was 2nd place for the hour.

And ratings have dropped pretty much universally over the last like 10 years. PVRs and such.

If it keeps up in this range, they're apparently pretty much guaranteed a 2nd season.[/quote]

nah, it didn't help Moonlight any--they had close to 9million viewers. Its a goner unless something changes quickly.

[quote name='BJT' post='1690980' date='Feb 18 2009, 12.20']nah, it didn't help Moonlight any--they had close to 9million viewers. Its a goner unless something changes quickly.[/quote]

Different expectations. Different networks.

Archived