I hit a guy in the mouth today.

Meili

I stopped for a QT softdrink, they have that crushed ice I love nit I digress. I am walking in the double push doors with my four year old and my two year old. Now common courtesy is to hold if not just nudge the door farther to give them impression of politeness for the person behind you to get through. We He was leaving, i was going in one of the double doors with my four year old and the two year old wandered to the other. The guy not only didn't nudge the door open, he basically shut it on her. She started crying, The guy stopped, looked entirely unaplogetic and I said 'what the fuck man, you didn't see her'? I was mad but squatting down trying to make sure my kids arm was okay. Then the guy, shrugged and said 'there's no rule I have to hold doors for kids......' In hindsight I would have been witteir and calmer but I stood up and asked the obvious "What the fuck did you just say?" Customers started looking on and then this guy, mr. mocho get;s in my face.....like I did something wrong, sitting here with a crying two year old and my four year old looking on and says 'You got a problem with that [b]bud[/b]' With the bud also came with the finger poke in the chest. My adrenaline was kicking and I was totally taken aback because hey, I just wanted a drink and to see if my kid was ok (just a little bruise). I said 'no man, no problem'. He chuckled like I was a pussy and when he started to turn I drilled him right in the temple. He dropped so we didn't stand and throw and he was slowly getting up, a good shot on my part i guess but without seeing if he would get up and a full brawl erupt in front of my kids with dad possibly getting beat down, we bailed. Without the drink I might add.

My daughter thought it was the coolest. My wife is mad. I feel pretty good about it and keep going back in my mind because his attitude has me so pissed off I am fantasying about kicking him a few times while he was down.....

Overeacted? Parental instincts taken over? Guy deserved it? Bad example for kids? What do you think and could I have handled it differently. I honeslty think though, if I had showed more nonviolent anger at him closing the door on my kid, he would have hit me first, so there is that to consider.

[quote name='Kalbear' post='1701610' date='Feb 26 2009, 17.59']You sucker punched a guy for not holding the door for your kid?[/quote]
For shutting the door on her arm.

[quote name='snake' post='1701615' date='Feb 26 2009, 18.01']Punching the guy wasn't so bad but [i]sucker punching[/i] the guy? Not cool.[/quote]
Not having a young daughter of my own, I can't imagine what I would have done. But the point where he is turning away, is the point where punching a guy should be no longer an option.

As soon as someone get's in your face, that means they're looking for a fight. They're basically inviting you to punch them first. Just the fact that he turned away meant that he didn't consider you a threat, and it's his own fault. It's a wonder he gets away with that kind of behavior at all, but he'll probably think twice next time he jabs his finger in someone's chest.

Also, though, telling someone there's no problem and *then* punching them in the face is pretty dirty. I guess it was the chuckle and dismissal of you that really pissed you off enough to punch him, right? In that case, again, it's the guy's own fault for underestimating you.

I would hope you weren't really trying to get him to look away just so you could plant one, though.

[quote name='KazigluBey' post='1701625' date='Feb 26 2009, 18.08']As soon as someone get's in your face, that means they're looking for a fight. They're basically inviting you to punch them first. Just the fact that he turned away meant that he didn't consider you a threat, and it's his own fault. It's a wonder he gets away with that kind of behavior at all, but he'll probably think twice next time he jabs his finger in someone's chest.[/quote]

Indeed. That's very typical bully-behavior, now the douche will have to think twice about jabbing his grubby fingers into someone's chest.

[quote]Next time he'll probably just kick them in the nuts without any warning at all.[/quote]

People like that generally don't want to fight, they want to emasculate you and make themselves look tougher without any harm done to themselves. Kicking someone in the balls over every slight or offense is a quick way to a felony and a lawsuit. Not exactly something you'd do in a frosty freeze or wherever they were.

Still a lame thing to do to sucker punch a guy who wasn't expecting it. Especially in front of your kids. If you had the time to check on your kid, make sure they were okay, have a conversation with the guy it wasn't being done because you were being protective. It was done because he pissed you off and got in your grill.

If they're still around, definitely ask for names and phone numbers of the people who work there. You could get sued for assault, and witnesses would be good.

ETA: ooh, I missed the point where he ran away. That makes it WAY more manly.

I laughed reading it, but... shouldn't have risked a brawl with the kids standing there. They could've been hurt, too. And they're young, so who'd be looking out for them while you're mixing it up with dickhead?

They are going to have your ass too, when they get in a fight with other kids. :lol: "But Dad did it! Remember? He hit that mean man and Jacob was being mean to me.."

Did you hit him because he let the door close on her and acted like a prick about it, or because he chuckled like you were a pussy? Not sure at what point you decided to swing.

Not a big fan of the punch to the temple. The soft underbelly of the gut is the way to go.

I think the trick in these situations is to escalate the insults to the point where the other guy throws the first punch. But what do I know, I've never been in a fight ever.

[quote name='Kalbear' post='1701637' date='Feb 26 2009, 18.17']ETA: ooh, I missed the point where he ran away. That makes it WAY more manly.[/quote]

I don't blame him if the other guy is much bigger.

Punch and run, that's how you keep it real in the suburban jungle. :smoking:

Archived