March 2009 reads

mashiara

On an Iain M. Banks kick at the moment. Rereading [i][b]Consider Phlebas [/b][/i](I'd forgotten how awsome this book is) and will follow it up with my first-ever reads of [i][b]Player of Games [/b][/i]and [i][b]Use of Weapons[/b][/i].

I may follow that up with the first two [b]Mistborn[/b] books, depending if any ARCs turn up in the meantime.

[quote name='Stego' post='1703887' date='Mar 1 2009, 13.20']Just finished Cyberabad Days by McDonald. Good stuff, but I'd rather McDonald was writing a new novel.[/quote]

McDonald is putting the finishing touches to [i][b]The Dervish House [/b][/i](which does for Turkey which his previous two novels did for India and Brazil), which will be out at the start of 2010.

[quote name='needle' post='1704063' date='Mar 1 2009, 15.15']You haven't read them yet? I thought you hated them and were afraid to tell me...[/quote]

Sorry, I'll get to 'em :D

[quote name='Maester Joergensen' post='1703920' date='Mar 1 2009, 15.00']Finally got going on my first Mieville. Iron council.
Had very high expectations from all the Mieville buzz. Just started chapter three. Having a mixed reaction. Some cool worldbuilding (if just a little ridiculous, with the motorised animals), and nice writing stile. But just don´t grab me for some reason I can´t put my finger on. I have the book open in front of me on my desk while writing this, and starting reading again seems a little like a chore. Very bad sign. But enough good in it that I will definitely continue. Perhaps my expectations were to high.[/quote]

I think you had to start with PPS.

I just began [i]Cities of Salt[/i] by Abdelrahman Munif. It's the next book in my endeavors to read a broader spectrum of literature. Hopefully my brain will rot more slowly because of these efforts.

Last night I finished Elizabeth Bear's [b]All the Windwracked Stars[/b], which very slowly crept under my skin. I liked it very very much and am still thinking about it.

Am now reading S.L. Farrell's [b]A Magic of Twilight[/b].

I'm reading [i]Before they are hanged[/i] by Joe Abercrombie at the moment. And [i]Last Arguments of Kings[/i] will follow soon.
TBR: Carlos Ruiz Zafon - The Angel's Game (I just loved Shadow of the Wind)
Rafik Schami - Das Geheimnis des Kalligraphen (The Calligrapher's Secret - no English translation yet available)

So uh, I'm reading [i]Niccolo Rising[/i] by Dunnett. It took me awhile to get back to Dunnett but god damn am I glad I did. She has to be the best historical fiction writer out there. Her books are just so damn interesting.

Just finished [color="#000080"][font="Arial Black"]The Shadow of the Torturer[/font][/color], by Gene Wolfe. It's the first Wolfe I've read, and I liked it a lot. I generally don't like books that get 1st person and philosophical, but it's refreshing to read one that doesn't define 'philosophical' as 'what I came up with in a drug induced haze'. I can actually see myself buying Wolfe's books, and I rarely buy books.

At the plate: [color="#000080"][font="Arial Black"]The Lies of Locke Lamora[/font][/color].

On deck: [color="#000080"]Uncle Fred in the Springtime[/color], by P.G. Wodehouse.

In the hole: [color="#000080"]The Claw of the Conciliator[/color], the sequel to [i][color="#000080"]Torturer[/color][/i].

Just finished "Coraline" by Neil Gaiman. Really nice children's book.

About to put down "Dear Fatty" by Dawn French as I am finding it pretty boring with a lot of pointless gushing. The bit about the Queen Mother being the devil was pretty funny though.

To read:
"The Golden Notebook" by Doris Lessing
"Winterbirth" by Brian Ruckley

I've just finished a re-read of Neil Gaiman's 'Coraline' and it's just as good as it was the first time round. My full review is over [url="http://www.graemesfantasybookreview.com"]Here[/url]. I'm now starting on 'Godmother', Carolyn Turgeon's retelling of the Cinderella story...

[quote name='murphy' post='1704021' date='Mar 1 2009, 12.46']Now reading [b]The Skewed Throne [/b]by Josua Palmatier. Not great but it is good and holds my interest.[/quote]

I read the Throne series a few weeks ago and I agree that while not on par with GRRM, it is a decent story. I did think it was as good as Sanderson's Mistborn trilogy.

Just finished an agonisingly-slow-in-the-hope-that-I'd-catch-something-I-missed-first-time-around re-read of Watchmen. Now at a loss on what to move on to. Is Rothfuss' [i]The Name of the Wind[/i] worth a look? I've heard good things.

Currently reading Eagle-Sage - the final book in David Coe's Amarid trilogy. I have enjoyed the series so far and will be looking at his other books in the near future.

After this I am starting on Iain Bank's Culture series starting with Consider Phlebas.

I just finished "These is My Words: The Diary of Sarah Agnes Prine 1881 - 1901" by Nancy E Turner.

It is a fictional diary of an actual pioneer woman in the late 1800s Arizona Territory.

This is not my usual read, but my Mom recommended it to me. She accidentally got it from Amazon. They shipped it to her by mistake, and when she contacted them, they said just keep it. So... like me.. there were words - she had to read them. :)

She told me that it was one of those books that stays with you. And she was right. It is a wonderful, amusing, touching, tragic, joyful story. It is written in a very conversational manner. It is her diary.. her innermost thoughts. I couldn't put it down. I read 90% of it in one day.

There are two more in the series. I am starting Sarah's Quilt today. The third is called The Star Garden. They are the kind of books that I can't put down, but I will be sad when I finish them.

[quote name='Astra' post='1704108' date='Mar 1 2009, 22.41']I think you had to start with PPS.[/quote]I was told in another thread that they were standalone´s and I could start with Iron council if I liked.
You mean Perdido street station? That would be PSS right :D

[quote name='Yerman' post='1704856' date='Mar 2 2009, 13.13']Just finished an agonisingly-slow-in-the-hope-that-I'd-catch-something-I-missed-first-time-around re-read of Watchmen. Now at a loss on what to move on to. Is Rothfuss' [i]The Name of the Wind[/i] worth a look? I've heard good things.[/quote]

It is an entertaining read.

[quote name='Maester Joergensen' post='1704907' date='Mar 2 2009, 17.56']I was told in another thread that they were standalone´s and I could start with Iron council if I liked.
You mean Perdido street station? That would be PSS right :D[/quote]

Oops. PSS of cause :)

I didn't read IC, so I am not sure. I was told they are stand alone. Quite possible I am wrong.

Archived