March 2009 reads

mashiara

[quote name='K_P' post='1704854' date='Mar 2 2009, 09.12']I read the Throne series a few weeks ago and I agree that while not on par with GRRM, it is a decent story. I did think it was as good as Sanderson's Mistborn trilogy.[/quote]

Agree. I liked it enough that I've ordered the next two books in the trilogy (assuming that it is a trilogy and not a series).

Sped through Carrie Vaughn's Kitty and [b]the Dead Man's Hand [/b]last night. Very entertaining and looking forward to the next which should arrive this week.

Now reading Dave Duncan's [b]The Alcemist's Pursuit[/b]. Solving mysteries with a bit of magic in 16th or 17th century Venice, Italy.

Finally managed to finish [i]The Light Ages[/i] by Ian R. Macleod today. The story is set in an alternate history version of 19th century London where a substance called 'aether' controls every aspect of life (it powers machines, is used to create things, etc.). I started this book with high expectations; the blurb and first few pages feature praise by Gene Wolfe, Michael Moorcock, Gardner Dozois, Jeff Vandermeer, James P. Blaylock (it's misspelled Blaycock in the book), Brian Aldiss and Tim Powers. In short, I was let down. While Macleod's prose is good and the setting's interesting, the novel falls short in the story and character department. I found it above all a boring read and the characters didn't grab me. The best example is the protagonist, Robert Borrows. The book is mostly a bildungsroman centered around Robert, but he didn't play his part very well imo. He often reminded me of those mute hero characters you got to name and play as in old videogames. In retrospect it wasn't really a bad book, but it didn't live up to my expectations at all.
I've also read Shakespeare's [i]The Tempest[/i]. Partly because I just felt like it, but also because I plan to read Tad Williams' [i]Caliban's Hour[/i] next.

So I'm onto The Bonehunters by Erikson. I'm slowly making my way through the malazan books. This one is frickin huge! Also reading leisurely through The Judging Eye by Bakker.

I finished "The Crown Conspiracy" by Michael J. Sullivan. I am glad that for a year now my access to small and independent publishers' titles is easier for me, because otherwise it is possible I would have missed some titles like this one. "The Crown Conspiracy" is an entertaining read, action-packed and which kept me hooked from the first page until the last. I certainly like to see how this series develops. ([url="http://darkwolfsfantasyreviews.blogspot.com/2009/03/crown-conspiracy-by-michael-j-sullivan.html"]my full review[/url])

After trying my best to delay the inevitable, I finished The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon. It is a wonderful book that I had to actively force myself away from to refrain from devouring it. I can honestly say, without a doubt, that this is the best book I have read this year and the best book I have read in the past years. I am saddened by having finished it, but my copy should come in the mail in a couple days and I look forward to a reread in the near future. I have only one complaint. I have to wait until this June to read the next novel by Ruiz, something that makes me want to take up learning Spanish...

I am moving on to The Judging Eye by Bakker.

I got [i]The Judging Eye[/i] over a week ago. Am loving it so far, but goddamn I miss Cnaiur. I'm currently almost halfway thru it. For me, that's insanely fast, given my normally snail-like pace, and the amount of time in a day I usually have for leisure reading.

But I've been a trooper. I've forced myself to stay awake long after when I would usually fall asleep for this book. My wife told me that at least 3 times last week, she woke up in the middle of the night to find me passed out with the book on my chest or face. That's how dedicated I am to this book. That's the level of time and commitment I've put in. Bakker better appreciate the hell out of me.

Hoping to finish by next week, if possible. Curious to read the spoiler threads and read everyone else's take on it.

[quote name='Werthead' post='1706568' date='Mar 3 2009, 23.32']Now reading [i][b]Best Served Cold [/b][/i]by The 'Crombie.

Eye-wateringly wince-inducing so far.[/quote]

I'm green with envy!

I've just finished [i]Caliban's Hour[/i] by Tad Williams. It's at the same time a sequel and prequel to, and a retelling of, Shakespeare's [i]The Tempest[/i], viewed from the perspective of Caliban. It's a simple story about the shattering of innocence, with a bit of Adam and Eve imagry thrown in for good measure. The book's shorter than most of Williams's work at 180 pages and can be read in a single evening. I enjoyed it and recommend you pick it up if you ever come across it in a used bookstore.
Next I'm going to read Rushdie's [i]The Satanic Verses[/i] for college.

[quote name='Werthead' post='1706568' date='Mar 3 2009, 16.32']Now reading [i][b]Best Served Cold [/b][/i]by The 'Crombie.

Eye-wateringly wince-inducing so far.[/quote]

That bad? Man, that Abercrombie guy should never write again!

....I love you, Joe!

I've just finished Carolyn Turgeon's 'Godmother', a look at how the Cinderella story might really have gone and what the consquences were... 'Godmother' is a slow old read but magical at the same time, the story has a dark edge to it and leaves you with plenty of questions. My full review is over [url="http://www.graemesfantasybookreview.com"]Here[/url].
I'm now reading Robert Rankin's 'The da da de da da code'...

This weekend I finished the latest Kitty book, [i][b]Kitty Raises Hell[/b][/i] ([url="http://thedecklededge.blogspot.com/2009/03/review-kitty-raises-hell.html"]review[/url]). It's another solid entry in the series and it seems Vaughn is starting to build up a larger overall plot much like Butcher is doing in the Dresden Files.

Next up is [b][i]Palimpsest[/i][/b] by Catherynne Valente that I'll be reviewing for Bookspot Central.

Today I embark on the epic reread. Starting with [i]A Game of Thrones[/i] today, I will be rereading ASOIF and WOT. This will be occurring over the course of the next couple months as other books may be interspersed if I get them from [url="http://www.sfrevu.com/"]SFREVU[/url].

[quote name='Yerman' post='1708126' date='Mar 4 2009, 16.17']I'm doing the exact same thing, Arlington Bill! Currently on ACOK. You gonna include New Spring once you hit WoT?[/quote]

I may even start with it since chronologically it is first.

Dunk and Egg Stories may have to wait and I don't know if I will do the graphic novel versions or the Novellas.

Never actually read the second Dunk & Egg novella...something to think about! And I've done a re-read of WoT before. It can get painful, but it's worth digging through all the descriptive faecal matter in the latter books for the scenes that are pure gold. (Mat Vs Gholam, anyone?)

Finished [b]Mark Charan Newton's[/b] [i]Nights of Villjamur[/i] earlier today. Very strong debut epic fantasy, which touches on real-life concerns and is wonderfully atmospheric, with strong characters and stylish prose. And plenty of cool, innovative touches. :)

[url="http://speculativehorizons.blogspot.com/2009/03/book-review-nights-of-villjamur.html"]Full review[/url].

Archived