March 2009 reads

mashiara

[quote name='Tobin' post='1717336' date='Mar 12 2009, 19.17']Try the [b]Mercy Thompson[/b] books by Briggs, they have all the fun spark and supernatural of Anita Blake (though more Werewolf centered) but none of the gratuitous/fetish pr0n.[/quote]

Yeah, but what would we do without the fetish pr0n? Don't deny us our guilty pleasures. :P
I still have a couple of Hamilton books I need to get to, eventually. I do like the Mercy Thompson books.

I finished reading[i] Use of Weapons[/i] by Iain M. Banks. I'll admit that I had a hard time adjusting to this book because of its dual narratives/timelines. It was really confusing at first and the extra flashbacks made it even more complicated, but I kept on reading. I was afraid my high expectations wouldn't be met but I was thankfully proven wrong. I loved the complexity of Zakalwe as a character and how gradually learning about his past made as understand him a bit better every time. The ending left me speechless. I'll lie if I say I had seen it coming but looking back, all the hints were there. The climax of the book alone made me see everything in a new light. Definitely a book worth rereading.

I also read a book called [i]Paddy Clarke ha ha ha[/i] by Roddy Doyle. One of the reasons I picked it was because it won the Booker prize the year it was published. I was slightly disappointed because I expected a bit more. The book is the story of a 10 year old in the 60's, as narrated by the boy itself, in the language a boy like that would use. It lacks a central plot but rather it's about a series of incidents, not always in chronological order. It is wonderfuly and amusingly confusing I guess and in the end it left to me an impression of strong emotions rather than actual scenes. It is an interesting take of how adults are viewed by children and how their actions influence their lives in many ways, not always visible. I don't regret reading this book, it was a good read, just not what I needed at the time.

Next up is [i]Thunderer [/i]by Felix Gilman.

I'm giving up on First Man In Rome for the time being, not because of anything content wise, but because of the sheer size and physical bulk of it. I'm going to be on a plane for 6 hours tomorrow and need something a bit more compact than my 1st ed HC of the McCullough book. Now, based on absolutely nothing but instinct, what should I bring with me: Gilman's [i]Thunderer [/i]or Bakker's [i]Warrior Prophet[/i]?

[quote name='Peadar' post='1715972' date='Mar 11 2009, 09.15']I just finished Ken Macleod's [url="http://www.amazon.com/Learning-World-Scientific-Ken-MacLeod/dp/0765351773/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1236762851&sr=8-1"]Learning the World[/url]. It reminded me of a lot of Vernor Vinge's stuff with a hint of David Zindell in places.[/quote]

It did feel quite similar to [i]A Deepness in the Sky[/i]. I liked [i]Learning The World[/i] (and it is good to see that Macleod can write a book that's not primarily about politics), although I felt the ending was a little bit anti-climatic.

[quote name='Thrashalla' post='1717667' date='Mar 12 2009, 17.17']I'm giving up on First Man In Rome for the time being, not because of anything content wise, but because of the sheer size and physical bulk of it. I'm going to be on a plane for 6 hours tomorrow and need something a bit more compact than my 1st ed HC of the McCullough book. Now, based on absolutely nothing but instinct, what should I bring with me: Gilman's i]Thunderer [/i] or Bakker's [i]Warrior Prophet[/i]?[/quote]

I haven't read [i]Thunderer [/i], nor do I know if you are doing a reread on Bakker, but if you haven't, then I'd like to say that [i]Warrior Prophet[/i] is a faster read than [i]the Darkness that Comes Before[/i]. The plot moves forward at triple the speed of the first book at least, and there are some impressive character developments. I think that if you choose to bring the [i]Warrior Prophet[/i] you are likely to be on the edge of your seat.

I've finished a couple of books "recently" - the first was [b][u]Last Call[/u] by Tim Powers[/b]. Powers is somehow able to very successfully combine the Fisher King, poker, body swapping and humans assuming aspects of the cards in the tarot deck. It took me awhile to get into the story (I think this was more do to my lack of reading time lately, than a fault of the book), but once I did it was extremely enjoyable.

[b]8/10[/b]

The next book I read was [b][u]Sworn Sword[/u] by Bernard Cornwell[/b]. It's the forth book in his [i]Saxon Chronicles[/i], and like the first three it was a ripping good yarn. There wasn't all that much going on though, and it didn't advance the story all that much. As expected with a Cornwell book, it has great battle scene, good character development, and enough history to make it extremely interesting.

[b]7/10[/b]

Right now I'm "reading" [u]The Judging Eye[/u] by R. Scott Bakker. Reading is in quotes, because I've had little to no time to read it in the past week. :cry:

The little that I have read is quite good though :thumbsup:

[quote name='mashiara' post='1703787' date='Feb 28 2009, 23.53']I'm not one for podcasts but I'll check it out. I'm listening to the Intro right now and I like it. It almost feels like it will be a Byzantium 101 class, it will be interesting to see how he handles that. Thanks. :)[/quote]

How's the listening going? I swear, if I got any more than two minutes of discussion of Byzantium history in any of my education, then I must have been in a very deep sleep.

[quote name='mashiara' post='1717373' date='Mar 12 2009, 11.45']Next up is [i]Thunderer [/i]by Felix Gilman.[/quote]

Watch out for the first chapter - it's [i]very[/i] different in tone and style from the rest of the book. It's so different that it really should have been called a prologue.

[quote name='williamjm' post='1717853' date='Mar 12 2009, 18.32']It did feel quite similar to [i]A Deepness in the Sky[/i]. I liked [i]Learning The World[/i] (and it is good to see that Macleod can write a book that's not primarily about politics), although I felt the ending was [b]a little bit anti-climatic.[/b][/quote]

Really? It didn't necessarily satisfy the first contact aspects of the story to my liking but it did take the story in an impressive and highly enjoyable direction (rather than generic first contact book #24171387). The book is not perfect by any means, but on the strength of the ending I do feel it deserved its Hugo nomination.

[quote name='RedEyedGhost' post='1717993' date='Mar 13 2009, 04.56']How's the listening going? I swear, if I got any more than two minutes of discussion of Byzantium history in any of my education, then I must have been in a very deep sleep.[/quote]

I listened to the first three and then I forgot all about it. :blush: I really liked what I heard up to then though, I'll get back to it. Unlike you, I've had countless hours of Byzantine history in school. It's a lot more fun approaching that information on my own now, when nobody is going to test me on it.

[quote]Watch out for the first chapter - it's [i]very[/i] different in tone and style from the rest of the book. It's so different that it really should have been called a prologue.[/quote]

You're right, the first chapter was certainly something. The one word that comes to mind is "lyrical" but I'm not completely certain it's the appropriate one. I'm 3 chapters into the book and loving it, we'll see if I manage to finish it over the weekend. It's report cards time, so much work to be done at home. :(

[quote name='mashiara' post='1718017' date='Mar 12 2009, 21.44']Unlike you, I've had countless hours of Byzantine history in school. It's a lot more fun approaching that information on my own now, when nobody is going to test me on it.[/quote]

Everything is more fun when there won't be a test :)

[quote name='BookWyrm' post='1717920' date='Mar 12 2009, 18.31']I haven't read [i]Thunderer [/i], nor do I know if you are doing a reread on Bakker, but if you haven't, then I'd like to say that [i]Warrior Prophet[/i] is a faster read than [i]the Darkness that Comes Before[/i]. The plot moves forward at triple the speed of the first book at least, and there are some impressive character developments. I think that if you choose to bring the [i]Warrior Prophet[/i] you are likely to be on the edge of your seat.[/quote]

This is my first time through on Bakker so I am very happy to hear that this one is better paced. I guess, barring any other replies, we have a winner.

[quote name='Thrashalla' post='1718037' date='Mar 12 2009, 22.18']This is my first time through on Bakker so I am very happy to hear that this one is better paced. I guess, barring any other replies, we have a winner.[/quote]

Yep go with [u]The Warrior Prophet[/u] (it's my favorite Bakker book). You're already established in the world, and while [u]Thunderer[/u] is good, I don't think I'd consider it airplane reading.

I finished [i]The Spring of the Rams[/i] by Dunnett, the 2nd Niccolo story. As always it was a great book, however I will say that I find Nicholas basically the same character as Lymond, just different heritage. But that's ok, I like brilliant characters with elaborate plans.

I'm taking a break from the House of Niccolo though I do have the next 2 books. I'm trying not to burn myself out.

So I started [i]The Thirteeth Tale[/i] by Diane Setterfield at Mashiara's recommendation. I'm about 35 pages into it and hooked. This is my kind of story. It reminds me of [i]Shadow of the Wind[/i] to some extent but it's early.

[quote name='Mexal' post='1718179' date='Mar 13 2009, 11.33']So I started [i]The Thirteeth Tale[/i] by Diane Setterfield at Mashiara's recommendation. I'm about 35 pages into it and hooked. This is my kind of story. It reminds me of [i]Shadow of the Wind[/i] to some extent but it's early.[/quote]

I'm so glad you're enjoying it. :)

Credit goes to Arbor Gold, for bringing it to my attention.

[quote name='mashiara' post='1718220' date='Mar 13 2009, 06.49']I'm so glad you're enjoying it. :)

The credit goes to Arbor Gold, for bringing it to my attention.[/quote]

Ahh, my favorite Californian. I'll make sure she gets a present then :) That is, if I like it.

I just finished The Judging Eye by Bakker. Honestly, I was rather disappointed by the book. I can't claim to be that much of a fan of the original trilogy, I liked the books and would recommend them in a heartbeat, but there was something about them that didn't allow me to truly enjoy them. In the face of that... I don't feel that the book even came close to living up to the quality found in the original novels. There was a lot of nothing going on in the book and while there were a few parts that I found interest in, they were either few and far between. Akka's part of the book was the only one I looked forward to and I was rewarded after such a long time by the last hundred or so pages. I will read the next one, but I am not exactly excited.

Don't know what to read next. Might start Lamentation by Scholes.

[quote name='RedEyedGhost' post='1717993' date='Mar 13 2009, 02.56']Really? It didn't necessarily satisfy the first contact aspects of the story to my liking but it did take the story in an impressive and highly enjoyable direction (rather than generic first contact book #24171387). The book is not perfect by any means, but on the strength of the ending I do feel it deserved its Hugo nomination.[/quote]

I agree it was an intelligent and original ending, but I didn't think it was very dramatic. There didn't seem to be much dramatic tension at the end (from what I remember), everything just seemed to work out OK relatively easily (although there were dramatic bits in the run-up to the ending).

Incidentally, have you read Macleod's next book, [i]Execution Channel[/i] yet? That really is an audacious ending.

[quote name='williamjm' post='1718872' date='Mar 13 2009, 20.57']Incidentally, have you read Macleod's next book, [i]Execution Channel[/i] yet? That really is an audacious ending.[/quote]

I have and I agree with you. There's an even more audacious moment in the middle, as I recall :)

I finished up [i]A Magic of Nightfall [/i]by S.L. Farrell ([url="http://nethspace.blogspot.com/2009/03/magic-of-nightfall-by-sl-farrell.html"]full review[/url]). I enjoyed this book (as I did [i]A Magic of Twilight[/i]). It has a few issues, but overall, it's good epic fantasy that I think gets overlooked a bit too often.

I'm reading [i]Agent to the Stars [/i]by John Scalzi now.

Currently in the midst of reading these books:

Sarah Monette, [i]Corambis[/i]

Michio Kaku, [i]Physics of the Impossible[/i]

Poul Anderson, [i]The Broken Sword[/i]

Roberto Bolaño, [i]Amberes[/i]

Gene Wolfe, [i]The Best of Gene Wolfe[/i]

Charles Coleman Finlay, [i]The Prodigal Troll[/i]

The final book of the trilogy, [i]The Final Sacrifice[/i], by Patricia Bray was by far the best of the three. Lots of action, interesting character development and a few plot twists thrown in the midst. Overall, the series is average at best, due to the slow beginning and tepid middle.
I popped by the library and picked up [i]The Book of Joby[/i] by Mark Ferrari. I've been wanting to read this one for a while even though I have a huge pile of books to be read.

[quote name='Guinevere Seaworth' post='1719072' date='Mar 13 2009, 23.46']The final book of the trilogy, [i]The Final Sacrifice[/i], by Patricia Bray was by far the best of the three. Lots of action, interesting character development and a few plot twists thrown in the midst. Overall, the series is average at best, due to the slow beginning and tepid middle.[/quote]

I think you might like her other series The Sword of Change.

Archived