Tea Bagging

Arlingzen Bill

the teabags are going to the entire congress, not just the president's office, and it would be marvelous if you dropped the urban dictionary definition. We all know what the teabags are in reference to (the Boston Tea Party, as previous mentioned).

[quote name='Watcher' post='1752416' date='Apr 11 2009, 16.20']What a bunch of whiney a-holes that I have no sympathy for. When taxes were lowered in 2001 it was part of the law that it was only for 8 years. This was part of the plan that their taxes were going back up to the same level there would before that tax law happened.[/quote]

[url="http://jackmchughblog.wordpress.com/2009/04/10/how-to-spoil-a-tea-party/"]LINK[/url]

[quote]What many people don’t recognize yet is the proper target of their rage: a self-serving, self perpetuating, inbred and bipartisan political class.

Some in the Tea Party movement think that it’s a protest against Democrats. I refer them to “Government, massive expansion of, 2001-2006” – a period during which Republicans held all the marbles.

My purpose here is not to beat up on Republicans. But let’s not delude ourselves: Parties aren’t about principles, they’re about power – getting and keeping it.

Restoring limited, representative government will only happen when both political parties and all politicians are forced to align not just their words but their behavior with this goal. Here’s how Milton Friedman described how to accomplish that:

“The important thing is to establish a political climate of opinion which will make it politically profitable for the wrong people to do the right thing. Unless it is politically profitable for the wrong people to do the right thing, the right people will not do the right thing either, or if they try, they will shortly be out of office.”

Note what’s not included in that recipe: Electing more lawmakers of a particular party.[/quote]

[quote name='RhaegarTar' post='1752573' date='Apr 11 2009, 20.31']the teabags are going to the entire congress, not just the president's office, and it would be marvelous if you dropped the urban dictionary definition. We all know what the teabags are in reference to (the Boston Tea Party, as previous mentioned).[/quote]

I dunno...if some group started mailing hairdryers to Sarah Palin, protesting her using 2010 campaign money for fashion (hypothetically) while their battle cry was "Blow jobs for Palin!", I think we'd be within our rights to snicker at that long and hard, no matter how clear the reference was.

the tea party's are NOT NOT NOT about electing more representatives of a particular party. Many of the people I know who are organizing the events (who I worked with in DC and many of whom now run the Campaign for Liberty, Young America's Foundation, Young for Western Civilization, ect), are all done with the Republican party as it currently exists, outside of someone like Ron Paul or Mark Sanford (who has taken some hits recently since he said that NK should be attacked)

We are all aware of the serious fucking idiocy that George Bush (who was about as conservative as my hippie mother) put us through. This is about taking our country back, not just more Karl Rovian strategies meant to put OUR guys in the driving seats of the government agencies.

[quote name='RhaegarTar' post='1752573' date='Apr 12 2009, 06.31']We all know what the teabags are in reference to (the Boston Tea Party, as previous mentioned).[/quote]
So then it wouldn't be inappropriate at all to want to tea bag Sarah Palin or perhaps more fittingly Democratic Governor Jennifer Granholm of Michigan?

[quote name='RhaegarTar' post='1752518' date='Apr 11 2009, 20.03']On Wednesday millions are going to participate in tea-party protests around the country. I hope your all paying attention, as the media certainly will not be.[/quote]

I'm sorry but you guys just don't have the practice, drive or numbers. Millions my ass. Your fundies got it, but this ain't about gays or abortion, so they're staying home. Your gunnuts and working/middle class 'I hate everybody' types disdain hippies and everything that can be remotely attached to them, including protesting, so they're not bothering. The Wall Streeters either have jobs or are looking for em, they're out. There aren't enough Young Republicans in any given college town to run a Starbucks, let alone fill out a protest. Suburban republicans come out in throngs of tens of tens most protest days and quickly lose interest. So what do you have left? Rondroids? Despite their unfathomable internet popularity and proven 'drive' (fanaticism?), primary polling proved that they're statistically insignificant and they're gonna be incapable of drawing the crowds you're anticipating alone.

I'm sorry, but if I see individual crowds larger than a thousand in more than 2-3 cities, I'll be absolutely shocked.

[quote]the tea party's are NOT NOT NOT about electing more representatives of a particular party.[/quote]

Please. This is an entirely Republican movement (if it even deserves to be called a movement), supported and attended by Republicans only, constantly pimped and advocated by Republican propaganda sources, pushed exclusively by Republican talking heads and elected officials. Might be a shred of credibility to this notion if it was done while Bush was in office, but no, all this shit had to wait til the other guys got elected. This isn't about taxation or representation, its about a bunch of schmucks weeping in their cornflakes, crying foul over the fact that they got their asses kicked in the election.

[quote name='EHK for Darwin' post='1752709' date='Apr 12 2009, 03.20']Please. This is an entirely Republican movement (if it even deserves to be called a movement), supported and attended by Republicans only, constantly pimped and advocated by Republican propaganda sources, pushed exclusively by Republican talking heads and elected officials. Might be a shred of credibility to this notion if it was done while Bush was in office, but no, all this shit had to wait til the other guys got elected. This isn't about taxation or representation, its about a bunch of schmucks weeping in their cornflakes, crying foul over the fact that they got their asses kicked in the election.[/quote]
Well said.

[quote name=''Andrew Sullivan'']As a fiscal conservative who actually believed in those principles when the Republicans were in power, I guess I should be happy at this phenomenon. And I would be if it had any intellectual honesty, any positive proposals, and any recognizable point. What it looks like to me is some kind of amorphous, generalized rage on the part of those who were used to running the country and now don't feel part of the culture at all. But the only word for that is: tantrum.

[b]These are not tea-parties. They are tea-tantrums. And the adolescent, unserious hysteria is a function not of a movement regrouping and refinding itself. It's a function of a movement's intellectual collapse and a party's fast-accelerating nervous breakdown.[/b][/quote]
[url="http://andrewsullivan.theatlantic.com/the_daily_dish/2009/04/time-for-tea.html?reds"]http://andrewsullivan.theatlantic.com/the_...r-tea.html?reds[/url], boldface mine

Andrew Sullivan isn't conservative on a single fucking issue, just like David Brooks, William Kristol or that new "con" the NYT hired who wrote a book about how if we just bribed a few more people and got rid of some principles like, say, balancing the budget, we could "win" again. God we need term limits so we can cut off about 50% of the assholes sucking at the DC teet, for both parties.

[quote name='RhaegarTar' post='1752844' date='Apr 12 2009, 12.04']Andrew Sullivan isn't conservative on a single fucking issue, just like David Brooks, William Kristol or that new "con" the NYT hired who wrote a book about how if we just bribed a few more people and got rid of some principles like, say, balancing the budget, we could "win" again. God we need term limits so we can cut off about 50% of the assholes sucking at the DC teet, for both parties.[/quote]
he was pretty conservative on blowing the bush administration for a while

anyway that's not really relevant at all :huh:

[quote name='RhaegarTar' post='1752844' date='Apr 12 2009, 11.04']Andrew Sullivan isn't conservative on a single issue, just like David Brooks, William Kristol or that new "con" the NYT hired who wrote a book about how if we just bribed a few more people and got rid of some principles like, say, balancing the budget, we could "win" again. God we need term limits so we can cut off about 50% of the assholes sucking at the DC teet, for both parties.[/quote]

It's not surprising to me that's your evalution, since IMHO you only want to give the label "conservative" to people who most of the rest of the world would say are [u]ultraconservative[/u] on [u]every[/u] issue.

[quote name='Inigima' post='1752242' date='Apr 11 2009, 08.32']Yeah, they're trying to evoke the Boston Tea Party, but it's pretty irrational. That was a working class uprising against the wealthy, this is the opposite. And drinking tea has traditionally been associated with upper class oppressors, not lower class oppressees.

The "teabagging" moniker, as far as I can tell, is something our side of the aisle is using to make fun of the plan, not something they chose themselves.[/quote]
This is NOT the opposite! This is the same. It's the working class, rising up in protest against the corrupt and oppressive government that is tyrannically taxing us into oblivion. I, myself, have sent 5 tea-tags so far (They informed us not to send the actual tea-bag as Homeland Security intercepts it as a "suspicious substance" and treats it like it's Anthrax - Complete with adding the sender to the Terrorist Watch List). This is the first time I've heard the term "tea-bagging" come into play with this movement. Perhaps you would care to educate yourself before you decide to start bashing a very Pro-American movement [url="http://newamericanteaparty.com/"]Here's some info![/url] [url="http://taxdayteaparty.com/"]Here's some more![/url] [url="http://features.csmonitor.com/politics/2009/02/27/budget-debate-launches-new-tea-party/"] And here's a News Story about it.[/url]

[quote name='Kat' post='1752635' date='Apr 12 2009, 00.47']I dunno...if some group started mailing hairdryers to Sarah Palin, protesting her using 2010 campaign money for fashion (hypothetically) while their battle cry was "Blow jobs for Palin!", I think we'd be within our rights to snicker at that long and hard, no matter how clear the reference was.[/quote]

I've got 20 dollars I'd donate to that cause.

[quote name='Seventh Pup' post='1753738' date='Apr 13 2009, 15.41']Out of curiousity can women be part of the tea bagging movement? :unsure:[/quote]

if you can come up with a better term than "grapefruiting", then welcome aboard :cheers:

[quote name='the Blauer Dragon' post='1753686' date='Apr 13 2009, 23.06']This is NOT the opposite! This is the same. It's the working class, rising up in protest against the corrupt and oppressive government that is tyrannically taxing us into oblivion.[/quote]
Where were these protests while St. Ronnie was in white house and had about 10% higher taxes in place? Besides wasn´t Boston Tea Party mostly rich merchants not working class?

Archived