World of Warcraft

TerraPrime

Healed Ulduar 10 on my druid last night for the first time. Considering she's done exactly 2/3rds of a Naxx25 run since hitting 80, and maybe 2 heroics, I think it went okay. Having three healers at least gave me a mental cushion, as I'm used to running it with two.

Druid healing has changed a bit since I was used to playing her. I miss rolling a million lifeblooms :( Got two nice upgrades (cloak and trinket. Green trinkets lol) and only died on one boss (stupid Tantrum+LightBomb at the same time). Latency was still higher than it should be, even with the distance. I'll keep tweaking.

Been able to get into a few fun runs...Sarth 25 (no loot), the very end of a Naxx 25 before the server went down (only downed Sapphiron because we wiped twice on KT due to stupidity and then lack of people...but I got Bandit's Insignia). Thus far I've gotten 3 Naxx-10 drops and 1 Naxx-25 drop two weapons (Claymore of Ancient Power, big upgrade for my ret, and Slayer of the Lifeless which is kind of just a side grade from the Red Sword of Courage) and two ret trinkets..the one I linked before and Loatheb's Shadow..which is nice, but I'd really like some tier armor lol. Actually, I just realized I got Bracers of Lost Sentiments...so I guess I am doing pretty ok in terms of winning loot haha. Up to 2.6k dps. :)

Guild drama cleared up after I talked to everyone involved which is good. Planning our guild's first Naxx-10 run tonight at 10pm server time. :Fingers crossed: I'll be tanking it, so hopefully that will go well. Think we might need to pug a healer and we may have too many melee dps..but we'll get through as much as we can.

Naxx isn't too mean about melee dps, at least. Hurts like hell on KT.

Tried to Pug Emalon last night. The 25-man collapsed at 12 people, so we downgraded to 10-man. Wiped repeatedly. Well, 3 times before giving up. Had a shaman who wasn't outdamaging me while I tanked,the hunter declared that "it's hard figuring out which add got the charge", and the paladin OT somehow couldn't keep the adds off the healers. Bailed and ended up dpsing Sarth 25. Wrong loot dropped, but I was pushing 2700 even though I was finding it hard to dodge flame walls and target adds correctly, with the flame walls flickering on and off and my screen lagging. And at least half the raid wasn't hitting spawns. Might have hit 3k if I'd just stayed on Sarth like most of the raiders.

Attempted a failed Vault pug on the hunter last night. One person left when he wanted to do Emalon first, as he didnt want to be saved to a failed instance if we couldnt get him down after Archavon. LOL

He needn't have worried.

The off tank didn't have the ability to taunt appearantly. Archavon would run around killing people til the MT could pick him back up. One attempt and about 10 people bailed.

That and of course lots of people stood in the pretty clouds.

I had a really great 4-man DTK pug run last night, and one of the four was a 73 hunter with a 72 pet. It ran like butter. Then I had an utter fail of a VH pug right afterwards. We wiped four times, and then the healer said she was too busy with guild drama to do it right so she left.

What I don't get is how, if you're a 77 warlock or rogue with decent gear, you aren't doing more damage than me as a Prot warrior tank. I mean, how do you get to that level being that bad? I might get it if you're a total noob, but if you're in dungeon blues you've had to be doing this at least a little while, right? It just baffles me. All I'm doing is hammering devastate/sunder/revenge/shield slam and dumping excess rage into heroic strike. Surely you can do better than that? Right? Your only job is to stand there and hit the bad guys until they fall down. I actually have to pay attention to stuff. THERE IS NO EXCUSE.

Some people suck, and suck bad. The worst are the naxx raiders that have never been there before, don't botther to alt tab and read wow-wiki, and fucking don't respond when you ask if there are any newbs.

Mandy, I'd probably be up for a couple Heroics if I'm on. I want to get my +10% exp cloth shoulders for when the next expansion comes out...

I need to crack down and level my alts. Being 80 and only needing to pug 25 mans is a really shitty place to be. On the plus side, I'm almost always in the top 5 if not top 3 on DPS, even in 25 mans depending on the fight.

I mean, how do you get to that level being that bad?

You could be borderline retarded and hit 80 eventually. game doesnt start till 80 anyways

Attempted a failed Vault pug on the hunter last night. One person left when he wanted to do Emalon first, as he didnt want to be saved to a failed instance if we couldnt get him down after Archavon. LOL

He needn't have worried.

The off tank didn't have the ability to taunt appearantly. Archavon would run around killing people til the MT could pick him back up. One attempt and about 10 people bailed.

That and of course lots of people stood in the pretty clouds.

I agree with his mentality, to be fair, though I'm also likely to try and organize some archavon-only runs when I hit 80 on my DK; she'll be geared enough for stone but no way in hell a fresh 80 is ready for storm. But wipes on Archavon are something I haven't actually witnessed yet, if we discount the first time my guild tried, and we tried with 9 and no OT. Yeah, you don't do Archavon with one tank-capable person only.

Actually got a nice set of pugging in; Emalon 10 success on both warrior and paladin (picked up PvP pants for the warrior by default) and OS 10 on paladin. Didn't get any useful gear but I didn't miss my chances at least. I was also rather surprised I was able to keep up with the healing, but I'm assuming the priest helped out on the MT as well. The fact that the OT failed at the beginning and got my face pushed in for casting Bacon didn't help matters.

Finally got Frenzyheart exalted on the warrior, so now I'll probably shift my dailies focus to finishing off Sons of Hodir for the paladin, at least until I abandon the puppies and grind Oracles rep instead. Also did a couple venture bay dailies and sat around to turn the bay so I could pick up the holy shock libram.

There are always truly bad people, from the boomkin in my guild who can't seem to stay ahead of tanks to the guild leader, who is incapable of remembering to repair; she apparently ran Emalon with 3 pieces of gear broken. Me, I'd say I needed to go repair and get resummoned, not just deal with broken gear. To the people who just flat out have no clue how to play the game.

Re: GoN

Where did you guys tank the Deconstructor? I know your group doesn't like to use strat guides so I am just curious what strategy you ended up with from figuring it out on your own.

Re: Yags

What I don't get is how, if you're a 77 warlock or rogue with decent gear, you aren't doing more damage than me as a Prot warrior tank. I mean, how do you get to that level being that bad? I might get it if you're a total noob, but if you're in dungeon blues you've had to be doing this at least a little while, right? It just baffles me.

Plenty of people get carried through dungeons, even heroic ones. I've PUG'd a hunter with a Nax25 purple and a few blues who still pulled only 920 dps in heroic UP, with 70% of his total damage from autoshot. Some people play poorly because they just don't care (to ask for help, to learn on their own, whatever). Others because they were never told they're bad. Then there're others who ebay their toons and this is the 4th time they logged on to the game. It's hard to tell what's what in a PUG though.

And along that line, I'm peeved at people who insult and make fun of the people playing badly. I always assume that they just don't know better, and usually say something like "hey, do you know that your dps level is below what your gear level should be?" instead of "lol you suck as a hunter you nub." If they respond well, I always give what suggestion I have, and most of the time it's real simple like "try using Hunter's Mark on the mobs before you start attacking" and "send your pet in right away instead of waiting till halfway through the fight." Yes this is stuff they shou;d know, but obviously, they don't, and they're not going to get better by being ridiculed (well, unless the ridiculing makes them want to do better, I suppose).

After I decided to quit raiding, I got a bad cold and had a light work week, so I ended up raiding 2 nights this week. My guild runs a dkp system that takes your attendance into account, but the attendance thing sucks. You start in the lowest bracket out of 4, and it's updated at the end of the raiding week. I'm a new, part time raider, so it is not a system in my favor. anyone in a higher attendance bracket beats a roll in a lower bracket no matter what the roll is, so it's super hard to get stuff if you're not there every raid for a month. I think what's going to happen is that I'll end up raiding maybe once every two weeks, so I'll have some RP but no attendance, and by the time I save enough RP to buy anything, it'll all be on farm and I wont need it.

Where did you guys tank the Deconstructor? I know your group doesn't like to use strat guides so I am just curious what strategy you ended up with from figuring it out on your own.

We settled on the tank being on the foot of the stairs and deconstructor in front of him (closer to the raid). We just make sure we have a ranged person on each side to take care of adds, OT runs around and picks up the big guys. There might be a better position, but that's worked well for us so that's what we are sticking with at the moment.

Good night in Ulduar last night. FL, Ignis, Razorscale, Deconstructor, Auriya, and Freya all down. Our ret pally is in Bermuda or something, so we learned how much fun 2 healing without replenishment was, and we definitely were down in DPS overall as well. Bring the player, not the class my ass.

We'll finish off Thorim and Hodir on Sunday, I hope, and get some time in on Mimiron, who should go down. Single digit percent wipes last time we had a go at him. ><

Over two nights I got the silly children's week achievements for both me and skylark. On Felhoof it wasn't so hard, and with some help from a couple guildies I basically one-shot each BG for it.

But skylark was interesting. She went and did it on AV after a few hours, then got AB (barely) - but it was up to me to do the rest. EoTS ended up being 15-6 in favor of horde, so I easily capped twice and got a couple achievements for it too. But I was terrified of having to return a flag after it was dropped.

So me and this priest sat in the starting area and hoped that we'd get to stop some lowly rogue or something. This warrior came up the tunnel, and I waved at them - hey, let 'em have the flag for now, right?

And they came up, grabbed the flag...and then dropped it right in front of me.

I returned it, then they did the same thing again so that the other priest could get it.

They needed that achievement too, so I did my best. I told the other hordies that this was the case, tried to get that warrior to come to us so they could click the flag, but most of the horde in the BG were dicks. When they weren't dicks, the alliance players were - she had two chances when I grabbed the flag to return it but someone else did it first. So she didn't get it. Sorry, Clarity...I tried.

Anyway, just need heroic UP on Felhoof and I'm done with this holiday. Please, blizzard, no back-to-back holiday events. I didn't mind noblegarden that much, but doing it then this and combining it with trying to get the crusade quests done on two toons...ugh.

[

We settled on the tank being on the foot of the stairs and deconstructor in front of him (closer to the raid). We just make sure we have a ranged person on each side to take care of adds, OT runs around and picks up the big guys. There might be a better position, but that's worked well for us so that's what we are sticking with at the moment.

Apparently (this is good news for the hard modes) you can tank XT in between the trash piles on one side or the other and adds won't spawn from those piles. Which makes it significantly easier, since you have have the locations and the locations are WAAAAAAAY far away.

The reason that DKP systems favor attendance is because a raid is a team effort. Every piece of gear is earned by the entire team. A piece of loot that is going to be in the raid 4 times a week is more valuable than a piece of gear that is going to be in the raid 2 days a week.

Blue, if you are not on the front lines tanking cutting edge content, then why do you need the loot? How does it help your raid? Is the accomplishment getting 9 pieces of tier 12 or killing Captain Raidstomp?

And honestly, Blue, if they were doing some other system like loot council I wouldn't want to give loot to a part time trial raider over a full timer until the full timers had what they wanted anyway. It's a hard pill to swallow some times, but the fact is that it makes your raid better giving it to someone who will be there all the time, even if it's a bigger upgrade to someone else.

Blue, if you are not on the front lines tanking cutting edge content, then why do you need the loot? How does it help your raid? Is the accomplishment getting 9 pieces of tier 12 or killing Captain Raidstomp?

I'm not tanking anything, so that's not part of the equation :P

I dont really need the gear I guess, I should prolly just stick with my original intent and quit. They remind me of you guys in attitude, so if all I can give them is a day a week or less, they probably dont want me there.

Anyway, just need heroic UP on Felhoof and I'm done with this holiday. Please, blizzard, no back-to-back holiday events. I didn't mind noblegarden that much, but doing it then this and combining it with trying to get the crusade quests done on two toons...ugh.

Being a casual is hard work! :P

Adding to what Kal, and Stego said,

I understand both sides of the loot distibution argument. From the new player/recruit view, you helped kill the boss, loot you want dropped, you should have a shot at it. understandable. However from a guild leader perspective, My raid has downed a boss and a piece of loot that more than one person wants dropped. It could go to the new player, whos not going to be raiding much, or it could go to a long time raider who makes it to 19 out of 20 raids and has been downing this boss for weeks looking for that drop. Its better for the guild for the drop to go to the second player.

I've been on both sides. In Mask of Sorrow I was a social member. I raided Kara on Saturdays. I got to do a couple 25s when I had a day off of work, and on our first Leo kill I was 3rd in dps. Something dropped that would have been a big upgrade, but I didnt get a shot at it, because giving it to me wouldn't help the raid. Sucks for me, but hey I understood. Eveyone else had been working at that boss for weeks.

Anyways in wrath especailly loot will drop again. Naxx is easy, ulduar is getting nerfed weekly. The gear will come. Next time you get to raid the other tanks will have better gear, or the time after that. We have one player who works as a 911 operator. He can only raid 50% of the time. Our rules state you need 65% attendence to get loot priority. He has to wait until everyone else gets their gear. But he still has great gear. We had at least two recruits get gear last night in their first run with us.

Archived