EHK for MMA

Analu

I think Joe Rogan summed it up perfectly for me, when he said that 'the Machida era has begun'.

He could be champ for a long, long time.

I'm not going to completely rule out a Rampage win against him though. I'd expect Machida to win but I do think Jackson has a slim chance of victory.

He'd need to improve his footwork but only so he can trap Machida against the cage and utilise his strength. It would have to be early (maybe even in the first 3 minutes) but if he could get his paws on Machida and rough him up without eating too many blows, I think he just might shock Machida.

There's a lot of ifs buts and maybes in that, so the clever money would be on Machida in the 2nd or 3rd.

I'm still baffled by Sean Sherk's stupidity. Why would someone with arms like a T-Rex and average at best, boxing skills ignore what he does best and throw away any chance at a title shot?!! As Ser Barry said to me, it's one thing going in with a stupid game plan but a whole new world of stupidity to stick with it when you are getting picked to pieces. Most frustrating fight ever (and I don't even like Sherk)!!

I'm glad that Hughes won though because as much as I don't care for Hughes, I fucking hate Serra.

I think Joe Rogan summed it up perfectly for me, when he said that 'the Machida era has begun'.

He could be champ for a long, long time.

I'm not going to completely rule out a Rampage win against him though. I'd expect Machida to win but I do think Jackson has a slim chance of victory.

He'd need to improve his footwork but only so he can trap Machida against the cage and utilise his strength. It would have to be early (maybe even in the first 3 minutes) but if he could get his paws on Machida and rough him up without eating too many blows, I think he just might shock Machida.

There's a lot of ifs buts and maybes in that, so the clever money would be on Machida in the 2nd or 3rd.

I'm still baffled by Sean Sherk's stupidity. Why would someone with arms like a T-Rex and average at best, boxing skills ignore what he does best and throw away any chance at a title shot?!! As Ser Barry said to me, it's one thing going in with a stupid game plan but a whole new world of stupidity to stick with it when you are getting picked to pieces. Most frustrating fight ever (and I don't even like Sherk)!!

I'm glad that Hughes won though because as much as I don't care for Hughes, I fucking hate Serra.

Well, Sherk also said that he thought he did good with his boxing against Penn, when everyone else could see that he didn't accomplish shit :rolleyes: He gives up a sizeable reach advantage to pretty much everyone he meets, yet still thinks it's a good idea to box. Something isn't right, and I suspect the criticism he received earlier in his career for L'n'P:ing his way to victory may have something to do with it. But still, mix it the fuck up!

So we finally know, beyond a shadow of a doubt, what would happen if Ryu from Street Fighter met up with Jax from Moral Kombat in the cage. We always suspected, but now we know.

I wonder how much of Machida's success is derived from that fact that his style is so unique. Rashad apparently didn't bring in any Shotokan fighters to train with. That's like a baseball player trying to hit a knuckleball without ever having one thrown to him before. A fight with Anderson will probably never happen, but it would be interesting as he would be familiar with Machida's tactics. Royce was effective, because of unfamiliarity with BJJ. If Severn was familiar with his style he would have beaten him easily. The guys gunning for Machida's belt will be training more than Thai and Dutch boxing now.

I think this is a huge component to Machida's success. There is no one out there that can prepare you for his style. It's similar to the way that BJ's flexibility gives him such a great advantage. He can pull off BJJ moves from angles that people can't prepare for. It would be interesting to see Evans get a rematch. I'm sure the result would be similar, but I'm sure you would see a different fight from him, and a different training camp.

The guys gunning for Machida's belt will be training more than Thai and Dutch boxing now.

That would seem to play right into Machida's hands too, as from everything I understand of Machida Karate, it's not something you can just learn in a year or two and master. Might just be better to study his footwork, timing, how he creates angles and openings, etc. instead of wasting time trying to learn Shotokan karate in a few months before facing him.

And Machida drinks his own urine? What in god's name for?

I love Rampage, but unless he channels some of what he was doing in PRIDE into the fight with Machida, I see him getting dominated. He's pretty much been a one-trick pony his last few fights in the UFC. Where'd his slams and GNP go?

Where'd his slams and GNP go?
Actually he was about to slam Forrest until he let go of the submission attempt.

Besides that, consider that his trainer has been Juanito Ibarra for the better part of his UFC career, so he's been keen on using his hands more.

What the fuck, Machida really does this? What's wrong with just taking a multi-vitamin?

Found this on the Underground. Sweep the Leg! It's awesome that he's planning on wearing this. I now hope he wins the Super Hulk tourney.

Oh God. It's like DREAM took all the worst aspects of PRIDE with none of the good things. HMC is going to kill him. Literally. He's literally going to kill him.

Although, now that I look at the card, there are some damn good fights there: Jacare vs Mayhem should be a barnburner, so should JZ vs Kawajiri and Hunt vs Mousasi. Looks like it starts at 11pm where I am, so will try to catch as much of it as I can. Long live HDNET

What the fuck, Machida really does this? What's wrong with just taking a multi-vitamin?

Oh God. It's like DREAM took all the worst aspects of PRIDE with none of the good things. HMC is going to kill him. Literally. He's literally going to kill him.

Although, now that I look at the card, there are some damn good fights there: Jacare vs Mayhem should be a barnburner, so should JZ vs Kawajiri and Hunt vs Mousasi. Looks like it starts at 11pm where I am, so will try to catch as much of it as I can. Long live HDNET

Shit, that's at 4am this morning. I am so recording that.

Jacare/Miller sounds like a fight not to miss.

I just watched MMA Connected ( a Canadian content orientated MMA show on Sportsnet) and they are babbling away about a possible Lesnar/Machida superfight in the nebulous future. Interest in such a superfight has allegedly been expressed by Machida's camp. As bad as Machida looked the other night, I don't see that one going so well for him. And if it's going to happen, I suggest Machida do it sooner than latter before giving that genetic freak time to fill holes. If Machida did walk in there and beat Lesnar down, that's be as close as we get to one of those 'David v. Goliath' fights as we get in the UFC since the weight classes came in. I would hope that Machida at least defends his belt a few times (you know, before we start presuming the Machida era IS here) before they start monkeying around with cross weight class super fights.

I'm also a bit annoyed that it appears they are gonna do the old coach v. coach, hold the belt up for way too much time dance with Rampage and Machida for TUF 10. I HATE IT when they lock the belts up that way! I don't care for various champions' multi weight class belt holding aspirations for the same reason. If your going to hold two belts, you'd better be willing to defend twice as often IMHO. Single division champs aren't defending the belt often enough for my liking.

I hear what others are saying about Rashad being quicker and moving more than Rampage. While that may be so, I could see Rampage's raw power and extremely thick whiskers making up for suspected technique deficiencies in a way that makes things difficult for Machida. Jackson can absorb enough punishment and cut off the cage with his aggression in a way as to force the counterstriker into a brawl, is what my MMA gut tells me. Sounds like we'll find out, from what I've heard, around DECEMBER! :thumbsdown:

GSP, where to begin.

Let's start with what we difinitely agree on. TUF is just an annoyance now. I mean, we just got the LHW division going again from the last time they stopped it down for TUF and now it's gonna be on the shelf again? They should either shorten the shooting schedule or rotate it between the divisions 1 time per year. So every 5 years a division has to have the life sucked out of it.

... or they could always get rid of it.

Now Mirko Cro Cop can tell you how hard it is to cut the huge, octagon-shaped, cage on a guy as slow as Gabriel Gonzaga, do you truly think that Rampage can cut off the cage on a guy who moves as deftly as Machida? It is hard enough cutting off the octagon on anyone who's looking to circle let alone Machida. If that is his plan, he will tire out very quickly. He won't be able to engage Machida into a brawl. You need a guy who can land, or at least throw, two punch combos in quick succession to do that to a guy who defends as well as Machida. Rather than Machida circling away, force him straight back and make him think abit. Going forward Rampage should be looking for the clinch, pure and simple. Hold Machida in one spot and make him feel a few punches, even if they're little more than rabbit punches.

Besides, the last thing that Rampage wants is a Brawl. His hands are slower than Machida and far, far less accurate. This is especially when things start getting hairy and he starts throwing wild hooks. This isn't a good recipe for success, IMO. His best weapon is a well timed cross.

I could see Rampage's raw power and extremely thick whiskers making up for suspected technique deficiencies in a way that makes things difficult for Machida.

Maybe I'm a little stale on MMA terminology, but I have no idea what you mean about his "extremely thick whickers". Is that supposed to relate to his chin?

If so, Jackson has an excellent chin, but then, I also thought that Rashad did as well, for all the good it did him.

Besides, the last thing that Rampage wants is a Brawl. His hands are slower than Machida and far, far less accurate. This is especially when things start getting hairy and he starts throwing wild hooks. This isn't a good recipe for success, IMO. His best weapon is a well timed cross.

IMO, the best way to beat Machida is to get him to the ground and try to work a submission. As Rampage isn't known for being a particularly great grappler, the next best option seems to get him to the ground and GNP him, which Rampage is awesome at.

But that's easier said than done. Lyoto's sumo training obviously has helped him, and he's no slouch on the ground, as evidenced with his black belt in BJJ and his arm triangle against Soko. But IMO, that seems to be where to start. Get him to the mat, ASAP. Standing and trading with him seems pretty foolhardy at this point, unless you really think you have him figured out and think you can catch him.

One of the best prognosticators of the sport today is Jordan Breen. I remember hearing him on Sherdog Radio breaking down the sutble differences between boxing and MMA striking tendancies and it was so good and clear. Alot of Sherdoggers learned something that day.

Seriously guys, he understands boxing as well as MMA to the point that he could do a good job working for HBO on their boxing cards or would be a great call-man on some type of mixed card if HBO ever comes off of its high horse to put one together.

Here's his analysis of the Machida fight. Very insightful.

One of the best prognosticators of the sport today is Jordan Breen. I remember hearing him on Sherdog Radio breaking down the sutble differences between boxing and MMA striking tendancies and it was so good and clear. Alot of Sherdoggers learned something that day.

Seriously guys, he understands boxing as well as MMA to the point that he could do a good job working for HBO on their boxing cards or would be a great call-man on some type of mixed card if HBO ever comes off of its high horse to put one together.

Here's his analysis of the Machida fight. Very insightful.

I'm sort of conflicted on Breen. On one hand he speaks with an intelligence and depth of knowledge about MMA that is stunning, on the other he is sort of a arrogant prick.

Sherdog always has a round table before the UFC's with TJ DeSantis, Jordan Breen, and who ever else they can scratch together. I think it is fun to listen to the round table after the fights, so you can laugh about how wrong they are, or marvel at their accuracy. Yesterday I listened to the UFC 98 roundtable pretty much just to catch Breens pre-fight analysis of the Evans/Machida matchup. He said something to the effect of "People have been saying this a contest of Athleticism versus Elusiveness, two things I didn't know were in opposition." He went on to say that people will talk about fights in those types of platitudes, explosiveness, having a good chin, experience, etc. While it's fine to talk about fights in those terms the truth of the matter is that what wins or loses a fight are specific technical things that people do or fail to do. It was sort of a "good f#cking point" moment for me. He then went on to say that Machida would win the fight and hold the belt for a long time.

Yeah, I dunno. I don't read Sherdog and stopped going to other MMA forums a long time ago, but this Breen guy sounds kinda like a buffoon, albeit a knowledgable buffoon.

He did a good job deconstructing how easily Lyoto took out Evans, but I didn't like how he had no problem pooh-poohing what others are saying might be the best way to beat Machida, while offering no ideas of his own on how to do it. Outside of, and paraphrasing, "When you idiots are smart enough to analyze how he fights like I obviously am, then you'll be able to figure him out. But oh, I have no idea how to beat him".

Fell asleep partway thru the DREAM card (apparently while I was in the middle of drinking as my kids woke me up with chocolate milk all over my face and shirt), but the Crusher fight was pretty sick, and Canseco did better than I thought he would. Gonna have to avoid mmajunkie and other sites the rest of the day until I get a chance to watch the rest.

He did a good job deconstructing how easily Lyoto took out Evans, but I didn't like how he had no problem pooh-poohing what others are saying might be the best way to beat Machida, while offering no ideas of his own on how to do it. Outside of, and paraphrasing, "When you idiots are smart enough to analyze how he fights like I obviously am, then you'll be able to figure him out. But oh, I have no idea how to beat him".

If I remember correctly, in Street Fighter the easiest way to beat Ryu was to play Ken, who could do everything Ryu could, but had more range on his Super Upper Cut. From there you danced around outside his range and waited for Ryu to throw a chi ball and Super Upper Cutted through it.

If I remember correctly, in Street Fighter the easiest way to beat Ryu was to play Ken, who could do everything Ryu could, but had more range on his Super Upper Cut. From there you danced around outside his range and waited for Ryu to throw a chi ball and Super Upper Cutted through it.

Well, there ya go then! Obviously YOU'RE the one to beat Machida, Ken! :P

But seriously, I still maintain the best approach is to get him to the mat or pushed up against the cage and GNP or try to work a submission. Easier said than done, obviously, but that's more than what Breen peacock had to say about how to beat him.

Archived