Exercise & Fitness III

Greywolf2375

Off for my bike ride. I really don't want to go, but my distance-running, mountain-climbing sister is coming for a visit in August and we are renting a house in Seneca Lake for a week. That means lots of hiking in Ithaca and swimming in Seneca Lake. I gotta keep up, and I gotta look better than her in a swim suit.

This has not been a good week for me. I think I overworked myself on the weekend, because after going to the gym, my parents called and asked for help in their yard. I agreed, but I should have known I was basically signing up for chain-gang labor. :rolleyes: Spent too long doing the equivalent of a zillion squats to scoop up pans of gravel, sort them, and haul them. If this sounds dumb, it is. Then I should never have agreed to this kickboxing class on Wednesday with Perpetually Late Friend. Did I mention that it was at my gym, not hers? So she volunteered us to go to my gym, and then showed up late, so we missed the warmup, and 2 days later I am still regretting that. I have the aforementioned feeling of being run over by a truck.

I'm not sure how I managed to do so much exercise in May, but June is killing me. Perhaps I really will go swim today, campers and all, because I can't imagine doing anything else when my upper back, lower back, calves, shoulders, and arms are tired. *sigh*

And thanks for the advice on the leg thing. I get confused when I hear the phrase 'straight back" when it involves something you do while lying on the ground. Does straight=touching the floor, like Angalin mentioned, or does it involve letting your spine have its natural curve? The former seems to help, but again, I would prefer not to fuck up my back doing questionable ab exercises when I could do more familiar ones instead.

From your descriptions, I don't think you have it in you to be massive, either. You sound a lot like my brothers, and one of them practically has a full-time job in getting and staying "massive". And compared to Stego, he'd still be runty/scrawny.

It's all fat and hot air, btw.

ETA: I ran 4 miles outdoors today. I have not run anywhere but a treadmill since my spinal reconstruction. It felt like a marathon to me. And I can't imagine someone running an actual one being any happier than I was.

I went home, took a shower, ate some fruit, drank some water, and went to the gym for quad day. (I'm currently lifting weights 6 days a week to just try my cousin's program.) I squatted myself to near death. It was glorious. Then I spent half an hour in the sauna.

A wonderful day, all in all. :D

If I don't take a hot shower after working out, I get extremely cold from the sweat. This is why I carry almost a full change of clothes with me when I bike, even if I'm just going to class. Evaporation is a cooling process.

Oh, and saunas are awesome. When I am old and rich I will have one in my home so I can go in every day. (And then take a shower so I don't freeze afterward.)

I'm about to die. I'm actually about to die. I just trained Judo then Jiujitsu for three and a half solid hours. That, on its own, would be tough but endurable. However, today coach decided that the second half of the class would be non-stop, continuous sparring. Over one and a half hours of non-stop sparring. No drills, no technical stuff, no breaks. So, like I said, I'm about to die.

Oh yeah, I also have some nice cauliflower ear developing. The damn thing feels like it's about to drop off.

Uhh, I always shower after a workout. I'm pretty sure we learn this in gym class. :D

How sad is it that I did not learn this in gym class? The middle school I went to had no locker room or showers. We did PE in our uniforms. Yes, in skirts. Sadly, this is the same school that taught me all about feminism; they just had an un-enlightened group of parents who would never amend the uniform to allow the wearing of pants or real gym clothes. Then in high school, the locker rooms had non-functioning showers. They must have been there just for decoration. I tried turning one on a few times, and the water pressure was so low that it just sort of...dribbled down the wall.

nip that shit in the bud, liff. whatever you're doing that causes cauliflower ear, stop doing it. it's such an ugly injury that is totally preventable, but hard (impossible?) to fix.

kudos on the workout though. I remember days like that. Afterwards all I wanted was Mexican food and about a dozen beers.

I thought after an intense workout you weren't supposed to go into a hot shower or anything like it. Never knew the logic behind any of that hot or cold stuff though.

Heat is the catalyst for inflammation and cold on the other hand reduces it. After a hard workout and lots of microdamaged tissue your muscles are more susceptible to inflammation. Cold reduces swelling and makes your body to redirect blood flow to the inner organs in order to save your life (dramatized), after you warm up again and the blood rushes in to the cold muscles helping to remove waste products like carbon dioxide and lactic acid from them.

I did my 20 minute treadmill thing today at 2:30 PST. I don't know if it was because I'm adapting to my current levels of speed or if it was due to me working out at 2:30p but it was a lot easier today. Usually I do my workouts in the morning a half hour after I wake up. Whichever one it is, I'm definitely going to bump up my pace level.

I did my 20 minute treadmill thing today at 2:30 PST. I don't know if it was because I'm adapting to my current levels of speed or if it was due to me working out at 2:30p but it was a lot easier today. Usually I do my workouts in the morning a half hour after I wake up. Whichever one it is, I'm definitely going to bump up my pace level.

After you wake up it takes about 3 hours for your nervous system to do the same. Hence training in the afternoon usually feels a lot better and easier.

Oh yeah, I also have some nice cauliflower ear developing. The damn thing feels like it's about to drop off.

Get thee to a doctor to have that bugger syringed and drained before it hardens.

Failing that, see if you can get the other side whacked around a bit and look like Graham...

Heat is the catalyst for inflammation and cold on the other hand reduces it. After a hard workout and lots of microdamaged tissue your muscles are more susceptible to inflammation. Cold reduces swelling and makes your body to redirect blood flow to the inner organs in order to save your life (dramatized), after you warm up again and the blood rushes in to the cold muscles helping to remove waste products like carbon dioxide and lactic acid from them.

Two words: ice bath.

I hate ice baths with a passion. But I've found that they do work, although there is some research now suggesting that they may not have the big effect everybody thinks they do.

When we were at the world cup, the physios made us go back and forth between the ice bath and the hot tub in our post-game recovery sessions.

Truely horrible. Singing loudly and forcing everyone to sing loudly with you is the only way to get through it

Is that shit permanent?

Once it solidifies, yeah. I'm going to go have it drained tomorrow. The thing is, I hate having to keep pressure on the ear after the drainage, especially since I'm still trying to train. In any case, I'm gonna get a new pair of ear-guards even if they do make me look like a gimp.

There was an ad in a fitness magazine about ten years ago with the following text over a man squatting:

My brother is getting married this Saturday!

Too bad it's on my leg day. I hope they have a good time.

I'll never forget it. Motivating as hell.

I did my superset workout today, meaning low weight, high reps, two exercises done one after the other. Rest one minute, rinse and repeat. I do three supersets, then move on to something else. Each SS lasting 7 to 9 minutes of elevated heart rate, into the cardio training zone.

I got through about 48 minutes of this before I started to feel lightheaded. I need to either eat more beforehand or bring a sports drink if I'm going to do it again.

Archived