Exercise & Fitness III

Greywolf2375

Speaking of bodyweight exercises...

Yesterday my friend dragged me to a cardio kickboxing class, which is something I hadn't done in a long time (3 years maybe?). It was pretty intense, and was ok with it until near the end, but then the instructor had us lie on our back and try to lift both legs up and down while they were straight. Back was just in neutral position. Can someone tell me if this is as bad for your lower back as I think it is? The instructor wasn't giving any special instructions, or if she was, they were inaudible over the music, and my back hurt on the first one, so I gave up and did something else instead.

My Pilates instructor said that if you were raising your feet off the floor unsupported that your back should be imprinted against the floor. seastarr would have the best answer for you, I expect.

Kick ass, Stego!

Of course, you're totally going to destroy me in the tricep face-off. I told my trainer that we had to step it up because I couldn't be humiliated! :P

That's it, I'm juicing.

My Pilates instructor said that if you were raising your feet off the floor unsupported that your back should be imprinted against the floor. seastarr would have the best answer for you, I expect.

Correct.

The answer is almost always 'You back should be straight.' regardless of what the question was.

Hey, what kind of training do you do to get your 400m time so low? I just started running sprints again lately and I remember how good they feel now, so I was thinking I might start doing more of my old track workouts and some new ones. On my sprint days right now I'm doing

5 Dashes

5 Sprints

5 Hill Sprints

and some assorted sprinting exercises

Hey, what kind of training do you do to get your 400m time so low?

Is this question for me? I'm assuming it is, with the risk of making a fool of myself. ;)

Back at the time when I set my personal record, my winter running workouts were quite simple and regular: Usually something like three sets of 8x60 m, with relatively short (2-3 minutes) breaks between each 60m in a single set, and about 15 minute breaks between sets. In the summer, my training was more varied. A few typical examples were 3x300 m with 20 minute breaks, 6x150 m with 10 minute breaks, or 60-80-100-120-150-120-100-80-60 with 8 minute breaks. In addition to this, of course, I did weightlifting and various plyometric exercises.

I never actually ran 400m or anything longer when training, because I was mainly focusing on shorter sprints. I just tried running 400 occasionally in competitions, and usually did surprisingly well. It is probably the distance I should have focused on, but I chickened out because it's such a terribly painful distance to run.

I just started running sprints again lately and I remember how good they feel now, so I was thinking I might start doing more of my old track workouts and some new ones. On my sprint days right now I'm doing

5 Dashes

5 Sprints

5 Hill Sprints

Good luck!

Are you training on your own, or with friends? I find it very hard to press myself to the max while sprinting (especially long sprints) without training partners.

At the moment I'm not doing any sprinting at all, but only weightlifting. I started training just a couple of months ago, after many years of inactivity (caused by injuries, illness, and too much work), and I've decided that there is no point in running before I have regained some of my old strength and explosiveness. If everything goes well, I'll start running again some time during the autumn.

Yeah it was for you, I just assumed you'd see it and figure it out.

I'm actually training on my own right now, and will probably continue to do so. Tbh none of my friends are interested in practicing with me, and honestly there is probably only one who could keep up with me but he is ridiculously busy all the time.

As for the lifting to regain strength before starting up again that is probably a good idea, I actually tried sprinting again yesterday but the upper part of my quad was still torn up from monday (even after extensive warmups), AND IT RAINED so I ended up just running stairs at the Art Museum (the one from the Rocky movies, it always gets me pumped). I am currently doing bodyweight squats in addition to the sprints but I think I may start doing weighted squats instead.

That's it, I'm juicing.

:lol:

:P

I am sore (in a good way) from yesterday's workout. Those squats were great in keeping me honest (and I can feel the result of that). Did my usual cardio, but varied the intensity (from brisk walk to brisk run) and % incline to stave off boredom and also make sure I wasn't overburdening my heart for long periods. I think I need to buy a heart monitor. Anyone have a model they particularly like? I also worked on my core, plus some lats and knee extensions and shoulder adduction.

Hey, what kind of training do you do to get your 400m time so low? I just started running sprints again lately and I remember how good they feel now, so I was thinking I might start doing more of my old track workouts and some new ones. On my sprint days right now I'm doing

5 Dashes

5 Sprints

5 Hill Sprints

Psssst.

If you want to gain weight, you have to lay off the cardio except as a warmup and go for broke with lifting. 2-3 times a week tops.

Psssst.

If you want to gain weight, you have to lay off the cardio except as a warmup and go for broke with lifting. 2-3 times a week tops.

Yeah, it's rough, but... if more muscle mass is what you want....

-Lift heavy

-Eat heavy (protein is key)

-drink water

-sleep a lot

-ease up on cardio. (Maybe a brisk 20 min walk on a treadmill at 15 degrees incline or something. That will get you going and reduce your muscle eating. :D )

Yeah but I don't want to sacrifice my speed. If I stop sprinting/running that is just what I will be doing. Plus, I basically cut out my long distance running and replaced it with sprinting, and I'm going to be doing weighted squats which I think is pretty reasonable. Plus I'm only doing the sprints twice a week.

Yeah but I don't want to sacrifice my speed. If I stop sprinting/running that is just what I will be doing. Plus, I basically cut out my long distance running and replaced it with sprinting, and I'm going to be doing weighted squats which I think is pretty reasonable. Plus I'm only doing the sprints twice a week.

Okay, this is the part where you take a good hard look at your goals and ask yourself what you're willing to do to get to them. How badly do you want to gain weight? So-so bad? Really bad? Doing something as drastic as changing your body shape and denying it its natural composition is tough. Don't let anyone fool you with the whole diet and exercise is easy schtick. It's not. It is a lifestyle change. You must change your approach to food, you must change your approach to exercise, and you must evaluate how far you are willing to go to reach your goal.

As I've said before my husband is a great deal like you in regards to body shape and type. The easiest thing for him to do is cardio, running specifically. Especially long distance running. He is lean and wiry and has barely any bodyfat. His muscles are already long and slim. When he wants to exercise the first thing that comes to his mind is running. And that is exactly what he is not supposed to do. He burns off too many calories from simply expending heat because of the aerobic exercise. You're going to do the same.

To gain muscle mass and increase weight, use cardio as a warmup and stick to lifting. Stego here will tell you the Olympic lifts are going to be best for you. I don't think you're going to tackle cleans but definitely squats and deadlifts will do you good. Keep going with the pullups and dips. Look for exercises that will work big muscle groups, like rows. Back up the lifting with eating clean protein.

The second part of your weight gain is going to be body fat. That's why you need to eat full fat dairy, whole eggs, and other natural fats such as ones found in nuts and legumes.

I know it's hard, especially on a limited budget. I don't think anyone's going to come down hard on you if you decide you're not ready to commit to a huge change. But it's never too early to evaluate what you're putting in your mouth and wonder how sustainable a lifestyle that's going to be. At 30? You'll be fine. At 40 you'll likely be fine as well. 50? 60? 70?

I am sore (in a good way) from yesterday's workout. Those squats were great in keeping me honest (and I can feel the result of that). Did my usual cardio, but varied the intensity (from brisk walk to brisk run) and % incline to stave off boredom and also make sure I wasn't overburdening my heart for long periods. I think I need to buy a heart monitor. Anyone have a model they particularly like? I also worked on my core, plus some lats and knee extensions and shoulder adduction.

I've got the Polar RS400. It comes with Polar Pro Trainer software so you can download all your training files from the watch into your computer via infrared. Also means you can create a training programme on your computer and send it to your watch/monitor

Got all the other usual bells and whistles: training zones blah blah. If you're working on treadmills, x-trainers, bikes etc, they will pick up your chest-strap so you can read it off the machine.

I find it particularly good for rowing workouts, where I sometimes find it difficult to know how hard I'm working using just rate of perceived exertion. RPE's fine for running cos it's pretty accurate, but I always find I think I'm working harder than I am on rowers and bikes

It's also got a cool big red button. I have no idea why that tickles me so much :)

Not sure about the other brands as Polar's the only brand I've used. My only complaint is that the strap is unique to them, so if it breaks, you have to send your watch away to get fixed, although they're pretty quick in getting it back to you

Okay, this is the part where you take a good hard look at your goals and ask yourself what you're willing to do to get to them. How badly do you want to gain weight? So-so bad? Really bad? Doing something as drastic as changing your body shape and denying it its natural composition is tough. Don't let anyone fool you with the whole diet and exercise is easy schtick. It's not. It is a lifestyle change. You must change your approach to food, you must change your approach to exercise, and you must evaluate how far you are willing to go to reach your goal.

This. Sticky this or something.

Yeah it was for you, I just assumed you'd see it and figure it out.

I'm actually training on my own right now, and will probably continue to do so. Tbh none of my friends are interested in practicing with me, and honestly there is probably only one who could keep up with me but he is ridiculously busy all the time.

There is no track and field club or something close to where you live?

As for the lifting to regain strength before starting up again that is probably a good idea,

To me, it's not just a good idea, but a necessity. My sprinting technique just doesn't work without some explosive strength.

I actually tried sprinting again yesterday but the upper part of my quad was still torn up from monday (even after extensive warmups), AND IT RAINED so I ended up just running stairs at the Art Museum (the one from the Rocky movies, it always gets me pumped). I am currently doing bodyweight squats in addition to the sprints but I think I may start doing weighted squats instead.

I think you should: Bodyweight squats are likely to make you slower rather than faster, I'm afraid.

I don't think you're going to tackle cleans but definitely squats and deadlifts will do you good.

The rest of your advice looks very good, but why no cleans? I don't see any reason why people with your husband's body type shouldn't do power cleans (or squat cleans, except that those are harder to learn). I have the same body type (180 cm, 73 kg, almost no body fat, thin bones), and power cleans are my favorite weightlifting exercise. As another example of a similar body type, consider the legendary British triple jumper Jonathan Edwards, who was 183 cm (almost like me), 72 kg (almost like me) and allegedly power cleaned an amazing 150 kg (once again almost like ... um ... well ... no, not really). ;)

I think the power clean is a good exercise for everyone. It is also great fun. It's surprising that it is not more popular.

OK so I made it thru a week working out again. I did skip the cardio/ellpitical yesterday though because my LB workout on Wednesday was so intense and my quads are STILL sore. I upped the weight on my leg press and squats this week and I can really feel it. Plus after my workout on wed I went and walked around Sea World for a couple of hours..

Today I upped the weight on most of my UB exercises and I know I'm going to be sore tomorrow. But hey, it's all good!

The rest of your advice looks very good, but why no cleans? I don't see any reason why people with your husband's body type shouldn't do power cleans (or squat cleans, except that those are harder to learn). I have the same body type (180 cm, 73 kg, almost no body fat, thin bones), and power cleans are my favorite weightlifting exercise. As another example of a similar body type, consider the legendary British triple jumper Jonathan Edwards, who was 183 cm (almost like me), 72 kg (almost like me) and allegedly power cleaned an amazing 150 kg (once again almost like ... um ... well ... no, not really). ;)

I think the power clean is a good exercise for everyone. It is also great fun. It's surprising that it is not more popular.

I think as beginning exercises go, the squad and deadlift would be less technically challenging than a good clean. I don't think Cap has a trainer to spot for him and make sure his form is good. For example, I'd feel comfortable helping someone with form on a squat, but I've never learned deadlifts and I don't want to get anywhere near someone who's not doing a proper clean.

OK so I made it thru a week working out again. I did skip the cardio/ellpitical yesterday though because my LB workout on Wednesday was so intense and my quads are STILL sore. I upped the weight on my leg press and squats this week and I can really feel it. Plus after my workout on wed I went and walked around Sea World for a couple of hours..

Today I upped the weight on most of my UB exercises and I know I'm going to be sore tomorrow. But hey, it's all good!

Nice man! You just gotta love that feeling of accomplishment eh?

@Vethnar: My school has a 'running club,' but all they do is long distance runs. I also know of two other running clubs, but again they are long distance.

How would bodyweight squats make someone slower?

In reference to the cleans, I used to do those a lot actually. The only problem was that I was doing them completely wrong, lol. When I look back on it now I am actually very surprised, and very happy, that I didn't ever hurt myself. I suppose you could call that lucky.

And finally, when it comes to running and the whole weight gain/weight loss thing. I DO want to get bigger, but I don't want to become massive, which I don't think I could anyway. Right now I feel that I am already making a significant change by cutting out long distance activities (running and the occasional swim) and replacing it with sprints and upper body exercises. Obviously I am still evolving my training program as it is still in the beginning stages but I believe soon enough I will find a plan that fits what I want and what I need.

Also as a side note, I actually gained 10 lbs during my senior cross country season. Whenever I tell people that I always get the same reaction...wait, what? That isn't how it works...

This. Sticky this or something.

screw sticky - say that each morning when you wake up about whatever your goals are in any portion of your life. It helps.

Not sure what the trainer has in store for today...in the cycle of how we're doing things, I think it is only legs and shoulders left...

Kinda hoping for legs. he's been kicking my butt so far, can't wait to see what he does for the pegs.

Archived