Exercise & Fitness III

Greywolf2375

nah, everyone digests and metabolizes calories exactly the same, because a calorie is a calorie, and a person is a person and individual differences are non existent.

We could delve deep into matters of nutrition, metabolism, individual differences and the king of fat: insulin. But in the end I would still stand by my statement.

A few things of note, capoeirista - it's good that you're eating breakfast. Breakfast is the absolute most important meal of the day and I cry on the inside when friends and students tell me they don't eat it. Aside from that, really look into getting good nutrition. Eat lean meats, fruits and vegetables, dairy, complex carbs. Make the calories you put into your body clean and make sure your body can get the absolute most out of everything you eat. Candy bars are a waste because your body doesn't use a lot of those calories, but a cup of yogurt, even full-fat, will be used better.

Here is a small list of foods that are really freakin' good for your body. Everyone in this thread is already familiar with these, so pardon me for repeating it. After you read this post you should head over to the healthy eating thread where we can discuss your dietary needs without derailing the exercise thread.

- Oatmeal

- Chicken breast

- Sweet potatoes

- Broccoli

- Spinach, kale, other dark, leafy greens

- Yogurt

- Blueberries

- Quinoa

Also, find out what body type that fits your description the most. If it's possible, let us know what exercises and foods your body responds the best to. You may not be able to answer the second part of that because it takes a lot of experimentation to get to a point where you're fully aware of what your body and mind are capable of (it took me at least 6 months to realize that weight training is best for me, and then the better part of a year to discover what foods my body loves the most).

nah, everyone digests and metabolizes calories exactly the same, because a calorie is a calorie, and a person is a person and individual differences are non existent.

And to believe press releases about the stars, particularly back in those days, is quite naive. He probably had a drug problem that kept him light.

I have no idea who this guy is who you are all talking about, but I do remember seeing a news report years ago about this dude who was like 100lbs at 20 years old and he drank like 8 protein shakes a day in addition to his regular meals and he couldn't gain weight because of some medical condition.

I have no idea who this guy is who you are all talking about, but I do remember seeing a news report years ago about this dude who was like 100lbs at 20 years old and he drank like 8 protein shakes a day in addition to his regular meals and he couldn't gain weight because of some medical condition.

Not to nitpick too much but 8 protein shakes is only like 1200 calories extra.

I really believe that there are some people who have an extremely difficult time putting weight on. I don't understand all of the mechanisms at work but it's a lot more complicated than physics. I had a friend in high school wanted to put on weight more than anything. He was super skinny and he seemed to understand that he absolutely had to eat a very high calorie count. He ate all the freaking time. Every time I was around him he was eating and everyone knew his goals so they would always encourage him and remind him. People would always say that he had the best problem ever: that he needed to eat way more and not way less.

He eventually was able to put weight on near the end of college but I think it was simply that his metabolism had finally slowed down. I don't know how much he was eating back in high school but it had to be around 4,500 calories a day at the very least. It could have easily been a lot more than that.

Again 4,500 calories isn't really that much. I ate that easily before I started cutting.

ETA: If he wasn't gaining weight on 4,500 he should have upped it to 5 or 6 or 7k a day. Simple.

I get what you're saying but it's all relative. To some people 4,500 would have them diabetic and miserable in a few months. To this guy (and I suspect he was eating more like 6,000) it was nothing. I'm just trying to point out that metabolism can be a bit of a phenomenon for some people.

Oh yeh no doubt but what I'm saying is that if he kept on eating more and more he would have gained weight.

do you still swim? I miss swimming, but public pool here are so overly chlorinated that you smell like bleach all day. and I hate that--its nasty-- so I don't do it anymore. Recently I was able to go swimming in a pool that had a salt water filtration system, and it was SO great! the water was clean, but didn't seem really salty and no chlorine was used. I wish I had a pool like that!

I sympathize, although my problem is that after years of coached workouts, I get bored when I try to swim on my own now.

I also got spoiled by the pool I went to as a kid. I have to tell this story, because it's ridiculous. There is this highly exclusive sports club in SF that used to be only open to men. When I was about 8, they got sued by the city for discrimination because the club rented some city land for part of its golf course. As part of the settlement, they were forced to admit women, and decided to allow kids as well. My mother knew the city attorney who was in charge of the lawsuit and found out that the new membership fee for children was only $12/month, compared to...I don't know, something very expensive for adults, hundreds of dollars I'm guessing. My mother (who had always been into swimming, she used to be a synchronized swimmer in college) had seen pictures of the pool, which is gorgeous. So two of my friends and I signed up and joined the swim team. It was a really weird experience, because almost everyone else at the club was a rich man. There weren't very many junior members, and we weren't allowed to enter through the main lobby--we had to go in through the service entrance, which I guess was a small price to pay. :lol: Anyway, this is the pool. Obviously now that I'm an adult I can no longer afford to be a member, nor would I really want to be one, but it was a nice thing while it lasted. It was also kind of strange swimming there sometimes because the pool was not 25 or 50m--it was 100 ft. The only time I ever found out what my times were like on events was when I'd actually go to a meet, which wasn't very often, because there were only about 12 people on the junior swim team, and I was never very good anyway. :dunno:

Zomg, that's a nice pool. Kat. Great story, too.

I was spoilt too as a kid - we had an outdoor pool in our town 75m long. Sadly, demolished in the eighties and no pics seem to be on the web, but it was fabulous.Ok, it was northsea water and damn cold, but 75 by 40 m? awesome. It feels very strange now to be trudging through my miles in a 10m pool..

BJT : I hear you on chlorinated pools. Hate em. But I do love to swim..so what can you do? in the uk at least. Our pool here in France is normally salt, and it's great - for swimming, for the skin, everything. My neighbour is looking after it while dad is in hopsital though and it's chlorine, and I hate it.

Alas, this is making me want to go swimming, but on weekdays now the pool at the Y is full of campers. *sigh* Perhaps I will go at night, like at 9pm or something. I can't imagine many kidlets will be there at that time.

ETA: I'm probably the only person in the world, but I prefer chlorinated to saltwater pools. Getting an accidental mouthful of chlorine does not make me retch for 5 minutes the way that salt does. :|

I just saw my ass for the first time while on the treadmill at the mini-gym. I am heartbroken.

My ass is fucking huge.

It's not just my ass. My calves are like little ham shanks now. I have beef roast love handles. I am so incredibly depressed by this. I'm carrying the kid out in front, so when you look at me from the front and side I look pregnant. From the back, I look like a fat chick.

I am going to the gym every fucking day for the rest of my life. The incline on the treadmill is broken though. Fuck.

Did the Cactus to Clouds hike from Palm Springs, elevation 450 feet, to Mt. San Jacinto Peak, elevation 10,834 feet. About 22 miles with 10,700 feet elevation gain. Took 12 hours total, which includes a lunch break and a rest at the peak. Made good time, and I can tell I'm getting stronger from month to month. The hike was very interesting in that you pass through several distinct climate zones. You start in the desert with cacti and other desert plants, head up into some shrubbery at around 4000 feet, then pass into stunted oaks at maybe 6000 feet. At around 8000 feet, you enter a Jeffrey Pine forest and at about 10,000 feet you are in an alpine zone. When I reached the peak, I was looking down at a layer of clouds at about 9000 to 10,000 feet elevation, so it was literally a cactus to clouds hike. Some pics here.

Definitely ready for Mt. Whitney in early July. Whitney should actually be easier than Cactus to Clouds, assuming I don't have a problem with altitude sickness.

I want to do Shorty's Well to Telescope Peak and the Grand Canyon rim to rim by the end of the year.

For those that like using the incline on treadmills, if you have any nearby mountains, you can climb them for a similar type workout. Large hills will also work, but will probably be less interesting. Don't know what the weather is like in your areas too, but that can make things miserable. But to give you an idea of the workout you can get from hiking up mountains, the average grade for the 16.5 miles climbing portion of the Cactus to Clouds hike is about 12%. The steepest hike I've done was Iron Mt, which had an average grade of 19% over the 7 mile climb portion, which was pretty brutal.

Yeah, I live in Atlanta, it's getting into the 90s here now and there is no way I am stepping foot outside to do anything but go to my car, go from my car to the place I need to be, go to the workout room, or go to the pool. Especially seeing as heat makes me extra super duper cranky. I can be overworked and be pleasant, I can be running on no sleep for the last 48 hours and be functional, but get me into a hot and humid place and my temper quickly goes from a few miles long to about half a millimeter long. Add that to pregnancy and there is no fucking way I'm going hiking in the summer. Thanks for the suggestion though.

The only solution is to fix the incline so I can walk at 15% gradient again.

Edit: Have I mentioned the mosquitos fucking love me? Send me outside and I will attract every mosquito for miles around.

Ah, bummer. I did the Iron Mt. hike in 90+ degree weather, and it was by far the most miserable hike I've ever been on. I drank 6 liters of water and sweated it all out. Salt from my dried sweat was crusted on my face and clothes. Besides the heat, there were constant swarms of gnats that were getting in my mouth and nose, and flies biting my arms. After that experience, I've used insect repellent. Also started consuming salty foods before and during the hike. Even though it was so miserable, at least I learned a lot from it.

Planning to do this assuming my calf holds up....

It'll be my first half marathon on a trail, so it should be interesting. I'm told the elevation gain is all in the first 8 miles. :eek:

At least it'll be shady.

Should be a great challenge. I'm thinking about training for a mountain race. The craziest marathon that I've read about is the Pikes Peak Marathon in Colorado. From the website:

Elevation gain (start to summit) is 7,815' (2,382 meters); the start is at 6,300' (1,920m) and the summit is 14,115' (4,302m). The Ascent finish/Marathon turnaround is at approximately 14,050'. The Ascent (and ascent leg of the Marathon) has very few stretches which are not going uphill with the average percent grade being 11%.

You have to deal with massive elevation gain plus the altitude. I'm not sure if I'll ever be in good enough shape to do this, but I might try one of my local mountain races that are much, much easier.

Archived