Exercise & Fitness III

Greywolf2375

yeah thats what everyone says, I already upped my calories by eating breakfast every day, something I didn't used to do, and still no change. Plus I'm snacking between meals now too and still no weight increase at all.

Really, I'm just trying to get Stegs off my back about doing weights. I can't begin to imagine more muscle there.

I'm tellin you, Muddy, it's either fat or you are a mutant. You do not have big arms from swimming. :P

yeah thats what everyone says, I already upped my calories by eating breakfast every day, something I didn't used to do, and still no change. Plus I'm snacking between meals now too and still no weight increase at all.

Eat 6 meals a day. Shovel protein. Do deadlifts, bench press, squats, and pullups. Sleep 10 hours a day. Wake up and eat six meals. Keep lifting. Drink a lot of water, eat a lot of meat. You will bulk up like it's cool.

Swordfish,

You're a former pole vaulter? That's truly awesome!

:bow:

How long ago did you quit, and what sport(s) are you doing now?

I haven't had the opportunity since college. So it's been a few years. Very fun sport though. And gets you out of a lot of running, at least in high school. Gotta work on your tan.... uh... I mean 'form' sometime you know. Not my fault it was usually on interval day!

Now I'm mostly distance running, cycling and kayaking with some ultimate thrown in for good measure whenever I have the time. Flag football league in the winter....

And golf, but that's not really a sport. ;-)

pff, I can't get any of my muscles big, no matter how hard I work them

Jimmy Stewart had the same problem. He arrived in Hollywood 6' 3.5" and 120lbs soaking wet. They put him on a 4000 calorie a day diet and a weight training regime with a private trainer. He did not gain weight after three months of exercise and the diet, he didn't lose any either though.

Jimmy Stewart had the same problem. He arrived in Hollywood 6' 3.5" and 120lbs soaking wet. They put him on a 4000 calorie a day diet and a weight training regime with a private trainer. He did not gain weight after three months of exercise and the diet, he didn't lose any either though.

I'd like to see the training and nutritional program they used. Let it be made clear that there's no healthy person in the world who doesn't gain weight by eating.

Sure, believable story. :D

Then your still not eating enough.

Heh. To be frank, I have no idea which it is.

<snip>

off my back about doing weights. I can't begin to imagine more muscle there.

Yeah, I hear ya. Just ignore anyone giving you a hard time. There is so many ways to exercise--the important thing I suppose is just doing some! Whatever works for you is good. :thumbsup:

do you still swim? I miss swimming, but public pool here are so overly chlorinated that you smell like bleach all day. and I hate that--its nasty-- so I don't do it anymore. Recently I was able to go swimming in a pool that had a salt water filtration system, and it was SO great! the water was clean, but didn't seem really salty and no chlorine was used. I wish I had a pool like that!

Then your still not eating enough.

Yeah you're probably right. But I'm a small guy, my whole family is pretty much small. The problem is that I'm never hungry. But nevertheless, I consistently eat breakfast now, as well as lunch and dinner. I've also been trying to find snacks that are healthy and non-filling so I could eat a lot (right now that means nutrigrain bars and peanuts mostly) between meals. I'm not really hungry at lunch or between meals but I'm eating anyway b/c I heard if you eat eat eat you will eventually start becoming hungry at those times. This appears to be true, as I am getting hungry at breakfast now.

Yeah you're probably right. But I'm a small guy, my whole family is pretty much small. The problem is that I'm never hungry. But nevertheless, I consistently eat breakfast now, as well as lunch and dinner. I've also been trying to find snacks that are healthy and non-filling so I could eat a lot (right now that means nutrigrain bars and peanuts mostly) between meals. I'm not really hungry at lunch or between meals but I'm eating anyway b/c I heard if you eat eat eat you will eventually start becoming hungry at those times. This appears to be true, as I am getting hungry at breakfast now.

Do you know how many calories you're taking in at the moment?

nutrigrain bars

Might as well be Mars bars. All of those so called "health" bars are loaded with sugar.

Instead of eating three meals a day and snacking in between, try eating six smaller meals a day. Even if you don't feel hungry, choke it down.

Might as well be Mars bars. All of those so called "health" bars are loaded with sugar.

Instead of eating three meals a day and snacking in between, try eating six smaller meals a day. Even if you don't feel hungry, choke it down.

Personal preference...I always call them "Snickers" instead. :) It really is rather scary what is getting passed off as health food or good for ya.

Cap - one thing my wife and I run into a lot more than we expected is people eating more than they had been, but still not eating enough, correctly. Goal isn't to always be stuffed, but - similar to when you feel thirsty you are actually a little dehydrated - when you are hungry, you're running on empty. Do what the cows do...graze all day long

Sure, believable story. :D

iirc it was a gallon of whole milk a day sort of bulking diet and the workouts were old fashioned iron workouts, bench, squat, deadlift. the studio wanted him to bulk up a bit because they didn't think he was masculine enough, too skinny.

When Stewart joined the military in 1940, he drank and drank and drank water and then didn't urinate until after he'd passed the weight test, because he'd have been underweight for the physica otherwise, this is four years after coming to the studio, but about three years after they gave up trying to bulk him up

as for the laws of physic metabolism to burn the amount of calories taken it so it maintains its own set point?

nah, everyone digests and metabolizes calories exactly the same, because a calorie is a calorie, and a person is a person and individual differences are non existent.

Archived