The Healthy Weight and Eating Thread

Xray the Enforcer

Down another 2 pounds this week. I am very pleased that the progress has been so steady.

Went to the carnival last night. Had a HUGE pit beef sandwich. I couldn't believe how much meat was on it. Also had 2 fresh squeezed lemonades. I am sure they were loaded with sugar, but damn, it was so good and I haven't had fresh lemonade since I was pregnant. all in all, it wasn't that bad for a carnival (funnel cakes, caramel popcorn and cotton candy were all tempting me)

Roasting beets right now, and have the beet greens washed and ready for cooking with the curried chickpeas I'm making for lunches for this week. Farmers market yielded serious results with awesome fresh mixed green salad, vitamin greens, Russian kale, fresh beets, smoked eel (went on a salad with the mixed greens and a poached egg last night), fresh eggs, and organic yogurt (in the awesome reusable glass containers). Dinner for the first part of the week will be de Puy lentils with spiced sausage and the Russian kale on the side. Shell peas are also on offer, but since I'm the only one in the house who likes them, it just doesn't seem worth the effort. I'll save that for when the fresh shell beans arrive.

I'll avoid mass-market (Hershey's) chocolate, unless I'm just in need of a fix. Much like a heroin user going after a lower grade of stuff if that's all that is available. .

:lol: Funny story: I was a sugar addict, now doubt, and I loved Hershey's chocolate, hated the darker bitter stuff. Hubby forgot to get my anti-depressents filled and I was crashing big time the other night so I asked him to pick me up a bar of chocolate. He brought home one of those BIG Hershey bars. I had one little rectangle of it, and it was just gross. I couldn't believe it (and it made me cry more that the chocolate was bad).

:lol: So glad I am getting control of the cravings and the taste buds are helping me out a great deal.

I decided last night that my son needs to learn healthy eating habits. We do ok, but his father has no idea what a serving is. He loads the kid up on rice and such. I told them both that he will have to eat fresh veggies regularly and his starches will be measured.

Under protest, he did eat the salad I made him and he offered carrots and green beans as veggies he likes, apples and bananas a the fruits he likes.

Hubby just gives him these huge servings, and then expects him to eat larger than adult sized portions (larger than my portions). I figure this is the way to overeating as he gets older. Don't misunderstand. I will not let my kid go hungry, but I want him to fill up on healthier choices. If he is still hungry, give him more veggies or a yogurt or fruit.

That's the other thing I have had to change: He buys the applesauce with added sugar AND HFCS. Applesauce has no need of that, so I made him switch to the no sugar added brands. The yogurt is the same, but I am taking that change a little slower.

Lany:

The skunklings like to eat lettuce for salad that they've picked from the garden. We also give them veggies and "sauce" (salad dressing) we put some raw veggies on their plates and a little bowl of salad dressing in between them. They can dip their veggies in the sauce. They like to eat their veggies that way.

Another great thing about summer is that is it pea season here. We have the super-sweet sugar peas. They love love love them! Ser Stripe brought home a pound and a half the other day and they were gone in two days.

Lany:

The skunklings like to eat lettuce for salad that they've picked from the garden. We also give them veggies and "sauce" (salad dressing) we put some raw veggies on their plates and a little bowl of salad dressing in between them. They can dip their veggies in the sauce. They like to eat their veggies that way.

Another great thing about summer is that is it pea season here. We have the super-sweet sugar peas. They love love love them! Ser Stripe brought home a pound and a half the other day and they were gone in two days.

Brat likes to dip his carrots and lettuce in ranch dressing and we usually give him a little bowl of it. I just am trying to expand his options some and limit the starches. Kid would eat nothing but cereal and crackers if we let him. (and pancakes)

I just discovered the Emerald brand Cocao Roast Almonds ... what a snack! A little dark chocolate flavor to complement the nuts, without the need for all the salt.

150 calories

1g saturated fat

0 transfat

25mg sodium (some salted varieties had 150+)

6g carbs (1g sugar, 3g fiber)

6g protein

Calcium, Iron, Vit E

I'm now solidly in my "ideal weight" range, having dropped 17 pounds since March or maybe February, with 1.5 pounds to go before hitting goal.

Nice man, I've been eating mixed nuts lately but they are salted and they make me incredibly thirsty, but without the salt they are just not nearly as delicious. Maybe I'll check out some cocao ones.

Congrats on being at your ideal weight too, I've got to go up 14 lbs to reach mine. 1 lb down, 14 to go, lol.

That and the "clean plate club" is the path to overeating and then obesity; you're right.

the members of my family that are members of the clean plate club, are all fat. The family that didn't require their kids to eat everything on their plate (and load up the plate) is not fat.

another potential sneaky way to compromise is to use 8 inch plates. it's a scientific fact that if you eat a meal that is exactly the same size from an 8 inch plate you will be more full than if you ate exactly the same quantity from a 10inch+ plate.

Your eyes do a lot of your eating for you, and they perceive in terms of how full a plate is to determine what is enough food at a meal. thus food that would completely fill an 8 inch plate to overflowing may only fill 66% of a 10 inch plate, so you're inclined to still be hungry and eat more if your plate is not full in the first place, even though that food should fill you up, and would if it was from a full 8 inch plate, it will not fill you up according to your mischievous and annoying brain off in its own foolish world. ;)

I just discovered the Emerald brand Cocao Roast Almonds ... what a snack! A little dark chocolate flavor to complement the nuts, without the need for all the salt.

150 calories

1g saturated fat

0 transfat

25mg sodium (some salted varieties had 150+)

6g carbs (1g sugar, 3g fiber)

6g protein

Calcium, Iron, Vit E

I'm now solidly in my "ideal weight" range, having dropped 17 pounds since March or maybe February, with 1.5 pounds to go before hitting goal.

I second this. I picked some of these up myself about a week ago. They're awesome.

What are the thoughts on a protein shake when you aren't working out? Like just to add calories in the morning or at night.

For me, protein shakes are a fine source of calories and nutrients. They're not optimal, but I track them the same way I track anything else, so they add to my daily intake just fine.

They are a great way of topping up if I haven't met my protein goals for the day, for example.

I found a pair of nearly new black jeans in my closet, size 16 (relaxed fit). Since it is rather cold today I figured I'd see if I could wear them. They are a little tight in the waist, but fit everywhere else.

So many people have come up to me today and asked if I have been losing weight. They really do makethe tummy look smaller (and it is of course).

All the help and encouragment from these threads has really made a difference and I am feeling very good about it. So thanks to all of you. :grouphug:

Archived