The Healthy Weight and Eating Thread

Xray the Enforcer

Some people just cannot stop loving through food. My mom is this way. Whenever she comes to visit, she must bring me baked goods. She's visiting right now. I am allergic to gluten and dairy, so she has begun to make me gluten free dairy free baked goods.

WTF? What is the point of a baked good without gluten and dairy? They taste like crap, and have no nutritional redemption whatsoever.

When I try to explain this to my mom, she gets extremely hurt, and gives me a lecture about her spiritual relationship to baking (I'm not kidding). So when I reject her baked goods, she thinks I'm rejecting her love.

I bring this up because of Stego's comment about the chocolate. It's sad when people mix up love and (nutritionally vacant) food.

Alright alright...I'm back in. I've definitely noticed an increase in my weight, and I want it GONE. Granted, it's slight, but it bothers me a ton. My boyfriend of course swears up and down that I don't need to lose a single pound...but he's a bit biased. It's starting to really affect how I feel about myself, and how hard can it be to just use a bit of self control? (I like working out, it's the not-pigging-out part I can't get a hold of).

So. I downloaded a calorie tracker for my BlackBerry, started drinking MGD64 (it's not so bad...) and trying to not have any snacking food in the house so that I only eat at mealtimes. Except for apples that I keep for snacking.

Even so, I'm not sure I'm actually eating any less. I just love food so much! We made spaghetti and garlic bread the other day and...mmm...how can I only have one piece of bread?

So I'm gonna start following this thread, start working out again (as soon as all my workout clothes get unpacked, I just moved a few days ago), and try to eat healthy...

If someone gave me food that was too healthy as a gift, I would stop being their friend. :P That says to me, "I think you have no self-control, so I will make your decisions for you. Have some wheatgrass."

Today is BAD news all around. There was all sorts of computer crashing at work today and at first it looked like it was entirely my fault (and naturally running through all the 'oh shit I'm so fired' scenarios). Thankfully it turned out to be a series of problems on top of problems ultimately involving a ninja drive that had failed and gone corrupt but was disguising itself from all attempts to isolate it. That and a bad raid card and oh all kinds of other nastiness. seven hours of stressful trouble shooting later I had eaten:

little debbie swiss cake rolls

little debbie nutty bars

bagel slathered in cream cheese

countless snack size candy bars

whoppers

chocolate covered almonds

chocolate covered espresso beans

a subway sandwich with everything

a banana

an apple

other stuff I can't (or don't want to) remember. Talk about your stress eating, curses upon work for providing so much free junk food (the fruit was my own). :(

otoh, binging is more likely to result in pooping and peeing it out than storing it all as fat, so I'm hoping my body will take one look at all those extra calories and just flush it away since it is a lot more than it is used to. :-p

otoh, binging is more likely to result in pooping and peeing it out than storing it all as fat, so I'm hoping my body will take one look at all those extra calories and just flush it away since it is a lot more than it is used to. :-p

The few times I have broken down and got a sausage mcmuffin for breakfast I barely made it to work before the body took care of it. I've noticed if I eat a high fat food, this happens in less than an hour. Glad my body has more control than I do.

I wanted to tell you all about the kids at my son's birthday party. I had a small fruit platter and a small veggie platter and 4 bowls of different kinds of chips.

These kids ate all the fruit (apple slices (two bags), grapes, two different melons and pineapple) and nearly all the veggies (grape tomatoes, broccoli, celery, carrots and I am forgetting something that was eaten) and very little of the chips. I was so impressed. I couldn't believe they even at the broccoli (raw). The oldest was 8, the youngest 4 (ok, all were 8 except Alex and the 4 yr old)

My son was influenced by their choices as well. It was a good party and I am proud of all the kids.

I wanted to tell you all about the kids at my son's birthday party. I had a small fruit platter and a small veggie platter and 4 bowls of different kinds of chips.

These kids ate all the fruit (apple slices (two bags), grapes, two different melons and pineapple) and nearly all the veggies (grape tomatoes, broccoli, celery, carrots and I am forgetting something that was eaten) and very little of the chips. I was so impressed. I couldn't believe they even at the broccoli (raw). The oldest was 8, the youngest 4 (ok, all were 8 except Alex and the 4 yr old)

My son was influenced by their choices as well. It was a good party and I am proud of all the kids.

You know its weird, little kids have this reputation for being really picky eaters who specifically don't like healthy foods. But when I was a little kid I frickin loved veggie platters as long as they had the good tasting veggies (carrots, peppers, and oddly enough broccoli stems in my case) and some tasty dressings. If there was no dressing I would eat them but only if there wasn't any other option. And I always liked how fruit tasted, but I didn't like how they would get my hands all sticky so I avoided fruit a lot, lol.

My ex girlfriend had a young son who was an amazingly good eater. He liked veggies and always ate whatever veggies he was given at dinner without needing to be coaxed. Good little guy.

I am getting to the point where I kind of crave veggies. I still need to find some more variety as far as the way I prepare them but I just don't feel healthy without them now.

The only ways I usually eat veggies now:

1) salads

2) veggie sticks with hummus (usually cucumber, celery, carrots, red peppers)

3) leafy greens sauteed in olive oil

4) steamed broccoli

Anyone else have any obvious veggie options?

Most of you probably won't approve of this, but cooking them in a garlic lemon butter sauce is DELICIOUS, also I second the choice of hummus, red pepper hummus is really good if it is made well

The few times I have broken down and got a sausage mcmuffin for breakfast I barely made it to work before the body took care of it. I've noticed if I eat a high fat food, this happens in less than an hour. Glad my body has more control than I do.

Lany - this may be your wonky gallbladder at work.

Between heat and "flu-like illness", I don't actually want to eat anything heavy or that doesn't involve large quantities of liquid. :)

I did pretty good today, I think I ended up ~1500 which is actually a little low for me (being so tall, my basic caloric whatevers is higher), but not too low so yay! The only problem being my boyfriend insisted we buy ice cream...and cookie dough...and chocolate chips...so we could make our own sundaes. :( I had a talk with him the other day about not being so disparaging of my efforts to eat healthy (when he makes fun of me for having a salad it really makes me want some chips!) and he's been a little better...but we'll see.

Limit the apples. They have a ton of calories for very little "bam". Apples and grapes are very sugary (and caloric). Strawberries and blueberries are a better choice.

Fitlinxx tells me that I have burned off 62 apples (5,023 calories!) doing cardio this month, at 6 hours, 36 minutes to do all this calorie burning. If they're counting in apples, that means calories are in apples. I've also lifted 6 elephants (48, 486 pounds!), and elephants are pretty heavy things :)

A medium apple only has about 70 calories and they have enough fiber that it really helps you feel full. I don't eat more than one a day, and I've heard it's bad to eat them at night because of the sugar, but one in the afternoon between lunch and dinner really helps! And geez, congrats on all the elephants ;)

One or two apples won't derail you, that's for sure. It's people who think they can unlimited-ly snack on apples who are dangerous to themselves. They wonder "why can't I lose weight" and they have no idea what they are eating.

I suppose I had better start eating more apples then.

Capoerista, why don't you just drench everything in olive oil? it's seriously healthy and at 800 cals per 100gm it's got to be the most fattening thing out there..

Triskele - we steam a lot of veg - carrots, spinach, broccoli, parsnips. It can be seriously tasty if you throw a tonne of herbs on it too, and oversteam them slightly to bring the flavour out. Honestly, I accidentally over-steamed to the point of mushiness a couple of times and they were absolutely delicious that way. Roasting with a mall glug of olive oil on them is a really tasty way to do veg too, that is not unhealthy as long as you don't smother in oil and don't do it every day. I hear ya on the veggie cravings though - I am NOT happy without some form of salad every day now.

Since I started keeping track 8 weeks ago, I am down 18 inches total. Three from each of the hips, ribs and breast (which I am hoping is mostly back fat), two from the stomach and the rest spread out. (one on each arm and 3/4 off the neck)

I am very pleased with this. Hopefully it will continue.

Capoerista, why don't you just drench everything in olive oil? it's seriously healthy and at 800 cals per 100gm it's got to be the most fattening thing out there..

thats how I cook my chicken mostly, I just put enough oil is a pan to coat it and then heat it up and throw in some chicken with some spices, its pretty damn tasty imo

Since I started keeping track 8 weeks ago, I am down 18 inches total. Three from each of the hips, ribs and breast (which I am hoping is mostly back fat), two from the stomach and the rest spread out. (one on each arm and 3/4 off the neck)

I am very pleased with this. Hopefully it will continue.

That's awesome! :cheers: Keep it up! :) Losing inches >> losing weight.

That's awesome! :cheers: Keep it up! :) Losing inches >> losing weight.

Thanks. I am also down 26 pounds, so that has been good too. Just 10 more before August, 30 more by the end of the year and 40 more before I have to figure out how to stop losing and not gain any more.

My goal is to be a size 12 (and for me, that is sort of thin). I am to some 16s now, down from snug 20s.

I needed new clothes after my tummy tuck. I didn't lose any real weight (3 pounds), but I lost amazing inches because I had so much extra skin. It was so good. NOTHING feels as good as buying new clothes does because of a slimmer figure :)

I honestly will not like it as I know I won't be at my final weight when I have to get some. It really seems like a waste, but I won't be able to keep my pants up, so I will be forced to get a few "in between" sizes :(

Archived