You say you want a REVOLUTION

Bellis

"Sea of Green" - I really love this expression.

On ontd-political on livejournal, I found some pictures of yesterday's day of mourning that should be shared. They are really powerful, and I'm so amazed that you see so many women and men of all ages and all of them are peaceful.

I have only lurked until now, and I'm really grateful for all those who have contributed to this thread with informations and pictures.

Wear green on Sunday? I can do that.

Operation Countenance in 1941, a joint Anglo-Soviet invasion to ensure that the Persian corridor remained open and that the Royal Navy would continue to benefit from the fuel of Abadan without having to do anything so humiliating as pay for it.

i never knew it was called that. My grandfather was there building roads with the Royal Engineers.

On a side note, I have been forced to look at many Farsi words recently. I have some working knowledge of Urdu which is a bastard progeny of Farsi/Hindi and whatnot, so it is interesting to recognize certain words in Farsi. I presume it is similar to speaking one of the romance languages or even English and recognizing some latin words because of that.

An Iranian grad student taught me little bits of Farsi, enough to know I'd like to learn it properly sometime. :) Verb conjugation reminded me of Latin, but other things reminded me of French. Beautiful language.

no, your point was that all experiences of being victimized by a foreign nation are equivalent, or at least comparable.

and by 'Thailand,' do you actually mean Vietnam?

as for french and farsi: farsi adopted some french words when french was the world language, but grammatically it functions in an incredibly different way, being much closer to latin in its systems of conjugation and syntax, with the verb at the end of the sentence and a verbal ending denoting the person of the doer--all of which is, even in latin, a far cry from french. any similarities between the two language beyond that are largely due to a small number of robust proto-indo-european nominal roots and the basic indo-european method of verb tense construction.

I'm admittedly saying this as a germanic-speaker, but isn't french pretty similar to latin in the first place? :P

Yes, culture has a huge influence on reaction of similar experiences. Not totally dependent upon, but it is a huge influence. The situations are comparable in that they involve a foreign force subjecting their will upon native peoples. Culture is not the only variable, but definitely an important variable.

Not really that important. I think a much more important variable is perceived regime continuity. The reason few people hate the Germans these days is because of the fact that, you know, the current Federal Republic has bugger-all to do with the Nazi regime. Iran (and much of Latin America for that matter) still see the US as still being the same animal it was the 1970s.

Also, an awful lot of it is how events are "remembered". Compare the way the US views the Revolutionary War against Britain (i.e. Britons are non-hated) with the way the US South behaved after the Civil War, where you had a whole bunch of people creating a regional myth of a "noble cause" and hating the North because of it.

He clearly hasn't been following British news very closely, our government has long since transcended such mundane concepts as good or evil but is at present engaged in what the critics are calling the most impressive piece of performance art of this century. An extended satire on incompetence, hubris and the price of ambitions.

He should really be taking notes.

I think he's right to be worried. Look how much damage the government does when it's not even trying. Perhaps, and I recognise it's unlikely, it could cause even more if that was its intention. :unsure:

In your face USA! We're Number 1!

hahahahah

the best bit is that, even if the protests win through and dismantle the theocracy, and all our hopes for them are complete, even if the army turns against the government, abolishes it, and then abolishes itself, even if the protests turn out with US flags, reaffirm their commitment to international law, and open a new dialogue with the world--

even then, they'll still want nuclear weapons, because everybody wants nuclear weapons. i want nuclear weapons, even though i hate them. the fucking quakers want nuclear weapons.

and the US will still oppose it, and the new iranian government will therefore remain on the axis of most evil list.

How the hell did he come up with Britan as enemy number 1? Has there been some huge British anti-Iranian conspiracy going on that I'm unaware of?

Seems pretty random...

How the hell did he come up with Britan as enemy number 1? Has there been some huge British anti-Iranian conspiracy going on that I'm unaware of?

Seems pretty random...

It's really not random at all, the British state went to a lot of effort to establish the status of the UK as the controlling power in the Middle East and unsurprisingly that reputation still lingers.

That the British government unaided no longer has even a tiny fraction of the capacity to use force to control the region hasn't actually undermined the widespread belief in perfidious Albion's ambition to influence.

It's merely assumed that we now operate through puppets, whether it's Sunni monarchs trained at Sandhurst or American Presidents who will believe anything provided it's whispered in a clipped British accent. As for the British anti-Iranian conspiracy see the 1941 and 1953 incidents already mentioned in this thread.

Oh yeah I have no doubt there's a ton of shit Britan has done. It just seems very villian of the month. Yesterday the US, today Britan, tomorrow who knows!

The cast of villains is actually fairly fixed: the US, the UK, Russia, Sunni autocrats and Zionists, rotate as needed and in times of crisis develop a startling conspiracy involving all of them.

It's a plot device that works for authoritarian regimes and Marvel comics.

Supreme Leader Khamenei defends last Friday's election.

From the article:

The supreme leader took on what he considers enemies of Iran -- United States, Britain, Israel, and apparently those inside the country -- for manipulating and undermining the process.

He criticized international media messages that the election pitted people who support the government against those who oppose it. He said all four candidates -- Ahmadinejad, Moussavi, Mohsen Rezaie and Mehdi Karrubi -- support the Islamic revolution.

Khamenei praised the 85 percent voter turnout of about 40 million people, but said that some critics "wanted to indicate that as a doubtful victory. Some even wanted to show that this is a national defeat."

"They wanted to give you bad taste in the mouth. They could not see that the highest turnout in the world goes down in history in your name, but that happened. It's recorded in history in your name. They cannot manipulate it no more," he said.

Khamenei said Ahmadinejad got more than 24 million votes, defeating Moussavi, his main challenger.

"Eleven million votes difference? Sometimes there's a margin of 100,000, 200,000, or 1 million maximum. Then one can doubt maybe there has been some rigging or manipulation or irregularities," Khamenei said.

"But there's a difference of 11 million votes. How can vote rigging happen?" he asked.

This is not good.

Archived