US Politics XI

Inigima

So, how many days do you think Fox News can milk this picture for?

I'm predicting at least 2, with it frequently being brought up randomly when a picture of Obama is needed.

Since some people have been having too much fun with the California budget deficits, let's look at some other states as well:

http://www.smartmoney.com/Personal-Finance...-Big-Tax-Hikes/

New York - State deficit estimate for fiscal 2010: $17.6 billion; Percent of general fund budget: 31.9%

Florida - State deficit estimate for fiscal 2010: $6 billion; Percent of general fund budget: 27%

Massachusetts - State deficit estimate for fiscal 2010: $3 billion; Percent of general fund budget: 11.2%

Nevada - State deficit estimate for fiscal 2010: $1.2 billion; Percent of general fund budget: 32%

Expect big tax hikes if you're residents of any of these states.

Would it really surprise you if he did?

The man has a permanently sleazy smile on his face. But one of those happy "He's such a scamp" sleazy smiles, not the "Are you sure you didn't elect a pimp PM?" sleazy smile.

Jesus! Can't Republicans do anything without their parents?

I think we should show some gratitude for the tireless efforts of the Republican party to increase our stock of implausible excuses. I look forward to the day when a liberal politician can make this statement and escape censure.

"I did not pay to have gay sex with a prostitute, I simply have a wide stance when hiking the Appalachian trail and a pattern of generosity."

Massachusetts - State deficit estimate for fiscal 2010: $3 billion; Percent of general fund budget: 11.2%

Expect big tax hikes if you're residents of any of these states.

MA just increased the sales tax from 5% to 6.25%, and MBTA fairs are going up something like 20%, iirc. Interesting timing with the gubernatorial primary just starting to get going.

So, how many days do you think Fox News can milk this picture for?

I'm predicting at least 2, with it frequently being brought up randomly when a picture of Obama is needed.

Actually, Anne Coulter will no doubt use this photo as evidence of Obama's homosexuality. Remember, this is the woman who said that there was something gay about Clinton's rampant womanizing. :thumbsup:

I must say that having your parents do the paying off of your mistress sets a new standard for sleaze. Maybe not sleaze, but just... cheapness.

Making the payments in small chunks so that the mistress might be able to avoid paying taxes on it shows a bit of innovation, which I guess should be appreciated. It would also make it harder to uncover, which is probably the real purpose. How is this guy possibly able to stay in office? Between him and Sanford, how does any Republican actually have the gall to stand up and say that they're the party of family values and ethical standards? How the fuck do people let them get away with this crap? Where is the fucking accountability?

Why do we notice when Obama may or may not take a look at some girl's ass at the G8 summit? (Ok, so he probably did, but it's hard to tell from just that snapshot) But we don't seem to care in the least about the rank hypocrisy of what appears to be every high level member of the Republican party? Why?

I honestly wouldn't care if my president fucked goats as long as his policies worked.

Me either, although I've got to say, I prefer s/he didn't. Or at least did it in the White House dungeon where I need never know about it, haha.

Triskele,

What bothers me more about the family values thing is that voters actually think that it's an important factor to consider. I honestly wouldn't care if my president fucked goats as long as his policies worked.

Yes, and we've seen evidence that Pres. Obama's economic policies are working, how? The continued rise in unemployment? The incredible rising deficit and national debt? The devaluation of the Dollar?

Ironically, I think his best efforts have been in foreign policy.

Triskele,

Yes, and we've seen evidence that Pres. Obama's economic policies are working, how? The continued rise in unemployment? The incredible rising deficit and national debt? The devaluation of the Dollar?

Yeah, cause if not for Obama, everything would have been fine....

Shryke,

Yeah, cause if not for Obama, everything would have been fine....

I don't beleive I've blamed Obama for the current situation. Quite clearly the past administration and congress bear a large portion of the blame for the mess we (the U.S.) are in. My point is that his policies don't appear to be ameloriating it either.

Triskele,

As far as the stimulus, it's just too early to say. Plenty of people are starting to pile on all of the sudden but most of the money hasn't even gone out yet.

The money we're turning on the printing presses to create you mean?

They should have said "listen people, this crap ain't getting better any time soon." Of course he can't say that though.

Oh he did and got criticized for being a Negative Nellie on the economy back in Feb/March or so. Changed his tune to be more upbeat after that (arguably too upbeat). Personally, my hope was to be clearly back on track by Spring '10.

I don't think we should be talking second stimulus, myself. I don't see it finding any traction in Congress, in any case.

I've also been wondering if the economy drops back into a recession, would people turn to a socially conservative candidate in the hope for something different? I just don't see a Palin or Huckabee as doing anything meaningful for the economy really.

Also, is it typical for unemployment to continue to rise even after the economy has turned the corner? I'm not saying we have, I just thought I recall reading that somewhere and thinking the unemployment rate wasn't the best way to gauge where the economy is actually at. Wrong, right?

Speaking of, have you guys see us lately? 14.1. Ooh yeah.

“Major events continued to unfold in Michigan’s auto industry in May, which had a considerable impact on the state’s unemployment rate,â€

“Curtailed production negatively influenced suppliers and other related sectors, resulting in further weakening in the labor market."

Michigan's job situation likely will get even worse; state economists predict Michigan’s unemployment rate could average 14% this year and more than 15% in 2010.

Archived