MMA 2009 III

Analu

From the "unauthorised" thread.

OK, this makes sense. But merely shows how much of a douche Dana White is. Why in the fuck can't he purchase enough time for all scheduled matches to go the distance? Greedy fuck. And why did no one mention anything in the broadcast? Wondering if I lost my mind and slept through a fight, and then attempting to find out what happened (unsuccessfully) probably cost me a whole round of the GSP fight. I mean, I could have rewound it, but still.

I'm no fan of DW, but it's really not on him. There's no telling if there's going to be an inadvertent eye poke or groin strike during a fight, which gives the fighter 5 minutes to recover, so they had to make sure they got the Lesnar vs Mir fight on there. But I agree that Rogan or Goldie should've clued people in that the Fitch fight was postponed to the end. Guess they just assumed (like I did) that everyone already knew that. Bummer if it made you miss some of the GSP fight, though.

Where's this talk of a Machida-Lesnar fight coming from, though? (Maelys, I think you were the one who mentioned it?)

Recall reading a link in a thread on my family board that Machida stated he wanted to test himself against Lesnar. Will try to find it later on and link it here, but am too fucked up right now to make the effort.

Okay, here's where I got it from. No idea how legit it is: Machida wants Lesnar

I don't quite understand this, I mean it's obvious that his schtick is all a show.

Nah, doubt it. Most likely, he's just a total dickhead.

As for Hendo, technically, you go until the ref stops you. Everyone knows that. But since he admitted in his interview that he knew Bisping was out, I'd have to agree that that was a pretty shitty move. He could've really hurt him with that last shot and there's no call for that, no matter how big a douche you think he is. And I happen to think he's a pretty big one.

Dan denied knowing Bisping was out until he was coming down with the forearm when they asked him on MMA Live. He said the same think at the post-fight press conf. as well. Seems like he was mostly hyping up the crowd in the interview with Rogan since he's followed standing KOs with the flying elbow before when there was no beef (Wanderlei Silva II).

Ok, I'm coming at this from someone who is just starting to take an interest in MMA, doesn't know alot about it, UFC 100 was the first PPV fight I have ever paid for.

I enjoyed it thoroughly from start to finish.

I'm not as hard on Brock as others are here. He seems to motivate himself with a "me against the world" attitude. Who knows where it comes from. With the adrenaline pumping and his background as an entertainer, he definitely went over the top. But that wasn't reflected in the way he fought. There weren't any cheap shots or pounding a guy while he is unconscious. If you listen to his comments after he seems like a guy who tells it like it is and is comfortable in his own skin, doesn't care what anyone else thinks, doesn't give the typical BS pro-athelete canned answers.

Also, Joe Rogan was fine and (from a novice viewer's perspective) seemed to know his stuff, but why is he the color commentator? Isn't that supposed to be someone with a background in the sport like an ex fighter or coach?

Ok, I'm coming at this from someone who is just starting to take an interest in MMA, doesn't know alot about it, UFC 100 was the first PPV fight I have ever paid for.

I'm not as hard on Brock as others are here. He seems to motivate himself with a "me against the world" attitude. Who knows where it comes from. With the adrenaline pumping and his background as an entertainer, he definitely went over the top. But that wasn't reflected in the way he fought. There weren't any cheap shots or pounding a guy while he is unconscious. If you listen to his comments after he seems like a guy who tells it like it is and is comfortable in his own skin, doesn't care what anyone else thinks, doesn't give the typical BS pro-athelete canned answers.

Also, Joe Rogan was fine and (from a novice viewer's perspective) seemed to know his stuff, but why is he the color commentator? Isn't that supposed to be someone with a background in the sport like an ex fighter or coach?

Rogan does do quite a bit of training in the sport and is quite knowledgeable. ocassionally theywill go to a three man booth. they've used couture and florian before off the top of my head

Rogan is/was a world class taekwando (sp?) champion, and is also a jui jitsu practitioner. Martial arts is a huge part of his life, and he also has a shit ton of experience in front of a microphone.

I was incredibly impressed with Alves' guardwork and conditioning. That guy is for real.

You're insane. That guy is not for real. He simply has more muscle mass thanks to steroids and diuretics. Good for him. He got the shit kicked out of him. Five rounds. And injured GSP took it to him at will. GSP barely tried after the second round. He did not have to. Alves is a tough kid, but a well-rounded MMA fighter or a contender, he is not.

You're insane. That guy is not for real. He simply has more muscle mass thanks to steroids and diuretics. Good for him. He got the shit kicked out of him. Five rounds. And injured GSP took it to him at will. GSP barely tried after the second round. He did not have to. Alves is a tough kid, but a well-rounded MMA fighter or a contender, he is not.

Agreed.

Thiago's a very good fighter. He kind of reminds me of an in-his-prime Chuck Liddell: devastating striker who would use his takedown D to keep the fight standing and mask his ground weaknesses. He just faced an unstoppable force at WW in GSP. Once he realized he couldn't defend GSP's takedowns, it affected every aspect of his game: his stamina, kicks, tentative striking, mind, etc.

I thought if there was one guy who was strong and explosive enough to stop or at least slow GSP's takedowns, it was him. I was wrong. To his credit, though, he did a great job standing back up after most TDs. Think it just exhausted him too much, just like it did with BJ when GSP ran thru him, too. Smart gameplan, and the perfect fighter to execute that strategy.

And as others have said, Rogan's a TKD and BJJ black or brown belt. He's been a fan of MMA forever, and used to do commentating for the UFC for free during their lean years just because he loved it so much. Dana White's a lot of bad things, but he's also very loyal and Rogan probably has a job for life in the UFC if he wants it.

Just rewatched the Hendo fight. Goddamn that was brutal...

Also agreed.

Alves is currently a one trick pony but has time on his side to study up on other techniques and he really needs to if he is to take on the likes of Mr St Pierre.

I've calmed down a little on the Hendo-Bisping issue but I still have little respect for Hendo now.

Bisping fought a terrible fight and although he looked full of confidence before the fight, it all seemed to disappear when the fight started. From what his corner were saying after the first round, it seems that the plan was to circle left and that Bisping was ignoring that game plan. Hendo didn't really seem worried at all by Bisping's offence and that will be a major concern for his camp.

He was always going to eat a big right and when Hendo lands that flush, most fighters are going to head to la la land.

I don't think Michael is as good as he thinks he is but I do feel that if he learns from this he could be that good in a couple of years.

Lesnar is and is marketed by the UFC as a beast, so when he plays up to the image, I can't really blame him. When he faced up to Mir after the fight was over, I felt that Mir was truly frightened and that is not acceptable. Lesnar should apologise to Mir but as for the post fight interview with Joe Rogan, that was TV gold.

I've calmed down a little on the Hendo-Bisping issue but I still have little respect for Hendo now.

Bisping fought a terrible fight and although he looked full of confidence before the fight, it all seemed to disappear when the fight started. From what his corner were saying after the first round, it seems that the plan was to circle left and that Bisping was ignoring that game plan. Hendo didn't really seem worried at all by Bisping's offence and that will be a major concern for his camp.

Henderson showed good power but I don't think there was anything in this fight to suggest he would beat Anderson Silva, walking forward in a straight line and winding up the right hand like that wouldn't be anything close to enough.

Henderson showed good power but I don't think there was anything in this fight to suggest he would beat Anderson Silva, walking forward in a straight line and winding up the right hand like that wouldn't be anything close to enough.

Word

Only reason he was doing that was because he knew Bisping couldn't hurt him. You could tell about midway through the first that he stopped respecting Bisping's power at all, while Bisping felt Dan's shots and lost confidence. I guarantee he'd be trying to use his wrestling and dirty boxing a lot more against Silva.

Only reason he was doing that was because he knew Bisping couldn't hurt him. You could tell about midway through the first that he stopped respecting Bisping's power at all, while Bisping felt Dan's shots and lost confidence. I guarantee he'd be trying to use his wrestling and dirty boxing a lot more against Silva.

Yeah, it was pretty noticeable once they first engaged and sized each other up, both knew which of them was lacking. Obviously Dan wouldn't come in with the same gameplan against the Spider as he did against Bisping.

And if he said that he was joking about knowing Bisping was out before the last punch, then I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. He's never been known as a dirty fighter before, and everything he did was technically legal. It was just scary to see that fist coming down on an out-cold, mouthpiece-less Bisping.

People may want others (Marquardt, Maia) to get a shot at Silva before setting up a rematch with Hendo, but that's still the fight I would most like to see at MW. I still love the dude and he's shown he's still formidable, is completely fearless and is a living legend.

And I want to see a GSP vs Spider superfight happen now, not later. Who else is there for GSP at WW? Swick? Kampmann? Fitch again? None of them appeal to me. Make it happen this year, Dana.

Well, Silva's got the Griffin fight and then will probably have to fight one of the three you mentioned above (Hendo, Maia, and Marquardt), and GSP will want to come back from this groin pull and take his time in bulking up, so I doubt very much that it'd happen this year.

Re: the Henderson-Bisping thing, I really got the impression that he was saying "I didn't know he was out until it was too late to stop myself" because someone took him aside after the fight and said, "shit, Dan! You can't say you intentionally hit an unconscious fighter, wtf are you thinking?", because he seemed really happy that he got the second shot in.

Re: the Henderson-Bisping thing, I really got the impression that he was saying "I didn't know he was out until it was too late to stop myself" because someone took him aside after the fight and said, "shit, Dan! You can't say you intentionally hit an unconscious fighter, wtf are you thinking?", because he seemed really happy that he got the second shot in.

That's exactly how I think it played out.

That's exactly how I think it played out.

Agreed. As soon as he paused after Joe asked the question, I knew that whatever came out of his mouth, the answer was yes. Surprised he fessed up, but not surprised he took it back.

And Bluray looks like your observation at the bar was dead on.

“Straight WWE,†said a stunned Dana White, the president of the UFC. “Brock went so far over the top tonight I can’t even describe it. I don’t think in the history of the UFC we’ve ever done anything like that.â€

Lesnar: "I’m used to selling pay-per-view tickets. I come from a business that is purely the entertainment business.â€

Article: "And so that was the excuse. Lesnar didn’t flip, he just flipped the switch back into Vince McMahon’s operation where nothing is too over the top."

Great to hear that! The more the sport grows the better. Something to say about Rogan, while I love the guy, is that he can get extremely biased in his commentary at times. Just something to watch for and try not to let him sway you (which can be hard since announcers are there to be the mouthpiece after all)

I disagree. I was impressed with how Alves, while being controlled in the fight, managed to get out from under GSP many times which others cannot/have not done. With even more training and honed skills, Alves still has a shot at being a champion down the line. GSP makes everyone he fights look bad.

I thought Akiyama won but 30-27 was crap. That was great when Belcher used the cage to push off for his superman punch. That was amazing and made the PPV when Hendo knocked out Bisping, everyone went nuts, the flying forearm was just icing on the cake. Good fights overall, I enjoyed Fitch vs Thiago (although it was a stalemate) where some great grappling was displayed. As far as Hendo throwing a 'cheap shot,' the ref hadn't stopped him yet so it is not nearly as bad as holding a choke after the ref grabs your arm and tells you to stop. (Babalu, Penn)

As far as Mir goes . . . pretty much how I was thinking it would go, Brock demolishing him for the most part. In the UFC HW division right now Carwin probably has the best shot against Lesnar.

EDIT-Copied part of this post from my MMA forum that I administrate so I had to correct some things, like referencing people who don't even post on this board. :)

Well, Silva's got the Griffin fight and then will probably have to fight one of the three you mentioned above (Hendo, Maia, and Marquardt), and GSP will want to come back from this groin pull and take his time in bulking up, so I doubt very much that it'd happen this year.

I wouldn't mind seeing Hendo matched up with the winner of the Marquardt vs Maia fight, while they got the GSP vs Spider superfight going, with the winners facing each other.

Maybe. That WWE-esque flying forearm shiver didn't exactly do Dan any favors.

But bottom line is that Bisping was completely outmatched and got destroyed. I didn't watch TUF this season, but apparently Bisping did a lot of trashtalking and Hendo said he didn't care to get into a war of words and would let his fists do the talking. And that's exactly what he did.

It was probably a cheap shot, but it was still legal. Shit like this happens in MMA all the time.

Archived