Jennifer Ehle cast as Catelyn Stark

Pluggers

Yeah, me too. Actually, the more wonderful actors they cast, the more I get worried when there still aren´t any news on Jaime/Cercei parts. Well, actually, Jaime´s part. A beautiful she-bitch must be a relatively easy part to play, compared to her brother´s transformation through the series. And don´t get me wrong, I would prefer a talented actor to a handsome one any day of the year, but ASOIAF is an mature adult fantasy, and the books do not have that many officially die-for handsome men.

I wouldn't be surprised if the casting for Jaime and Cersei is the other thing GRRM is gleefully teasing us about over on his blog.

And yes, I am also worried that the Catelyn in the series will come off as too sympathetic. But then, wasn´t it was point of the books as well? The POV structure is there so the readers can understand each character in all its shades of gray.

I don't know that I get this, really. If they portray her as she is in the books, as they seem to be doing, then surely if she comes across sympathetically, then she's meant to, as I've always thought she was?

Is this just because people don't like the character, but do like the actress playing her, so worry that they might start liking the character in the tv show, or something?

Yeah, me too. Actually, the more wonderful actors they cast, the more I get worried when there still aren´t any news on Jaime/Cercei parts. Well, actually, Jaime´s part. A beautiful she-bitch must be a relatively easy part to play, compared to her brother´s transformation through the series. And don´t get me wrong, I would prefer a talented actor to a handsome one any day of the year, but ASOIAF is an mature adult fantasy, and the books do not have that many officially die-for handsome men.

The more I think about casting the right actors for Jaime and Cersei, the more impossible it seems. And after the latest Ehle/Anderson shenanigans :wideeyed: I'm almost certain all hell will break loose just because the actress will not be "beautiful enough" to satisfy some diehards' ideal. Fandoms can be really scary.

Is this just because people don't like the character, but do like the actress playing her, so worry that they might start liking the character in the tv show, or something?

Catelyn is one of the best drawn characters in the book, and like most of Martin's characters, she has shades of grey. There are moments, such as "It should have been you", where you may sympathize, but you aren't supposed to like her.

That being said, I'm confident from what people have said about her other roles that she has the range to pull this off. While I always imagined Cat as more matronly pretty than conventionally pretty, the more I think about it, the more I think that Ehle has the right look for this role as well.

It's been forever since I saw P&P, and I've only caught bits of Possession.

But the news made my wife squee, so I'm assuming this is awesome news. She definitely looks like a great choice. Also, I'm always glad to see talented actors as opposed to actor personalities that overshadow the character.

Catelyn is one of the best drawn characters in the book, and like most of Martin's characters, she has shades of grey. There are moments, such as "It should have been you", where you may sympathize, but you aren't supposed to like her.

You might not be supposed to like her at that exact moment, but on the whole, I think you are. Just like you are with Jon, or Ned, or Robb, or Sansa overall, despite there being times when they say or do terrible or stupid things. That's what I mean. I don't think we've yet had any indications that things like "It should have been you" will be cut. People seem to be saying that having a likeable actress in the role will make her too sympathetic, whereas, generally, a talented actress, as in the one we have, should be able to make you like or dislike her at different times just as you would a real person. I've always had the impression that GRRM was really quite surprised at the impassioned hatred of the character, because generally, you are supposed to like her.

You might not be supposed to like her at that exact moment, but on the whole, I think you are. Just like you are with Jon, or Ned, or Robb, or Sansa overall, despite there being times when they say or do terrible or stupid things. That's what I mean. I don't think we've yet had any indications that things like "It should have been you" will be cut.

I agree and I really hope that line stays in. For me, that was the first moment when I realised ASoIaF wasn't like any other fantasy series: unfair, shockingly hurtful words can be spoken by good people in pain, and everyone has their own unique bias.

"It should have been you" can be very well done and sympathetic to Catelyn (If the actress says it with enough pain, I think sympathy might even go more to her than to Jon). In my opinion, she's drawn as a sympathetic character. My reasons for disliking her have nothing to do with that line, and it's kinda getting on my nerves the hatedom she has for that. I really hope the line stays, because if the actress is good enough (And from comments here, I think she is), it could be a moment just as great as Michael Corleone slowly growing angrier at Kay until he smacks her, in Godfather 2.

We were away and without a computer so I just heard about this. Excellent casting choice! I really loved her in Pride and Prejudice. Even with Colin Firth distracting the hell out of me, I did notice how awesome her Lizzie was.

Just a quick note, GRRM claimed that he hadn't heard of Dany being cast. At the same time, a second hand report claims that one of the actors (Harry Lloyd, cast as Viserys) said that Dany was indeed cast.

So, we'll see. Might be one of those situations where she's all but cast but for signed contracts.

Well. we will have all the cast before october for sure.

So have a little hard time seeing how people can loose patience with such a limited timeline

And I am loving it to. The cast is great so far.

And we will be having more characters cast with the next couple months.

Jaime, Cersei, Arya, Daenerys, Jorah and the friggin Hound.

I think the only reason so many people have a problem with Catelyn is that her rebuke of Jon comes so early on in the story that it's their main first impression of her. Had that moment come after we'd spent most of the first book getting to know her in other ways, I think she'd be better liked. I think it's unfair to judge her so harshly for that.

I think the only reason so many people have a problem with Catelyn is that her rebuke of Jon comes so early on in the story that it's their main first impression of her. Had that moment come after we'd spent most of the first book getting to know her in other ways, I think she'd be better liked. I think it's unfair to judge her so harshly for that.

Agreed, very much so.

Well just after that she parries an assassin's knife with her bare hands! That left a much bigger impression on me than the It Should Be You line.

Also agreed.

Catelyn is awesome ;)

Jennifer Ehle will do a fabulous job, methinks.

I also like Catelyn and I was also surprised to see how unpopular she was online. My fear is that some people might turn their hatred of the unpopular characters onto the actresses who portray them. It's happened in other fandoms and I'd like to think our fandom is too mature for that, but I'm not so sure anymore. Please no one send Jennifer Ehle nasty letters, okay.

Archived