Rugby

Vestrit

A few of my mates and I did the 6N Fantasy League thing last year, with a tenner in for each of us, all prize money to the victor.

I'm not going to do it again, because I actually found it spoiled my enjoyment of the tournament, with pyrrhic victories when particular opposition players scored against your team and wanting individuals to score and not make the final pass, but drive for the line themselves.

Honestly, I think the 6N is exciting enough just enjoying it on its own and rooting for your national team.

We played the Irish Times fantasy league, which isn't great because it only really awards scores and assists, and reduces everything to 4 positions: forward, scrumhalf, outhalf and back.

So you end up with a pack made up of only back-row forwards.

Why not, I'm always up for an opportunity to be embarrassingly wrong. How exactly would it work?

Off the top of my head, I was thinking a league where you get two points for guessing the winner correctly, two more points for guessing the winning margin exactly, and one point for being within five points. How does that sound? I'm happy to go with a better alternative.

Btw, does anyone want to join a 6N fantasy league?

Count me in.

Off the top of my head, I was thinking a league where you get two points for guessing the winner correctly, two more points for guessing the winning margin exactly, and one point for being within five points. How does that sound? I'm happy to go with a better alternative.

Sounds good. I'll come up with some predictions then.

Definitely sounds good. I'll be honest, I only really pay attention to rugby when the 6N and World Cup come around - but I'll go in anyway.

I do go to the odd game. Was at Twickers for the London Irish-Leinster draw.

Ok so my preditions are:

Ireland vs Italy, Ireland by 30 points (45-15). Ireland look strong at the moment and I don't give Italy away from home without Parisse much hope of it going well.

Scotland vs France, France by 12 points (15-27). France probably have the most talent of any team in the Six Nations and I think that eventually they'll be too strong for Scotland but I think it might be a tough first half for them, Scotland do have some decent players.

England vs Wales, England by four points (21-17). I'm not hugely confident about this prediction, it could easily go either way. I think Wales will be on top in the set piece, they have the better flyhalf and Roberts against Tait is a risk for England in the outside centre channel. On the plus side for England, Wilkinson will score points, I think they have the stronger back row (and Moody is the kind of flanker Martyn Williams doesn't do well against) plus Shaw and Hartley in the loose and I don't rate Cooper at nine. On top of that they have home advantage, so I think thay might just edge it. That might be wishful thinking though.

Ireland by 30. There is no way Italy could not take a severe defeat by Ireland this year.

England by 3. Wilkinson is back at his best level and it's Twikenham.

France by 15. First half will be very close. But Scotland lack of power and the quality of the French bench will make France score a lot in the second half.

Archived