September 2009 Reads, Potential Reads, and Abandoned Reads

Larry.

It's a terrible conundrum we live in. Can you help me sort it out please?

I have done. Somewhere, in your book collection, you will find the relevant passage underlined. I can't say any more than that.

I always felt that to really get Soldier's Son you have to read all three.

Really ? I kind of liked the first book, but couldn't stand Forest Mage which I found literally painful to read.

Is the third book redeeming ? I've been hesitant about giving it a try for several months now.

I'd like to like it, but I don't think I could stand reading another Forest Mage...

I read Shadow's Edge and Beyond the Shadows by Brent Weeks, books 2 and 3 of the Night Angel trilogy. As I feared, the writing did not improve from the first book. There were enormous plot holes and things happening out of thin air just because they suited the story, without any rational explanation. At times it was one incredulous WTF after another. It felt as if the the author didn't know when he should stop with the story, he kept stretching it and stretching it. It made me chuckle often though, especially spotting the oh-too-many similarities to WoT.

I also read The Bridge to Holy Cross by Paulline Simons. As with the first book, I wasn't impressed at all and I almost found myself skimming the pages towards the end. It annoyed me that almost one third of the book was flashbacks to the first one. I mean, seriously? I only read it because I have this horrible inability to abandon a story, once I start it I need to find out where it goes. I think there's a third book with the same characters, I might actually find it in a library and then I'll feel compelled to read it, even though I know I won't like it. It's a curse.

Next up is Wolf of the Plains by Conn Iggulden.

Inherent Vice by Thomas Pynchon, which was easy and pleasant enough to read while I was reading it. But after I was done, I couldn't for the life of me recall or summarize what just happened. I actually went back the next day and skimmed the book again. This was very similar to my experience with his Crying of Lot 49.

I didn't expect to like John Fowles' The Magus as much as I did. I wasn't expecting the love story, or rather, the psychological depth of the love story. Good book.

Finally finished Robert Holdstock's 'Mythago Wood' and am kicking myself for not reading it a lot sooner. It's an absolutely gorgeous read and I'm looking forward to picking up 'Avilion' very soon. My full review is over Here. I'm now reading Alex Bledsoe's 'Burn Me Deadly' amongst others...

Abandoned this week:

The Riddle-Master of Hed by Patricia McKillip. Painfully, painfully cliche. I was summing up the first 100 pages or so to my husband, and it went something like this "Farmer price was going to college because he was AWESOME at riddles, but then his parents DIED so he had to come home. His sister tells him she found a crown under his bed and he reveals that he won it because of how great he was at riddles, and then THAT day a harpist comes by and JUST SO HAPPENS to be looking for the person who won the crown six months ago! And then he finds out that he gets to marry a really pretty princess but OH NO, the princess' brother is his BFF! So he wants to go check with his BFF to make sure it's all good, but it's ok, because it is. Then on the way to the princess his boat crashes and he gets AMENESIA but then he RECOVERS MIRACULOUSLY and... wow, I don't think I want to read this anymore."

Daughter of the Blood by Anne Bishop. How in the hell does this have over 4 stars on Amazon? And so many sparkling reviews? It read like a trashy romance novel, but without any real romance, so... just trah.

Nightside of the Long Sunby Gene Wolfe. I'm more in the mood for fantasy right now than I am for sci-fi, but even then, the first 100 pages or so are pretty confusing. However, I'll be keeping this one to try again later, as opposed to the other two, which are getting their asses back to the used bookstore.

Reading this week:

Right now I'm giving The Briar King by Greg Keyes a shot. I really hope I can stay with this one, because I would love to actually read a book for more than 200 pages right now.

If I do abandon it, I'm going to give Bakker's Prince of Nothing a shot. It's pretty popular on here so I've had it in reserve for when I get as irritated with what I'm reading as I am right now. Putting down 3, potentially 4, books in a row is really, really irritating.

Got sucked into Gates of Fire by Steven Pressfield. Excellent book. I was a little surprised at the level of philosophy by the Spartans, but I put that down to how the story was narrated. Highly recommended.

I'm finally reading Alastair Reynolds with Revelation Space.

I finished the Space Trilogy of C.S. Lewis. Out of the Silent Planet and Perelandra (where else can you see a philologist and an incarnate Lucifer fistfight on Venus?) were both top-notch. That Hideous Strength was a bit hard to get through, but it was well worth it.

And I'm mostly done with Peter Hitchens's The Abolition of Britain - showing how far the UK has declined in the past 40 years. I suppose its perversely nice to know the Mother Country's civilization is dying just as much as our own is.

Abandoned this week:

The Riddle-Master of Hed by Patricia McKillip. Painfully, painfully cliche. I was summing up the first 100 pages or so to my husband, and it went something like this "Farmer price was going to college because he was AWESOME at riddles, but then his parents DIED so he had to come home. His sister tells him she found a crown under his bed and he reveals that he won it because of how great he was at riddles, and then THAT day a harpist comes by and JUST SO HAPPENS to be looking for the person who won the crown six months ago! And then he finds out that he gets to marry a really pretty princess but OH NO, the princess' brother is his BFF! So he wants to go check with his BFF to make sure it's all good, but it's ok, because it is. Then on the way to the princess his boat crashes and he gets AMENESIA but then he RECOVERS MIRACULOUSLY and... wow, I don't think I want to read this anymore."

Yeah, I had trouble with that one as well. I just never got sucked in. My experiences with McKillip have always been bittersweet. It seems like she writes for full imagery, which I admit, is some of the best I've ever read, but clearly at the expense of the story. The last book of hers that I read (only last month) In the Forest of Serre , had numerous passages where paragraph after paragraph would dwell on one scene, usually turning out to be of minimal importance. Entire chapters passed by where I would see vivid pictures of a scene that had hardly any meat to the story. Sometimes it seemed like literally, the story went nowhere. In the end the story from start to finish was unsatisfactory, especially considering this woman has won numerous WFAs and nominations. Her characterization was nothing special either, though admittedly her best in this sense was The Riddle-Master of Hed Trilogy.

*Also any "deeper meanings", or messages she tried to portray (if any) were too abstractly done for me to really figure out what she was getting at.

I didn't expect to like John Fowles' The Magus as much as I did. I wasn't expecting the love story, or rather, the psychological depth of the love story. Good book.
You should have expected to - because I'm a big fan. :)

And I'm mostly done with Peter Hitchens's The Abolition of Britain - showing how far the UK has declined in the past 40 years. I suppose its perversely nice to know the Mother Country's civilization is dying just as much as our own is.

Need to read me that. Love Peter Hitchens. Have you read The Triumph of the Political Class by Peter Oborne? He's another of my favourite conservative commentators.

Been on an Oscar Wilde kick lately. Might start a thread about him soon.

Finished reading 'Shamanslayer', latest in the 'Gotrek and Felix'. It's very lightweight and simplistic, as far as the plot goes, but is still one hell of a lot of fun to read. My full review is over Here. I'm now well into 'Burn Me Deadly' (which could turn out to be even better than 'The Sword Edged Blonde') and I've got a couple of other books on the go as well.

I'm debating what to read, after finishing Friedman's 'Black Sun Rising' book. Really liked that book, by the way.

I have her other book 'Feast of Souls', Zafron's 'Shadow in the Wind', Kearney's 'the Ten Thousand', and Harkaway's 'Gone-Away World' - what should I go with next?

Archived