NFL Thread: Bengals win the Super Bowl

Mexal

I'll get you some shoulder pads with skulls on them if you watch the whole game and root for Oakland. :P

That's a deal.

And as I type this, sack by Seymour. You're welcome. ;)

ETA: I am confused. Richard Seymour put his arms around Phillip Rivers and dragged him to the ground. Why is that not a 15 yard penalty?

The Patriots are very lucky to have gotten a win out of this. I know, I know- I am going on a limb here.

On D I actually think the Pats played very well- they gave up 17 points (which is okay) and I would bet that their game plan was simple: shut down TO and Evans (Total combined Line: 5 catches for 71 yards). The Buffalo offense ran a TOTAL of 48 plays (by contrast the Rams - who were shut out -ran 57); they did not have a third down conversion until the 3rd Quarter. And this was on top of two bad roughing the passer calls. Regardless, for a D, they played fine.

Their O looked lost for MOST of the game. It looked like it stayed way too much in the middle of the field, short between 3-5 yards and never consistent. The O-line was giving up heavy penetration behind the line and was not reacting very-Brady like. And THEN he threw the gimme INT-TD which was atrocious. Everything just kept coming apart at that point. They could not put things together. Thankfully, the second half had things going better- Brady seemed to lock on Randy Moss and get in his grove with Welker and you expected good things. But then tackling broke down on D, we gave up that second turnover on downs (third if you include the missed field goal).

But here is the key (and screw you if you think I am just a homer): the Patriots never stopped doing what they are supposed to do: keep TO and Evans out of the game (TO did not have a catch in the first half; Evans did not have one in the second, IIRC), get the passing yards flowing, move the ball, don't panic, play solid special teams, no gimmicks. Kick off, FUMBLE, capitalize. Brady at that point was back to Tom Brady and he just owned. He went 10-12 in the last two drives and made at least 5 STUPID GOOD passes. And it was the Patriots O in its glory. Brady had 378 yards passing, 73% completion, and 2 TDs (against that one terrible, terrible INT). In the end, it was a complete team win (after being DANGEROUSLY close to being a complete team loss). The Special Teams GOT the ball, the Offense SCORED with the ball (twice) and the D stopped the Bills at the end.

Okay that's all the rosy world. The bad news is we, at this rate, will lose BIG to the Jets of this continues in 6 days. Our O-Line looked lost at times, Brady seemed rust-filled in first half; we had 4th down turnovers, and the fact that we were playing a TERRIBLE team , with a guy calling plays for the first time as coordinator (a job he has had for three whole weeks), an O-line that has 3 rookies and everyone playing a new position, AT HOME! Yeah, we should have won this game by 22.

In the end, thrilled we won, it had more to do with our team and our players (and that Tom Brady guy) than luck (but please, keep those letters coming!), but I don't think its a good omen of things to come.

Whatever "it" is, JaMarcus Russell doesn't have it. He looks like an alien on the field, superhuman size and ridiculous arm strength...and the sense that this is the first time he's ever played football in his life.

But I'll say this, if one team knows punting, it's the Raiders.

All right, I can't defect from Denver, but I officially have a second team and that's the Chicago Bears. I'm jumping on the ship because I think Cutler's going to rally and plug all the holes. I love a guy who is beat down by the know-it-alls. He'll prove 'em wrong.

Awesome. Jut having Kal and no-names to piss on wasn't fulfilling enough.

I...I can't believe the Patriots are losing even for a moment.

Someone rouse Bluray.

I don't wanna fucking talk about it. Ok? OK? OKAY?

Blah. Maybe this won't be a bottom-10 team this year. If the no-huddle ever starts working to potential, the offense will be, y'know, relatively acceptable. But man, I remember when this team was really good at ST. Two McKelvin fumbles, including one to give the game away? Ugh.

After 2 false starts and a taunting penalty, I don't think there's any doubt we're watching a Norv Turner coached team at the moment.

I don't wanna fucking talk about it. Ok? OK? OKAY?

Sorry Bluray, thought they had it.

After 2 false starts and a taunting penalty, I don't think there's any doubt we're watching a Norv Turner coached team at the moment.

Sorry Bluray, thought they had it.

Eh, no worries. It went better than I expected. I've been a curmudgeon all weekend because of this impending game.

Also, :lol: @ the Chargers-Raiders game. I'm not in front of a TV, so maybe one of you guys can tell me: is it really true that the only players doing anything right are McFadden and Zach Miller? Nobody else has a particularly good stat line (LdT's is OK).

Archived