NFL Thread: Bengals win the Super Bowl

Mexal

I would not have been lured back if not for the Cutler nonsense. I've pretty much stopped being a fan of the game. But it's been on mind a lot lately.

Maybe going to the game tonight has something to do with that. :D

I would not have been lured back if not for the Cutler nonsense. I've pretty much stopped being a fan of the game. But it's been on mind a lot lately.

Maybe going to the game tonight has something to do with that. :D

I hear you, man, Just razzing you a bit. After Dallas' debacle in Philly, I would not view anything Cowboy related for a month.

Then I slowly got pulled back in. just can't help it.

I'd also like to add that it's endlessly hilarious that it's always Pats fans who want to denigrate the Bears after something good or bad happens.

1986 was a long time ago fellas. Your team has done pretty well since then. Let it go.

Okay, so, you had to go back to 1986 to get our goat?

Look, here is the honest truth from THIS Patriots fan (and not all Patriot's Fans- I wish I had that power, but, alas, I am just one loud mouth): I like the Bears. I don't "love" them, but I like then a HELL of a lot more than the Vikings (now with 50% more Favre Love)! I think their head coach is overrated, but I like Hester and Urlacher and a few of the other non-QBs on the team. I just don't spend my time hating teams the Pats play once every 4 years. Except, apparently, the Vikings.

I mean, seriously - I don't even dislike the Giants. I know- screwed up, huh? (My dad is a Giants fan).

And now that Urlacher is hurt, I mean - Solidarity, brothers! Good teams that lose their best player? We should unite! I totally "feel your pain!" I hope you guys make the playoffs (in the same manner I am COMPLETELY sure you and kal and others DID NOT wish the Pats would in 2008). I think teams that get that kind of bad news we should support! I mean that's just sucky what happened to your team. And you and kal make a good point: the Bears did not play THAT bad of a game yesterday. They lost to possibly the best team in the NFC .... NFC North... okay Best team in the NFC North who does not make me want to throw grenades at the TV?

So I do not want to denigrate the Bears.

I want to denigrate Jay Cutler.

I found his "trade me or I'll cry" tirade at the end of 2008/ beginning of 2009 to be something my 3 year old would do when we don't buy her a ball. So... he was rewarded for that? (And note: I feel this way for other Boston players; I mean, Manny Ramirez pushes down a 60+ year old man and is ... rewarded for it by trading him to a playoff-contending team that will give into his contract offers AND the Sox have to pay a portion of his salary? Really? I thought that was lame as well). I just think the guy is a jerk. This is NOT a reflection on the Bears; Jesus! How could it be? The Pats went out and traded for Randy Moss!!! I do not like him for his "Me First" attitude and how he was rewarded for it.

Look, you can think I'm a jerk or a joke or other words that do not being with "j", but do not think I am getting my jollies off by watching the Bears lose or their fans suffer. I. Do. Not. I had to live through 1986... but its the METS I hate now from that year, not the Bears.

That prompted me to go watch the highlights of that superbowl.

Holy crap, what a beatdown.

Also, I had forgotten just how fast the Bears defense was. Damn.

CREED? WTF??

Hey, why didn't thei show Payton scoring a TD on that video? McMahon and the Fridge ran in scores.

Ohh....that's right. Ditka was a dick

:P

Also, I had forgotten just how fast the Bears defense was. Damn.

They were an incredible team (though, to be fair, kal, whenever I get worked up about the Pats you always tell me to go rent films of the 2001-2005 Pats so... nice to see you have you practice what you preach).

I think PART of the reason I was not traumatized as a child by this loss and why it had no real impact on me was that almost everyone I knew thought the Bears were going to win. It was, in so many ways, a foregone conclusion. We had two weeks to prepare and then, thankfully, it was over quickly (Jimmy the Greek did the half-time show where he said the contest was a battle "between men and boys" and I knew who was who). I think the worst part of the whole thing was the Fridge TD. That was sort of the classic "You Just Blow" part of the game.

But I also take solace from that experience: We kept the Dolphins out of the Superbowl and reminded everyone how Dan Marino could not win the big game. That was special. (And now the obligatory "Dan-Marino-was-an-Uber-QB-and-it-was-his-defense-that-lost-all-those-games" tirade by... somebody). We also knocked the Raiders out as well. Really, I thought this all was a win-win (and loss if you include the egg we laid on the field).

The next season is what really irked me. We actually finished with a better record and were SLAUGHTERED by the Broncos in the playoffs. That Elway guy: he turned out to be pretty good. Between Grogan and Bledsoe the Pats started such Herculean QBs as Scott Seccules, Hugh Millen and Scott Zolak. I know- I don't know why we didn't win either!

Ditka was a huge dick. That sweetness got no scoring but the Fridge did (and McMahon did twice) remains a travesty. I know that the Pats defensive plan was entirely "stop Payton" but still...he could've gotten something.

Ditka was a huge dick. That sweetness got no scoring but the Fridge did (and McMahon did twice) remains a travesty. I know that the Pats defensive plan was entirely "stop Payton" but still...he could've gotten something.

Even Barack Obama called out Ditka for that one...

So I'm pretty sure that blown coverage for GB's winning TD was the fault of Al Afalava, a rookie safety who was the other safety at Oregon State last year.

Nathan Vasher is a chump who had one good season and who only has a job because Lovie thinks the good player will show back up rather than the piece of crap who has been playing the last few years.

So I do not want to denigrate the Bears.

I want to denigrate Jay Cutler.

Fair enough. I think this thread and previous incarnations have been over the Cutler drama enough. I think he was warranted in wanting out. He went a little overboard, yes, but McDaniels was as much of a prick about the situation as Cutler. Cutler just happens to have a bigger mouth in public.

But I also take solace from that experience: We kept the Dolphins out of the Superbowl and reminded everyone how Dan Marino could not win the big game. That was special. (And now the obligatory "Dan-Marino-was-an-Uber-QB-and-it-was-his-defense-that-lost-all-those-games" tirade by... somebody).

Mocking the counter-argument to your stupid statement doesn't make your statement any less stupid. Or the counter-argument any less accurate.

I think the Urlacher injury is bigger than Cutler's performance. Listening to the local radio guys, they've been saying that Bears D would be the big issue because their secondary is bad. Vasher has gone downhill. Peanut Tillman is coming off surgery and the safeties are unproven Hub Arkush of Pro Football Weekly said the Bears safety position was the worst in league.

Tommie Harris will play the rest of his career basically on one leg. The other guys on the line have been eh as pass rushing tho Ogunleye was prett damn good last night. They played decently last night but losing Urlacher is huge. Not only against the run but his pass coverage is big in the Tampa 2.

Yeah, upon seeing the replay the safety on that side came up at the beginning of the play on what looked like a call so I can't really blame the safety as I did earlier. Was Vasher the corner who got beat?

Yep. Jennings just barely made a move and Vasher almost fell on his face. The guy plays aggressively, which could be a good thing if he didn't get fooled by Pop Warner moves, play actions or fakes every time.

Archived