NFL Thread: Bengals win the Super Bowl

Mexal

Sorry, DVD. That's not quite a bengals level of loss, but it's up there.

It's true, but being upset is wearing off already. The fact is, I was so down on this team in the preseason and coming into this week that I'm a little shocked it was actually competitive. And I'm glad that Trent acquitted himself OK; 15/25 for 212 and 2 TD is respectable; if he can stay at 8.5 YPA for the season and keep picks down, I'll be OK with it (especially once Marshawn comes back). I'm also a little stunned that the OLine didn't get him killed. Hooray for that.

By the way...could someone clue Gruden into the fact that Light's first name is Matt and not Todd? Jesus, that was a serious Brandon Arroyo series. Worse perhaps because there aren't even any Todds, or anything close (Tom is the closest) on the offense.

Todd Light (Lyght?) was a Cornerback for, I believe, the Rams back in the day. It's a common mistake sportscasters have been making in reference to Light for years. Did not hear Gruden do it, though.

Must suck to be a Raiders fan.

Is it two rookies? They've been saying all night that it is 3 OL playing in their first NFL game.

Two rookie guards, and I believe their LT, Bell, was a previous backup starting his first game. If I remember correctly, he was starting because the Bills cut Langston Walker right before the season. I can't be sure because offensive linemen seem to be the only guys whose names don't show up in the box scores anywhere.

I'm going to chalk last night's games up to the old "first games of the year are always quirky because both teams are still finding their way around" principle, and try not to draw too many frightful conclusions about the way the Pats' offensive and defensive lines looked, and the ramifications for their upcoming game against a very tough-looking Jets team.

I'm going to chalk last night's games up to the old "first games of the year are always quirky because both teams are still finding their way around" principle, and try not to draw too many frightful conclusions about the way the Pats' offensive and defensive lines looked, and the ramifications for their upcoming game against a very tough-looking Jets team.

I think the most unspoken, impending disaster from last night's game was that Jerrod Mayo did not return after his injury. As bad as last night looked, it could be worse.

I think the most unspoken, impending disaster from last night's game was that Jerrod Mayo did not return after his injury. As bad as last night looked, it could be worse.

That too. Big, big injury if it turns out to be serious.

I feel like I say this every year, but there sure have been a lot of injuries in the early going. Polamalu, Urlacher, Posluzny, Mayo... lots of teams lost their defensive pillars in Week 1.

Also, how good did Richard Seymour look? I understand that they essentially traded him now instead of having to release him next year for nothing, so that's good; but basically they gave up a year's worth of Seymour rocking it and potentially another pro bowler for a pick two years from now.

In two years, what are the Pats going to look like?

Just odd. But hey, Oakland's defense looks surprisingly awesome, especially against the pass. Asomugha's still a beast, but now the rest of the secondary looks capable.

I wanna credit the Raiders and Bills for making the first Monday Night far more entertaining than I thought possible. Alright, so the entire third quarter of Chargers-Raiders made me want to gouge my eyes out, but the ending was good. Even included a JaMarcus Russell miracle TD pass to a completely uncovered receiver on 4th and 15 (somehow that kind of thing always seems to happen to Norv Turner coached teams. I know he's just in charge of the offense...but it really did give me flashbacks) followed by the total collapse of the Raiders defense which had played great all night and really dominated the Chargers offense...up until the most important moment.

Just tragic. Was rooting for both Cinderellas...just a shame both of their magical evenings went the way of Carrie.

Hopefully the young defenders they've been bringing on like Mayo, Meriweather, Brace, etc will be in their primes and dominant.

It does give one pause to realize that Seymour, for all that he looked like he's lost a step in the last couple years, is younger than Randy Moss and Adalius Thomas.

Also, how good did Richard Seymour look?

He looked great; the guy is a perennial pro-bowler and he is a professional. The guy is a stud. There is no debate there.

I understand that they essentially traded him now instead of having to release him next year for nothing, so that's good; but basically they gave up a year's worth of Seymour rocking it and potentially another pro bowler for a pick two years from now.

Its really a hard call to make, but one that the Patriots would have been fools to turn down. In fact, one analyst stated that no team in the NFL would have turned that deal down and that no other team besides the Raiders would have made it. Seymour's loss is going to be felt all year; make no mistake. But the Pats avoid another UGLY Asante Samuell situation, dump the money and get a very intriguing pick. If 2011 has a rookie salary cap, the Pats just landed pure paydirt (assuming the Raiders blow). All of this has the backdrp of Seymour who, IIRC, has only played a full 16 games once in his career and has been pulled more and more by the Pats in passing situations.

I also find the Raiders' ability to keep Seymour after this season dubious at best without using the franchise tag which seems likely.

I don't know what the Pats will look like THIS season! But my desire is that they pick up a variety of defensive studs who can fill in the gaps, with a guy like Mayo or Merriweather to be a real leader along with an aging A. Thomas or other solid free agent we sign. I think they have Brady and some developing WRs or free agents. The running game will still suck.

Yeah, that's sort of what I was getting at, DG. I know that they've got some youth there in Mayo and Meriweather (though he's still not impressed me that much) and Chung, but at the same time they've just lost Bruschi, Vrabel, Seymour, and have Moss, Brady, Springs, Galloway (who is expendable), Faulk, Morris all as 10 or greater years. In two years time they're going to be 34 or greater, at least. I keep thinking that if the Pats want to win anything, they're going to have to go into win now mode. And they don't seem to be.

I'm also kinda surprised that they'd care about the cap space for 2010 as well, given that there's every indication that there will not be a cap come 2010. And it's not like the Pats are hurting for money, either; they could easily outspend almost anyone, and it's clear Seymour would have preferred to stay in NE.

Yeah, that's sort of what I was getting at, DG. I know that they've got some youth there in Mayo and Meriweather (though he's still not impressed me that much) and Chung, but at the same time they've just lost Bruschi, Vrabel, Seymour, and have Moss, Brady, Springs, Galloway (who is expendable), Faulk, Morris all as 10 or greater years. In two years time they're going to be 34 or greater, at least. I keep thinking that if the Pats want to win anything, they're going to have to go into win now mode. And they don't seem to be.

Well it does comfort me to think that Belichick is constantly reloading even for 2011 and trying to stay competitive for the next decade, but yes, I'd really really like to see them take the Super Bowl this year, and I figure Richard Seymour in a contract year would have been a big help for that. What I saw in this year's draft is that Belichick is trying to bring youth into the lines, which is probably overdue. But at some point the unproductive drafts of 2-4 years ago are going to catch up with them.

As for all the veteran leadership they've lost, that's always a question for me -- how much does "leadership" matter when the leader isn't what he used to be on the field? Vrabel and Bruschi were done. I don't consider Galloway to be very significant -- at this point they just need him to be slightly better than Gaffney.

I'm also kinda surprised that they'd care about the cap space for 2010 as well, given that there's every indication that there will not be a cap come 2010. And it's not like the Pats are hurting for money, either; they could easily outspend almost anyone, and it's clear Seymour would have preferred to stay in NE.

Me too, but then I can't be bothered to keep up with all the performance-based restrictions on what teams can do with their own free agents and league free agents in 2010 and 2011, so I don't know if there are other considerations beyond cap management.

Archived