Questioning the faith

Crazydog7

By posting about how it's pointless you are basically working against progress. Also people like you lead to creationists and creationists actively halt and work against progress

You actually sound like a robot. At least to me. You have a delusion that you are above me on some sort of philosophical hierarchy, without even realising that i once had a very similar stance to you, before abandoning it out of the pointless egotism and idiocy it seemed to revolve around.

For someone who claims to be a proud anti-intellectual, you sure spend a lot of time in a thread about someone else's search for truth.

I simply posted my opinion. Other people questioned it, and i answered them. Apparantly frustrated by this, i have now been declared unfit to reproduce.

Btw, I'm not an 'anti-intellectual'. I doubt 'theloneliest monk' actually understands the meaning of the word. Although i am not a scientist (though there is nothing wrong with being one), i am fascinated by the arts and would never stand in the way of progress or development. My stance is more a religious one, i see no point in debating my faith when it consists of things insubstantial and with nothing but conjecture and theory as tools to do so. I'd far rather just live my life with my own particular ideas on faith and God since they make me happy and do nothing to bother anyone else (apart from apparantly some on this board?).

You actually sound like a robot. At least to me. You have a delusion that you are above me on some sort of philosophical hierarchy, without even realising that i once had a very similar stance to you, before abandoning it out of the pointless egotism and idiocy it seemed to revolve around.

I hate philosophy, it's is not a philosophy that progress is necessary to survive. If your going to talk about how everyone should just believe what they want and "be happy" then keep it to yourself because if people actually listen to you that will impede progress, and once we stop progressing we are fucked.

What I see alot in real life is people having blind arrogant faith in science, anyone pontificating that here? :P Faith in "Science" is just as blind as faith in an omnipotent God. There is no unified Science, no Progress, no teleological universe. There's something very much in common in these two groups, they both have faith in their all powerful science or God, what happens when that faith is lost?

Btw my God last night was a screwed up chocolate tinfoil wrapper he got a wife and two kids as me and my niece and nephew went on a Horrid Norwich walk last night :P

Yeeaaaah.

I don't care that he doesn't care. In fact, I prefer religious people who don't care since they can't be bothered to be all fucking nutty about their religion.

New alt person, look up faith & belief and then tell me whats wrong about having 'faith' the sun will rise. Or 'belief' that if I step off the top of a building, I will fall to the ground. Rapidly.

as a pre-rebuttal here is your link to figure it out: www.letmegooglethatforyou.com

I hate philosophy, it's is not a philosophy that progress is necessary to survive. If your going to talk about how everyone should just believe what they want and "be happy" then keep it to yourself because if people actually listen to you that will impede progress, and once we stop progressing we are fucked.

Since humanity is filled with individuals, this won't happen. Some people are meant to be scientists, others are meant to be priests, others are meant to be football players, others are meant to be artists. Thats what makes the world great. ;)

My only dislike is for those who place themselves on a pedestal.

Yeeaaaah.

I don't care that he doesn't care. In fact, I prefer religious people who don't care since they can't be bothered to be all fucking nutty about their religion.

New alt person, look up faith & belief and then tell me whats wrong about having 'faith' the sun will rise. Or 'belief' that if I step off the top of a building, I will fall to the ground. Rapidly.

as a pre-rebuttal here is your link to figure it out: www.letmegooglethatforyou.com

I don't know if he cares or not, I care so there you go.

Now why try to denigrate people? I'm new here, so I'm no alt. I know why you try as I always touch nerves in the Faithful :P

I'm talking about Faith, in something that is all encompassing all powerful all knowing, we humans don't have a great track record do we. More wars are fought now than ever before, more people die or disease and hunger that could be cured, I don't see the Progress that is touted.

What's all the silly talk about faith in the sun rising? doesn't the earth go round the sun shouldn't it be the earth spinning away from the sun at that point on its trajectory around the sun:P

Edit: When we talk about sciences or Gods we really are talking about ourselves, things that can change EVERYTHING, to question our faith in something so fundamental that would be a betrayl of ourselves ;) I I I me me me. Gods and sciences come from us, us.

Since humanity is filled with individuals, this won't happen. Some people are meant to be scientists, others are meant to be priests, others are meant to be football players, others are meant to be artists. Thats what makes the world great. ;)

My only dislike is for those who place themselves on a pedestal.

Alright I can agree with that. If this is what you've been saying all along I apologize I'm tired.

I'm talking about Faith, in something that is all encompassing all powerful all knowing, we humans don't have a great track record do we. More wars are fought now than ever before, more people die or disease and hunger that could be cured, I don't see the Progress that is touted.

I don't have faith in anything becuase faith is by definition belief without evidence and I just can't do that, faith is far from all encompassing, has way to much power but is losing it daily, and knows almost nothing that's why it's called faith instead of fact. You can't blame any wars on science and the people that are dying are dying in spite of science not because of it. Because of science we can produce enough food for the entire world and cure and eliminate some of the most common diseases in the world. That we don't is a transportation and funds problem. It has nothing to do with science.

Alright I can agree with that. If this is what you've been saying all along I apologize I'm tired.

I don't have faith in anything becuase faith is by definition belief without evidence and I just can't do that, faith is far from all encompassing, has way to much power but is losing it daily, and knows almost nothing that's why it's called faith instead of fact. You can't blame any wars on science and the people that are dying are dying in spite of science not because of it. Because of science we can produce enough food for the entire world and cure and eliminate some of the most common diseases in the world. That we don't is a transportation and funds problem. It has nothing to do with science.

Where's the evidence for a unified Science? As to science never starting any wars? What about the nuclear arms race then? :P Or Eugenics the science of the 'races' that led to millions dying in Nazi concentrations camps? Just as two small examples.

It was a joke :dunno:
As was my reply.

"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." ~ Robert Oppenheimer following the testing of the atomic bomb. Or perhaps Joseh Mengele? I think that it is safe to say that the "pursuit of science" certainly has its share of skeletons in their closets, not as much as religion, but the human race is still young.

Where's the evidence for a unified Science? As to science never starting any wars? What about the nuclear arms race then? :P Or Eugenics the science of the 'races' that led to millions dying in Nazi concentrations camps? Just as two small examples.

I'm not sure what you mean by unified Science, I know everything in Biology is unified through evolution, everything discovered in one field of Biology is applicable to all other fields od biology so I suppose a unifying theory of science is possible.

The nuclear arms race was caused by a war it was not a war itself, and eugenics is and always will be a pervasion of true science. There is no definition of race in biology, there have been attempts but no agreement.

Oh and Hitler was a Creationist.

I'm not sure what you mean by unified Science, I know everything in Biology is unified through evolution, everything discovered in one field of Biology is applicable to all other fields od biology so I suppose a unifying theory of science is possible.

The nuclear arms race was caused by a war it was not a war itself, and eugenics is and always will be a pervasion of true science. There is no definition of race in biology, there have been attempts but no agreement.

Oh and Hitler was a Creationist.

False questions, leading questions to trap you. Google the code words then click that lovely ignore button. This one wants to make this thread their own sewage system.

As was my reply.

oh...

"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." ~ Robert Oppenheimer following the testing of the atomic bomb. Or perhaps Joseh Mengele? I think that it is safe to say that the "pursuit of science" certainly has its share of skeletons in their closets, not as much as religion, but the human race is still young.

Everything science creates has it good and bad uses true, but most of them, including nulcear, is mostly good. If people were willing to get some actual knowledge and stop making exceptions into rules we would have more nuclear plants and the cost of energy would be virtually nothing, but that's a disscusion for a different thread. Everything in religion on the other hand seems to inevitably lead to the bad, science seems to have self policing mechanisms IMHO.

And perhaps its not all bad to have elements of anti-curiousity. There are some topics that don't interest me at all and I don't really think about them. Does that make me a bad idiot for not caring about X or Y? Perhaps.

I agree in general- no one person can have passionate interest in every topic in the world that is worthy of curiosity... there's always an element of having to choose priorities... but if you don't care about something, why go into a thread specifically about that subject to broadcast how much you don't care?

I agree in general- no one person can have passionate interest in every topic in the world that is worthy of curiosity... there's always an element of having to choose priorities... but if you don't care about something, why go into a thread specifically about that subject to broadcast how much you don't care?

To tell the others that their excessive caring is foolish. As in, why the hell are you all so worked up about which Aes Sedai was captured by the super triplets in Tear because they DIED. Or who cares if Dasani water is Atlanta, GA tapwater? Or ... many other things I don't care about and find weird that others act like someone shit in their pool over it.

/spoiler ned dies (as we say in wow)

GOOD NEWS EVERYONE!

A little confusion regarding what organized religion you should follow is understandable. Fortunately, this flowchart will make everything clear.

Ugh.

I'm Jewish and I love Hummus. I would suggest replacing that question with "Do you tend to declare holy war on people?"

As was my reply.

The only reason science doesn't have as many casualties as religion is the head start religion had.

Science has its villains, religion has its villains, and I noticed one thing about the villains that they share.

They both disregard much of their field.

Hitler killed in the name of science (to purify the Arean Race), while disregarding one of the basics of Eugenics (IE. That evolution had to happen)

Torquemada disregarded the whole "Thou Shalt Not Kill" thing in the bible.

The only reason science doesn't have as many casualties as religion is the head start religion had.

Science has its villains, religion has its villains, and I noticed one thing about the villains that they share.

They both disregard much of their field.

Hitler killed in the name of science (to purify the Arean Race), while disregarding one of the basics of Eugenics (IE. That evolution had to happen)

Torquemada disregarded the whole "Thou Shalt Not Kill" thing in the bible.

I'm sorry, but this is just ridiculous. It's not like science is catching up or anything. From what I can see, religion's lead is STILL growing. Fast. I really hope you were laughing or drinking while posting that.

Ser_not_appearing_yet,

Ha! This has got to be satire, yeah?

Well hell, while we're at it, let's lay ALL of history's casualties on Science! A suicide bomber may have thought he was killing in the name of religion, but actually we have to blame the guy who invented the bomb! Torquemada wouldn't have been much cop without those evil scientists inventing racks and thumbscrews, and I think the trumpet-makers can be held totally responsible for all of Joshua's victims.

Guys, if we do have to play the "my genocide is bigger than yours!" game, can we at least have a slightly more sensible way of assessing motives?

Archived