Excercise and Fitness X-treme

TheLoneliestMonk

Jesus Christ, Stego. I knew you were a huge military dude, but that's insane.

Thanks, but Luke is far more impressive. I have about 12 or 13 years on him, remember. If he continues with what he's doing, he has no limits.

Those are some awesome goals Quiet. Good luck with those, I mean seriously good luck, you're gonna need it, lol.

Thanks, I know. I'm not starting from ground zero, but it's going to be a challenge. But there are a lot of little steps that I'm already working on. And it'll be awesome when I make it.

Since we're all posting goals:

1) Be able to run 8 miles, in wet boots, cross-country, in ankle-deep mud, maintaining an 8-minute mile pace the whole way.

2) Score a 13.8 bleep test.

3) Be able to do 80 push-ups in 2 minutes, 100 sit-ups in 2 minutes and 20 full-extension pull-ups on a beam.

Also, I aim to win at least three fights at the Brazilian Jiujitsu Mundials (world championship) and earn my purple belt.

Legs today, I still couldn't do a 1-legged squat. In fact I feel like I was even less successful today than I was last time.

Exercise Sets Reps

1 Legged Calf Raises 5 20

Toe Lifts 5 20

Frog Jumps 5 20

Glute-Ham Raise 2 20

Jumping Jacks 5 20

Bunny Hops 3 20

Legs today, I still couldn't do a 1-legged squat. In fact I feel like I was even less successful today than I was last time.

What seems to be the trouble? Just curious.

Had a mediocre day at trapeze. I started off awesome, all my flying was spot on, even the teachers said I was perfect, and they NEVER say that. But once we got to the catches I started to get all screwy, couldn't pull off my shoots, launched myself forward instead of up off the bar. Very frustrating.

The remedy, apparently, is clapping push ups with hands and feet clapping. Joy.

What seems to be the trouble? Just curious.

The entire bottom half of the movement, lol. My legs just aren't strong enough for it yet, so I'm just trying to do a few at the beginning of each leg day to see if I've made any progress and then I get on to my usual workout. I need to do more quad work I'm pretty sure.

The entire bottom half of the movement, lol. My legs just aren't strong enough for it yet, so I'm just trying to do a few at the beginning of each leg day to see if I've made any progress and then I get on to my usual workout. I need to do more quad work I'm pretty sure.

I am envisioning that you are doing these kind of like an ice skater movement yes? One leg lifted straight out in front of you, then the squat all the way down and up on one leg? In Pilates, we spot this kind of squat either holding handles attached to springs (gives help for balance and just a little support from arms on way up if you need it) or holding a swinging bar attached to a stable frame (so you can pull yourself up a little if legs give out). This is good because it takes you through the full range of the motion. This kind of squat is quite tricky, hard to make progress if you can't take it all the way down and up, because those last few inches at the bottom are the real kickers. I'd try to figure out a way to be able to get a little bit of spot so you can experiment with full range.

I am envisioning that you are doing these kind of like an ice skater movement yes? One leg lifted straight out in front of you, then the squat all the way down and up on one leg? In Pilates, we spot this kind of squat either holding handles attached to springs (gives help for balance and just a little support from arms on way up if you need it) or holding a swinging bar attached to a stable frame (so you can pull yourself up a little if legs give out). This is good because it takes you through the full range of the motion. This kind of squat is quite tricky, hard to make progress if you can't take it all the way down and up, because those last few inches at the bottom are the real kickers. I'd try to figure out a way to be able to get a little bit of spot so you can experiment with full range.

Yeah I think you have the exactly right idea of what I'm trying to do. I'm trying to take the motion so low that my ass touches my ankle. Doing what you just suggested is actually one of the three ways I've seen online to progress to being able to do the movement correctly. I might try to work something like that out, or I might just do negative or partial movements. Currently I can only get down to 2 inches above parallel and still manage to get back up.

Are we doing goals? I can do goals. Here's my goal: get back to pre-pregnancy weight. Once that has been established, get self back down to 107 pounds of Amazonian muscle. Lugging a baby around for a few hours a day will be pretty good.

My exercise has been nonexistent, but because I babywear it's like I'm walking around with weights. Oy, some days my shoulder and back just kill me, and I get headaches. Currently trying to remedy that by buying different wraps. But there is plenty of bouncing and walking and swaying and more bouncing. My knees are so shot.

I have 2 goals: weight to 150; be able to do the 30 mile hike in 2days, carrying all mygear.

How I will get there: eat better, quit Coke; daily workouts to increase strength and stamina, weekened hikes of increasing distance. Just need the weather to get above 40 on a regular basis for the second one.

hmmm, goals for 2010:

bench 285

deadlift 415

squat 315

keep my 6 mile time at 44 mins.

all without gaining any weight from where I am right now, which is 175. This still leaves me with an extra 10 pounds of belly fat, but so long as I'm not entering any swimsuit competitions, I'm okay with that. Of the three, deadlift and squat seem most doable, bench might be a pipe dream. (as in, I don't have the pipes for it) I'm pretty psyched for the program I'm on now because I've never done a pure "strength" cycle before. It's a series of four workouts done one after the other, repeated at least four times. The meat of it is one set medium rep followed by one set to one rep max, rinse and repeat at higher weight. "Wave loading" the author calls it. The good part is I can feel it working. The bad parts are that I know it doesn't burn that many calories, and afterwards all I want to do is sleep and eat. (Squats day and deadlift day in particular have me looking around for what livestock I can slaughter and throw in a crock pot.) I usually lift before work, and nobody wants a narcoleptic taxi driver.

Heh, it's the New Year, and of course that means only one thing: New Year's resolution folks joining my gym. I'm not too bothered by them because gym n00bs never want to use the power rack, a place where I'm spending more and more time lately. Also it must look like I know what I'm doing now because it seems like I'm getting approached more frequently with questions about what I'm doing. Maybe I just have a kind face. ;)

Oddly enough my legs are not wicked sore today...cool

Mine are. Now that I am done my thesis, I want to get into better shape. I would like to lose 5-10 pounds, but mostly I'd like to just live a healthier lifestyle.

My building has a little gym, we have an elliptical machine, a treadmill, an exercise bike, and some free weights. I ran for 30 minutes a day on the elliptical for the last 2 days, and just now I am starting to feel sore. Maybe I'll try some weights and situps tomorrow instead.

Archived