Excercise and Fitness X-treme

TheLoneliestMonk

I researched the shit out of deadlift form, since it was starting to feel harder to do than squatting, which I know isn't right, and the weight felt way lighter than it has the last few workouts. I felt like a fucking machine pulling that shit off the ground. :smoking:

not meant to be a one and only fix for deadlifting, but have you ever tried standing on a box or platform, and deadlifting off the ground? In my gym, we have this platform that is about five inches high, two feet wide and five feet long. For the longest time I was having problems engaging my glutes and hamstrings on deadlifts, then I tried it that way, forcing me to go down lower, thighs past parallel. I tried it this way for a while, then went back to regular, and voila! Problem solved.

Also, and this is just for me here, I can squat 275 X 1, but deadlift 365 X 1. From what I've read, DLs should be noticably more than your squat.

I, too, love deadlifts. Nothing gives you an after-workout high like a good deadlift session. :)

not meant to be a one and only fix for deadlifting, but have you ever tried standing on a box or platform, and deadlifting off the ground? In my gym, we have this platform that is about five inches high, two feet wide and five feet long. For the longest time I was having problems engaging my glutes and hamstrings on deadlifts, then I tried it that way, forcing me to go down lower, thighs past parallel. I tried it this way for a while, then went back to regular, and voila! Problem solved.

Thanks for the tip. I've never lifting from a platform, but I'll give it a shot. I think there's a richard simmons style step under the rack that would work.

I know squats are usually way out ahead of squats for nearly everyone. I think noce I hit double plates, I'm going to start increasing by 15 each time instead of 10. that, or eventually my squats will stall and it will correct itself.

Practical test went for six hours. Was more emotional than physical as one of our teammates was asked to leave after 3 hours. She just wasn't ready, unfortunately.

Still, I'm sure I'll be feeling the effects of it tomorrow at some point. Really wish I had one more 800mg Motrin pill kickin' around.

Oh yeah, guess I'm a sho dan now but I don't get my belt or certificate until the ceremony in February. It's been a long, tough haul and now, the real training begins. :-D

Practical test went for six hours. Was more emotional than physical as one of our teammates was asked to leave after 3 hours. She just wasn't ready, unfortunately.

Still, I'm sure I'll be feeling the effects of it tomorrow at some point. Really wish I had one more 800mg Motrin pill kickin' around.

Oh yeah, guess I'm a sho dan now but I don't get my belt or certificate until the ceremony in February. It's been a long, tough haul and now, the real training begins. :-D

Congratulations on getting through the test! Being able to carry on through the emotional stress and physical exhaustion is at least as hard as anything you're actually asked to do. I can imagine how difficult it was for everyone when someone was asked to leave--I hope she'll continue to train hard and will be able to make her goals next time.

How many people are usually on a team? I've known multiple people to test at a time, but the idea of testing as a team is interesting to me.

Again, congratulations!

The weather is cooperating today so I can go fly in the trees! Headed to the trapeze rig today for my weekly lesson, and I can't wait! I am going to really work on some basics today and see if I can get my timing perfect so I can practice returns out of my catches (having the catcher throw me back after the catch to re-catch the bar and maybe even swing back up to the jump platform.)

What did you do that took 6 hours?

We go through all our underbelt kata (13 open hand & 6 weapons) throughout the night. You start out as a white belt and move through the ranks. Each belt has it's own number of push ups, sit ups & drills to go through. Any error from any person causes push ups and a restart, for the whole team, of the kata you're working on. Unfortunately our one team member that broke under the pressure made the first three hours crawl. We did 300 push ups in just the first 40 minutes.

When it finally became apparent that she just wasn't ready, they asked her to leave and the rest of the night flowed a bit more smoothly.

After all the kata we had various elements of torture, blocking drills agains black belts, 10 minutes continuous sparring against well rested black belts, etc. There's a lot of ground to cover to test strength of will, endurance, etc.

Congratulations on getting through the test! Being able to carry on through the emotional stress and physical exhaustion is at least as hard as anything you're actually asked to do. I can imagine how difficult it was for everyone when someone was asked to leave--I hope she'll continue to train hard and will be able to make her goals next time.

How many people are usually on a team? I've known multiple people to test at a time, but the idea of testing as a team is interesting to me.

Again, congratulations!

Thank you so much, QC!

The number of teammates varies from year to year and is based on what level people are at at the time of the selection process. You must at least be a 1st Kyu brown belt by X-date in order to be considered for the next cycle. We only have one cycle a year, so the stakes are high if you don't "pass".

We go through all our underbelt kata (13 open hand & 6 weapons) throughout the night. You start out as a white belt and move through the ranks. Each belt has it's own number of push ups, sit ups & drills to go through. Any error from any person causes push ups and a restart, for the whole team, of the kata you're working on. Unfortunately our one team member that broke under the pressure made the first three hours crawl. We did 300 push ups in just the first 40 minutes.

When it finally became apparent that she just wasn't ready, they asked her to leave and the rest of the night flowed a bit more smoothly.

After all the kata we had various elements of torture, blocking drills agains black belts, 10 minutes continuous sparring against well rested black belts, etc. There's a lot of ground to cover to test strength of will, endurance, etc.

That sounds rather draining, and impressive. Congrats.

Thank you!

It's taking me about five minutes to get down the stairs in my house and I can't walk (I'm shuffling) because my calves are all seized up from the 400 jumping jacks that opened the test. It's really comical to watch me get around right now. :-P

lol, jumping jacks. I always thought jumping jacks were jokes because in grade school/high school I never did more than 20 at a time in order to warm up. But then I started doing capoeira and Mestre Corisco made us do them for like 15 minutes, my calves siezed up real quick and were sore for days. Jumping jacks do not get enough respect.

lol, jumping jacks. I always thought jumping jacks were jokes because in grade school/high school I never did more than 20 at a time in order to warm up. But then I started doing capoeira and Mestre Corisco made us do them for like 15 minutes, my calves siezed up real quick and were sore for days. Jumping jacks do not get enough respect.

hahaha, I friggin' loathe jumping jacks. Make me run all you want but dammit don't make me do jumping jacks!

Climbed Mt. Baldy (10,054') today with my dog, Bandit. This time we reached the summit. 8.5 miles roundtrip with 4,000' gain, going from 6200' to over 10,000'. Took 5 hrs 30 minutes. Snow level was about 7500', but I did not strap on my crampons until I reached the Ski Hut at 8200'. Bandit is incredibly strong, and I don't think he's even a year old yet. I forgot to bring my digital camera, so I had to use the camera on my phone to take pics.

Great day at the gym today! put up 150lbs on bench for 3 sets of 5, and 205lbs on squats for 3x5 as well. pull ups I only got 4-3-3 at BW minus 20 kg. Really felt those in my chest for some reason I can't figure out

That test sounds crazy hardcore balefont!

mudguard,

even with the phone camera, that view looks amazing

Climbed Mt. Baldy (10,054') today with my dog, Bandit. This time we reached the summit. 8.5 miles roundtrip with 4,000' gain, going from 6200' to over 10,000'. Took 5 hrs 30 minutes. Snow level was about 7500', but I did not strap on my crampons until I reached the Ski Hut at 8200'. Bandit is incredibly strong, and I don't think he's even a year old yet. I forgot to bring my digital camera, so I had to use the camera on my phone to take pics.

Those views are awesome and your dog is great. I can't wait to get back out hiking next year. I wasn't able to go last year because of training and I ache to return to the wilderness and camping. That looks like a great hike, Mudguard.

Great day at the gym today! put up 150lbs on bench for 3 sets of 5, and 205lbs on squats for 3x5 as well. pull ups I only got 4-3-3 at BW minus 20 kg. Really felt those in my chest for some reason I can't figure out

That test sounds crazy hardcore balefont!

mudguard,

even with the phone camera, that view looks amazing

Thanks. :)

I agree, those pics came out great even with a camera phone.

Glad you had a great day at the gym today. I've never followed lifting so I have no idea what's good or impressive but great job anyway!

Dude, if I can get my ass in gear we should go for a hike. Baldy is right by Rancho C. right?

I wanna look into weather there are good hikes around Big Bear and Lake Arrowhead. Both of them are so close to me and my lazy ass hasn't taken advantage of either.

Memo to the people of Southern California: There is a giant snow-capped mountain in plain site from my office. I literally (and I'm using this word accurately) could not see it thanks to smog during the summer. Go green for clean air alone if nothing else.

Sure, anytime. Yes, Baldy is pretty close to Rancho Cucamonga. I did some really cool hikes in the San Gorgonio Wilderness, which is near Big Bear. Mt. San Gorgonio at over 11,000' is the highest peak in Southern California. Right now, the high country is covered in snow, so unless you have crampons and ice axe, it's better to stick with the front range mountains. Lot's of cool hikes in the front range too.

ETA: Thanks TheLoneliestMonk and Balefont! It was my first time climbing to a summit in the snow, and it was completely different than climbing it during the summer.

Glad you had a great day at the gym today. I've never followed lifting so I have no idea what's good or impressive but great job anyway!

hah, far from impressive, but it's the most I've ever lifted. I try to just get stoked on that....

and to keep my weights off the same page as lessthanlukes :leaving:

Hey guys, I have a question.

I recently started taking a beta blocker medicine for migraine regulation, and it affects my heart rate greatly. When I work out on the eliptical or treadmill I suddenly can't get my heart rate over 125 (if I'm really pushing, if I'm going good it's around 110). I used to be able to keep it around 140-160 for my entire cardio workout.

The doctor says it's fine and to keep working out, but if I can't get my heart rate up is it going to affect my weight loss? I don't have the muscle in my legs to push hard enough to overcome this medicine.

Hey guys, I have a question.

I recently started taking a beta blocker medicine for migraine regulation, and it affects my heart rate greatly. When I work out on the eliptical or treadmill I suddenly can't get my heart rate over 125 (if I'm really pushing, if I'm going good it's around 110). I used to be able to keep it around 140-160 for my entire cardio workout.

The doctor says it's fine and to keep working out, but if I can't get my heart rate up is it going to affect my weight loss? I don't have the muscle in my legs to push hard enough to overcome this medicine.

Beta blocker's interfere with how the heart responds to stimulation. You will not be able to rely on your heart rate to measure how hard you are working. You'll have to gauge your workout intensity on how your body feels.*

For cardio you may want to consider high intensity interval training. If I understand the physiology correctly, you burn calories during the workout but you are relying on the post-workout period to burn most of the fat calories as your body replenishes the glycogen that you used during the work out. Long story short, with the proper intensity level & planning, your actual heart rate may not be an accurate reflexion of how many calories you burn.

*Assuming your physician has cleared you to work out and there are no other issues.

Archived